U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-05-2010, 02:43 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,664,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
I can relate to a lot of that, especially late 2009, for me it was the worst year I've had.
After an accident and my little brothers passing away, I became extremely depressed too, especially because I blamed myself for transferring schools from UMich Ann Arbor to UT-Austin just to be closer to family and taking their time for granted because I was out having a good time with friends...
I went into a very long depression, something that I just came out of in late February, and I ended up gaining 23 lbs from what i weighed in September, I've been working on it as well. I don't look any different, people still think I'm very skinny, I guess my height has a lot to do with that, but none of my clothes fit me properly.
I've managed to lose 14 lbs, and I'm trying to lose everything gained.

I guess what my point is, often at times people need to realize sooner how much your health matters in the long run. It's a shame that we don't have a more proactive system to help people who are at risk because of over weight, help them and motivate them to make a change.

I know a lot of people want to do it, but they quit before they even start... it's sad to see that, especially here in Texas...

Anyways, good work, and keep it up, you're a good inspiration for others!

Thanks, I appreciate it. I have hypertension running on one side of my family and diabetes on the other. I HAD to do something, otherwise, I was terrified I wouldn't live to see 45. And if I did, it wasn't going to be fun.

People have no idea how humiliating it can be to find decent clothes at a decent price at that size or how difficult climbing stairs, sitting on beds, or sitting in an airplane can be when you're overweight. Not to mention a crappy sex life (or lack thereof) and issues with um, blood-flow. But anyway, I would get depressed and beat myself up and realize that hey, I wasn't crying when I was stuffing my face full of Hostess Cupcakes and a Popeye's Two-Piece-and-a-biscuit, so why start now?

I'll be knocking on the door of 30 next year , and I definitely want to enjoy my thirties much more than I have my twenties, that's for sure.

Congrats to you on your weight loss as well.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 03:00 PM

3,973 posts, read 7,103,895 times
Lower incomes = consumption of lower priced food = poor food choices = overweight people, (not everyone, but in general)

Old 05-05-2010, 03:32 PM

245 posts, read 34,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Lower incomes = consumption of lower priced food = poor food choices = overweight people, (not everyone, but in general)
I would add "car culture" (drive through banks, mc donalds, pharmacies) to that list. Walking is very basic and simple excersise and there is no way to like New York if you don't like walking.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:34 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,215,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
this is about waistlines, not heads...
ROTFL, why didn't I think of that one.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:49 PM

4,184 posts, read 6,639,849 times
Thats funny how people think that the people in suburbs exercise less. Just cause people walk to work (which is a small fraction of the US populartion) doesn't mean they are healthier. I live in the suburbs and I see tons of people jogging mornings and evenings before and after work, the gyms are always crowded, and tennis courts basket ball courts etc are always in use.

There are people who can live in Manhattan and ride the subway everywhere and walk short distances to where they need to go since everythings close, and not exercise at all.

And this has nothing to do with suburbs vs city living, but since when did expensive food = healthier food?

btw plain old walking is not considered exercise to me.. I walk a lot throughout the day, and I still exercise.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:56 PM

3,548 posts, read 4,908,709 times
Whoo, DC represent. #3 thinnest city.

I guess San Franciscans are so thin because they have to walk up all those hills?

Old 05-05-2010, 04:05 PM

3,070 posts, read 7,724,065 times
I lived in Cincinnati for nearly a year combined (not including all the times I visited) and there's no way it's really on the thinner side.

There's so many fat people waddling around taking up entire hallways/doorways it's ridiculous.

Old 05-05-2010, 04:20 PM

4,184 posts, read 6,639,849 times
how was this list made. did they knock at everyones door in every city and weigh them?

Old 05-05-2010, 04:21 PM

289 posts, read 595,297 times
Ive' NEVER read a post on here saying NYC is fat. Detroit is the fattest city in the US though, followed by Austin, Everything is bigger in Texas right?!

Old 05-05-2010, 04:24 PM

289 posts, read 595,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermolas View Post
Ive' NEVER read a post on here saying NYC is fat. Detroit is the fattest city in the US though, followed by Austin, Everything is bigger in Texas right?!

Just kidding those are old statistics

But still CC is number one! Everything is bigger in Texas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City