Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you consider to be 3rd Coast?
Texas to Florida's West Coast 144 64.00%
Chicago & the Great Lakes Region 81 36.00%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 05:41 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times

Advertisements

Caspian Sea in Asia is the largest Lake in the world. But it is called a "sea" when it is truly a lake.

The Great Lakes do fit the definition of "sea":

sea   [see] Show IPA
–noun
the salt waters that cover the greater part of the earth's surface.
a division of these waters, of considerable extent, more or less definitely marked off by land boundaries: the North Sea.
one of the seven seas; ocean.
a large lake or landlocked body of water.

the degree or amount of turbulence of the ocean or other body of water, as caused by the wind.
the waves.
a large wave: The heavy seas almost drowned us.
a widely extended, copious, or overwhelming quantity: a sea of faces; a sea of troubles.
the work, travel, and shipboard life of a sailor: The sea is a hard life but a rewarding one.

As you can see definition number 4 applies to the Great Lakes, technically they can be called "sea(s)". Why they aren't called "sea" instead of being called "lake" is beyond me, but yes, they do count as seas in all technicality.

As for the question this thread is asking. IMHO, Why would you want your regions coast line to be referred to as the "3rd coast", sounds so unimportant and worthless if you ask me. IMHO though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 05:50 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,923,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
If they are seas why arent they called seas? LAKE Michigan is a LAKE. Yes theyre big lakes but that doesn't mean they have coasts. Do you really think the shores of the great lakes are more of a coast than the gulf COAST?
I believe the problem is, that so many of those like you who try to diminish them when calling them lakes, is that you aren't able to differentiate between these lakes and the other lakes you compare them to. The Great Lakes have shipping, and are a major transporter of iron ore, etc. I don't believe these other lakes that you speak of have ocean-going vessels.

Also, call it what you will, ("rose by any other name") the whole eastern border of Wisconsin and most all of Michigan borders water. Coast, shore, whatever, it's water meeting land - hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of miles of it.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:08 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,248,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi
Caspian Sea in Asia is the largest Lake in the world. But it is called a "sea" when it is truly a lake.

The Great Lakes do fit the definition of "sea":

sea   [see] Show IPA
–noun
the salt waters that cover the greater part of the earth's surface.
a division of these waters, of considerable extent, more or less definitely marked off by land boundaries: the North Sea.
one of the seven seas; ocean.
a large lake or landlocked body of water.

the degree or amount of turbulence of the ocean or other body of water, as caused by the wind.
the waves.
a large wave: The heavy seas almost drowned us.
a widely extended, copious, or overwhelming quantity: a sea of faces; a sea of troubles.
the work, travel, and shipboard life of a sailor: The sea is a hard life but a rewarding one.

As you can see definition number 4 applies to the Great Lakes, technically they can be called "sea(s)". Why they aren't called "sea" instead of being called "lake" is beyond me, but yes, they do count as seas in all technicality.

As for the question this thread is asking. IMHO, Why would you want your regions coast line to be referred to as the "3rd coast", sounds so unimportant and worthless if you ask me. IMHO though.
^^This

If I could "spread the reps" around to OmShahi, I would.

Technically, the Great Lakes are inland seas. They are connected to the St. Lawrence river, which is connected to the Atlantic. Hell, I grew up in a Gulf Coast State, and lived along the Gulf for awhile and I know this. Why some of the other Gulf Coasters on here don't understand this, I don't know, but it doesn't surprise me.

From a historical perspective, I consider the Great Lakes the 3rd Coast, but from a geographical standpoint, I consider the Gulf Coast the 3rd Coast.

However, I don't refer to either of them as the "3rd Coast". The Gulf Coast is just the Gulf Coast or the South Coast to me, and the Great Lakes are the "Fresh Coast" or the "North Coast"(or just "The Great Lakes) to me.

FWIW, I hear the "3rd Coast" term more by Texans than I do by Floridians.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:29 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,705,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
One looks like an ocean up close, the other is part of the ocean.
They both have beaches, waves, and ports.
One is a "coast" by title, the other is naturally a major coastline.
THEY BOTH ARE REFERRED TO AS THE 3RD COAST -> DEAL WITH IT!
Nobody cares outside of some people in the midwest and a handful of people in coastal Texas.

Question: Why do people get offended by "...they're lakes." They are lakes.
What's so cool about the Gulf Coast? It's just an ocean

Old 06-16-2010, 08:52 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
^^This

If I could "spread the reps" around to OmShahi, I would.

Technically, the Great Lakes are inland seas. They are connected to the St. Lawrence river, which is connected to the Atlantic. Hell, I grew up in a Gulf Coast State, and lived along the Gulf for awhile and I know this. Why some of the other Gulf Coasters on here don't understand this, I don't know, but it doesn't surprise me.
Well wouldn't that mean other lakes that are connected to the ocean by rivers are seas too????

Old 06-16-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Well wouldn't that mean other lakes that are connected to the ocean by rivers are seas too????
No. But by the definition that OmShahi provided, they fit to an extent. Surface volume, ocean-going vessels traverse them, the type of ecosystems that abut the lake, and even weather systems are affected by the Great Lakes such as lake-effect snow, or strengthening of storms (Hurricane Hazel being an example). It's even been observed that the Great Lakes have a tidal pull, however, it's minuscule compared to oceans.

Yes, the Great Lakes are "big lakes" as you so eloquently put it, but this isn't exactly Lake Conroe we're talking about here. I don't think anyone here is arguing that they're an extent of the ocean (that would be ridiculous), but I can definitely see how it can be argued that the Great Lakes can be considered inland seas. I think the difference between the Great Lakes vs say the Caspian Sea or the Black Sea is that the Great Lakes are freshwater whereas the Caspian and Black Seas are brackish, so I can definitely see how people are arguing that the Great Lakes aren't seas from that standpoint. I see both sides of the argument, but I still consider them inland seas. No one is really right or wrong on this, and at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter in the overall scheme of things.

Last edited by grindin; 06-16-2010 at 09:19 AM..

Old 06-16-2010, 09:27 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
No. But by the definition that OmShahi provided, they fit to an extent. Surface volume, ocean-going vessels traverse them, the type of ecosystems that abut the lake, and even weather systems are affected by the Great Lakes such as lake-effect snow, or strengthening of storms (Hurricane Hazel being an example). It's even been observed that the Great Lakes have a tidal pull, however, it's minuscule compared to oceans.

Yes, the Great Lakes are "big lakes" as you so eloquently put it, but this isn't exactly Lake Conroe we're talking about here. I don't think anyone here is arguing that they're an extent of the ocean (that would be ridiculous), but I can definitely see how it can be argued that the Great Lakes can be considered inland seas. I think the difference between the Great Lakes vs say the Caspian Sea or the Black Sea is that the Great Lakes are freshwater whereas the Caspian and Black Seas are brackish, so I can definitely see how people are arguing that the Great Lakes aren't seas from that standpoint. I see both sides of the argument, but I still consider them inland seas. No one is really right or wrong on this, and at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter in the overall scheme of things.
I can respect that; I had just always known seas as a large body of water usually mostly surrounded by land ,but connects to the ocean. Kinda like a gulf.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
I can respect that; I had just always known seas as a large body of water usually mostly surrounded by land ,but connects to the ocean. Kinda like a gulf.
I've known people to argue whether the Gulf of Mexico is a sea or an ocean. It's hilarious in a way.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:48 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,705,881 times
Does the Gulf have this?
http://www.northernimages.com/Wallpapers/Wallpapers-Normal-Screen/ns-3/349204906_JGL7f-M-1.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-16-2010, 09:53 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,845,145 times
Quote:
The Sea of Galilee is freshwater and is a LOT smaller than any of the Great Lakes. It is only about 65 square miles. The smallest of the Great Lakes is Ontario at 7,340 square miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City