Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 11:33 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,181,390 times

Advertisements

Florida is always losing natives, hense why sometimes it's not even considered part of the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 11:47 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,549,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
Florida is always losing natives, hence why sometimes it's not even considered part of the south.
Maybe. I think another part is that Florida was not really well-populated before around 1900. In fact I think I heard somewhere it was the second smallest state, in population, in the Confederacy. (I believe Arkansas was smaller) Then, particularly after WWI, Northerners started emigrating there and in time overwhelmed the "native Southern" population in most areas. (Much of the Panhandle I believe stayed fairly Southern)

Old 05-10-2010, 12:22 AM

3,717 posts, read 8,181,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Maybe. I think another part is that Florida was not really well-populated before around 1900. In fact I think I heard somewhere it was the second smallest state, in population, in the Confederacy. (I believe Arkansas was smaller) Then, particularly after WWI, Northerners started emigrating there and in time overwhelmed the "native Southern" population in most areas. (Much of the Panhandle I believe stayed fairly Southern)
Yeah and actually a lot of people don't realize this but there are still a good amount of areas in Central Florida as well like Tampa Bay Area that still has a significant amount of southern culture. Once your in South Florida though there is none. Thats because nobody ever really settled in South Florida until recently, for the longest time it was just vacated swamp land.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:48 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,635,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
States with a large outflux of natives

- California
- Illinois
- Massachusetts
- Michigan
- New York
- Ohio

States with a large influx of natives

- Colorado
- Florida
- Georgia
- North Carolina
- Texas
- Virginia
Actually California has one of the highest percentage of native born that stay in state.
TX, NC, GA, CA and WI had the highest percentage of native born over 18 still living in state. MI and OH are in the top ten also.

Of your list of those staying in state Colorado and Virginia are borderline but the rest do retain native born pretty well.
Maps: Migration Flows in the United States - Pew Social & Demographic Trends

Old 05-10-2010, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I can read, you know. I'm saying it has to do with population too. I'm not the one who needs reading comprehension (more people would agree that a teacher with 2 degrees has more comprehension than a HS kid).
This thread has nothing at all to do with population.

I think you would also be wrong about more people agreeing with you because you have 2 degrees. It does say something that the HS kid you refer to was able to stay on topic yet those 2 degrees did not help you in that respect.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
And I'd say half of them end up moving back to NY.
Do you have anything to back up this claim or is it just you saying it?

Old 05-10-2010, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
Florida is always losing natives, hense why sometimes it's not even considered part of the south.
Florida is 11th highest at retaining native born.

It is just the high in migration from other states that make it seem as if the native born leave.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:16 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
Florida has long had a high influx of immigrants, who stay for the rest of their lives, maybe 5 or 10 years. But what about West Virginia? It seems to lose a lot, even though it is within commuting distance to Washington DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City