Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you consider to be 3rd Coast?
Texas to Florida's West Coast 144 64.00%
Chicago & the Great Lakes Region 81 36.00%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 04:38 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
It's on the eastern half of the country, just like the Midwest isn't really that west.

Culture doesn't matter for the gulf coast because as I have already stated - it is extremely similar to the East coast. Houston and Miami are both very VERY similar compared to say Miami and Chicago or Miami and Duluth.
What?? Have you been to both??? They are very different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 04:48 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,519,096 times
Quote:
It's on the eastern half of the country, just like the Midwest isn't really that west.

Culture doesn't matter for the gulf coast because as I have already stated - it is extremely similar to the East coast. Houston and Miami are both very VERY similar compared to say Miami and Chicago or Miami and Duluth.
Ok... and how similar is Houston to New York City and Boston?
The Gulf Coast is not the East Coast, not even close.

Are the Great Lakes part of the East Coast because NY borders one of em and because they're connected to the Atlantic Ocean by seaways? After all, they are connected, and apparently, difference of culture means nothing. It's just as ridiculous as saying the Gulf Coast is part of the East Coast.

Old 06-18-2010, 04:56 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,104,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
Ok... and how similar is Houston to New York City and Boston?
The Gulf Coast is not the East Coast, not even close.

Are the Great Lakes part of the East Coast because NY borders one of em and because they're connected to the Atlantic Ocean by seaways? After all, they are connected, and apparently, difference of culture means nothing. It's just as ridiculous as saying the Gulf Coast is part of the East Coast.
A lot more similar. Connected by a river and connected by the same exact body of water are two different things, first of all.

And let me ask you, how similar is Boston to Portland, Maine? How about to Savannah, Georgia?

It ain't all about culture, but the Gulf has way more in common geographically (physically and culturally) than the Lakes, and that's why I think the Lakes should earn that title. They're far more removed.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:09 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,210,862 times
LOL@ The Gulf Coast and East coast being the same thing. <---- Most irrational statement of the day.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:13 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,519,096 times
Quote:
A lot more similar. Connected by a river and connected by the same exact body of water are two different things, first of all.

And let me ask you, how similar is Boston to Portland, Maine? How about to Savannah, Georgia?

It ain't all about culture, but the Gulf has way more in common geographically (physically and culturally) than the Lakes, and that's why I think the Lakes should earn that title. They're far more removed.
So you're saying Houston is more similar to NYC than say Chicago, Buffalo, or Detroit just because Houston and NYC both border the Atlantic?

And being that Boston and Portland are both New England cities, I'd say the culture they share is similar enough. Good point with Savannah though, but I already mentioned that there are many who exclusively mean the Northeast when they mention the Eastern Seaboard, or East Coast. When you apply the term to the entire coast, people generally focus on the fact that it's a coast, that faces East, in the Eastern US. Not to mention the East Coast does share a common history separate from the Gulf, the 13 Colonies, the epicenter of the Civil War.

I get your argument that the Lakes are removed from the coasts with their own identity, but trying to argue the Gulf isn't, isn't what you should be trying to use to prove the Lakes as the 3rd coast. I've never heard of anyone else who considered the East and Gulf Coasts as the same thing.

The Great Lakes may deserve the title, but it isn't because the Gulf is part of the East Coast. Like I don't know all about this but, wasn't the Great Lakes region established as a trade and population region earlier and faster than the Gulf? I think something like that might give it a good argument, if it was like first.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:13 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times
Quote:

Your joking right??? Cancun, Houston, Tampa, Corpus Christi, Miami, New Orleans, Havana, and more are all apart of the Gulf of Mexico. Are you seriously going to sit here and say the Great Lakes is a much more diverse area???

Old 06-18-2010, 07:47 PM

Where did I say anything about diversity?

Old 06-18-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
So you're saying Houston is more similar to NYC than say Chicago, Buffalo, or Detroit just because Houston and NYC both border the Atlantic?

And being that Boston and Portland are both New England cities, I'd say the culture they share is similar enough. Good point with Savannah though, but I already mentioned that there are many who exclusively mean the Northeast when they mention the Eastern Seaboard, or East Coast. When you apply the term to the entire coast, people generally focus on the fact that it's a coast, that faces East, in the Eastern US. Not to mention the East Coast does share a common history separate from the Gulf, the 13 Colonies, the epicenter of the Civil War.

I get your argument that the Lakes are removed from the coasts with their own identity, but trying to argue the Gulf isn't, isn't what you should be trying to use to prove the Lakes as the 3rd coast. I've never heard of anyone else who considered the East and Gulf Coasts as the same thing.

The Great Lakes may deserve the title, but it isn't because the Gulf is part of the East Coast. Like I don't know all about this but, wasn't the Great Lakes region established as a trade and population region earlier and faster than the Gulf? I think something like that might give it a good argument, if it was like first.
Actually, a lot of the Gulf coast faces east including the Mississippi Delta and Texas coastline, which shares more raw, contiguous gulf coastline than any other state except for maybe Florida.

When I hear east coast, I think the southeast and northeast that borders the Atlantic/seas. Maybe that's because I'm inland southerner/midwesterner or something, who knows. Either way, I'd still argue that while the gulf and east coast are not the same (never claimed they were) they have MORE in relation with one another than the east coast and lakes. That is what I was originally getting at.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:41 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,847,360 times
Quote:
Yes to this.

Quote:
After living in Maine for a long time I can answer this quite well. Other than being vastly different sizes in their "metro" areas, Portland, ME and Boston are very similar. After all they are only about an 1 1/2 hours apart, and that is stopping at a DD for a regular and a cruller. (Old town portion of Portland to North Station in Boston). Either of those and Savannah, GA are night and day. Any of those 3 and most of the Gulf cities and again it is totally different.

Quote:
Geographically the Gulf is close, culturally though they are further apart than anyplace on the Great Lakes. AS for the "title" 3rd Coast I don't see why anyplace would WANT it. That sounds like 2nd place loser (Yes I will still maintain that lots of places here in the Great Lakes have been using that title for a LONG time). I really prefer fresh coast like somebody else mentioned and see nothing wrong with Gulf Coast as is. Sounds like your conceding the fact that either the East or West Coasts are better with 3rd Coast. Might as well call it 3rd Place Coast then.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:53 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,986,110 times
Quote:
Where did I say anything about diversity?
Quote:

Right there bud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City