Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you consider to be 3rd Coast?
Texas to Florida's West Coast 144 64.00%
Chicago & the Great Lakes Region 81 36.00%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 11:40 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
They don't dump actual trash into the ocean. They're sewage does probably get dumped, but is that any different than all the sewage that flows into lake Michigan form Milwaukee? Human waste is biodegradable. That sucks for you that you ban cruise ships because of stupid things like that, that are going to happen anyways. If you drive a car, take airplanes, flush your toilet in your home, etc. Then you might as well enjoy a cruise every once in a while. You only live once, and they are a blast.
Caribbean cruise ships dump garbage at sea - SFGate
Cruise Ship Pollution: Overview | Oceana North America
No, they really do dump solid waste and untreated sewage right into the oceans.

The Deep Tunnel Debate - Murphy's Law - Milwaukee Magazine
Milwaukee actually does a much better job preventing sewer overflows than most cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 11:48 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,689,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Caribbean cruise ships dump garbage at sea - SFGate
Cruise Ship Pollution: Overview | Oceana North America
No, they really do dump solid waste and untreated sewage right into the oceans.

The Deep Tunnel Debate - Murphy's Law - Milwaukee Magazine
Milwaukee actually does a much better job preventing sewer overflows than most cities.
Then I guess you need to ban airplanes too. I guess you can never travel and see the world. You might as well just stay home and play on CD all day. Its much better for the environment, and while your home make sure you turn all the lights off and limit your self to one flush a day .

Those islands have no dumping bans of their coasts, thats their fault. Its not like they're dumping plastic bags. Everything they dump is grounded up, like sand.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:48 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Why does it fit better for the South and why does everybody keep ignoring the political connotation of the word "coast"?

The East and West Coasts are known for being progressive Blue states, while the Gulf states are among the most conservative Red states in the U.S. The Great Lakes are the 3rd Coast because they are all Blue states, with the unfortunate exception of Indiana (thankfully Iowa makes up for them).
First off, regardless of how big the Great Lakes are....they are lakes!!! And on top of that; it's a region of multiple lakes. The name just doesn't fit to me.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:50 AM

1,416 posts, read 3,210,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
First off, regardless of how big the Great Lakes are....they are lakes!!! And on top of that; it's a region of multiple lakes. The name just doesn't fit to me.
Is my exact point I was making.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:04 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
Is my exact point I was making.
You had a point this whole time?

Old 06-15-2010, 01:15 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,996 times
Well, so far some of the sources given for why the Gulf Coast should be called the "3rd Coast" are: Pages they edited themselves that day on Wikipedia, hip hop artists, Urbandictionary of all places (lol), it's winning on a poll on city-data (lol), and the fact that the oceans and gulfs have more salt somehow giving you skin cancer faster, which I guess is a good thing to some people?

BTW before this whole argument started the Wikipedia page stated that 3rd Coast was the Great Lakes region, and now it does again. So clearly something is wrong there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I had it backwards. The water will boil at a higher temperature there by making the food cook faster (in theory anyways) this isn't always the case due to variations in water composition. Salt molecules do however amplify the rays of the sun which is why you get burnt much faster in or near the ocean.
You were clearly wrong and proven wrong, yet you still don't want to admit that.
Quote:
Whats the point? The people on C-D have spoken. You lose, get over it already.
Some people on city-data voted that Atlanta was more urban than San Francisco in a poll, you get the picture?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I can tell from your posts that I have lived on the Gulf Coast longer than you have been alive and have never heard it referred to as the 3rd coast.

You have been proven wrong in just about every one of your posts yet don't feel the need to apologize for calling people names even after you were schooled.

Your best bet would be to tuck you tail between your legs and go watch Nick at Nite or something.
Exactly.
Quote:
Third Coast - Houston To Tampa

Last Coast, No Coast, Cold Coast = Great Lakes. Exception Of Illinois. At Least they made something out of it unlike the rest of the states. FAIL
You officially lost any respect and credibility you had left in this argument.
Quote:
Gulf Coast is one contiguous coastline just like the East & West Coasts. These jokers in this thread truly amaze me.
LOL at you still name calling and using more arguments with little to no logic. You've shown time and time again, even in this thread, that you're unwilling to admit that you were wrong when you always are and are continuously proved wrong like in your little salt water argument. You've also lost any respect and credibility you had left here.
Quote:
As far as this thread is concerned, it is Texas-Florida as the poll says.
LOL at a city-data poll being the end-all to an argument.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelieveInCleve View Post
Well, so far some of the sources given for why the Gulf Coast should be called the "3rd Coast" are: Pages they edited themselves that day on Wikipedia, hip hop artists, Urbandictionary of all places (lol), it's winning on a poll on city-data (lol), and the fact that the oceans and gulfs have more salt somehow giving you skin cancer faster, which I guess is a good thing to some people?

BTW before this whole argument started the Wikipedia page stated that 3rd Coast was the Great Lakes region, and now it does again. So clearly something is wrong there.

You were clearly wrong and proven wrong, yet you still don't want to admit that.

Some people on city-data voted that Atlanta was more urban than San Francisco in a poll, you get the picture?

Exactly.

You officially lost any respect and credibility you had left in this argument.

LOL at you still name calling and using more arguments with little to no logic. You've shown time and time again, even in this thread, that you're unwilling to admit that you were wrong when you always are and are continuously proved wrong like in your little salt water argument. You've also lost any respect and credibility you had left here.

LOL at a city-data poll being the end-all to an argument.
****... 3rd coast is Texas to Florida get over it go play in a new thread.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:20 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,996 times
Quote:
****... 3rd coast is Texas to Florida get over it go play in a new thread.
How? because you say so?

You've shown time and time again in this thread that you have an intelligence level of a 3 year old, and I doubt your IQ is above 80. You're the last person I would go to when looking for reliable answers.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelieveInCleve View Post
How? because you say so?

You've shown time and time again in this thread that you have an intelligence level of a 3 year old, and I doubt your IQ is above 80. You're the last person I would go to when looking for reliable answers.
You Live In Cleveland So I can understand your bitterness.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:31 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,890 times
What's the big deal? It's a NAME! Some people (including me) are used to calling the coast from LA to TX the 3rd coast. Some are used to calling the Great Lakes the 3rd coast. What's the problem?

If you want to be technical, the Gulf Coast is the United State's third (or maybe second) coastline in legnth. It also is home to one of the nation's most important economic resource and home to 11 out of the 15 ports handling the most cargo in the U.S. It actually feels weird to refer to a lake as "the coast" IMO, to me it seems like "the shore" or "lakefront" would be appropriate; but I understand that's not the case.

BTW: To those who want to argue that the Gulf is an extension of the Atlantic; if you head a little further south, the Pacific becomes an extension of it as well.

Last edited by WestbankNOLA; 06-15-2010 at 01:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City