U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 05:37 PM

13,318 posts, read 13,040,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermolas View Post
Ive' NEVER read a post on here saying NYC is fat. Detroit is the fattest city in the US though, followed by Austin, Everything is bigger in Texas right?!
Austin being an outdoor and great weather city helps with people running and walking all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 06:09 PM

5,308 posts, read 8,835,184 times
I've seen Houston and Sugar Land, TX (suburb) on fittest city lists.

CDC data I've seen had San Antonio as the only TX city toward the top. Dallas nowhere near the top.

Something's wrong.

And yes, the Texas-bashing in these stupid articles by writers who have probably never set foot in the state is getting very tired and cliche.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:12 PM

902 posts, read 1,569,268 times
To my knowledge the two fattest large US cities are Houston and Detroit.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:15 PM

896 posts, read 565,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carverR View Post
I would add "car culture" (drive through banks, mc donalds, pharmacies) to that list. Walking is very basic and simple excersise and there is no way to like New York if you don't like walking.
It seems like a lot of rural areas, which requires more driving, seem to have a high obesity rate also.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:18 PM

5,308 posts, read 8,835,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I guess NYC isn't fat like so many on here like to believe
Maybe because it made this fattest cities list.

But like I've said before, most of these lists from the pop-culture so-called news sources have some degree of bogus.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:56 PM

8,904 posts, read 6,433,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Maybe because it made this fattest cities list.

But like I've said before, most of these lists from the pop-culture so-called news sources have some degree of bogus.

Well, apparently not anymore. In the last 2 years, the city has banned trans-fats and salt; whereas the south just increases those 2 ingredients

Old 05-05-2010, 08:59 PM

8,904 posts, read 6,433,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post

And yes, the Texas-bashing in these stupid articles by writers who have probably never set foot in the state is getting very tired and cliche.

No, they're just speaking the truth

Old 05-05-2010, 09:02 PM

10,043 posts, read 14,402,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Thats funny how people think that the people in suburbs exercise less. Just cause people walk to work (which is a small fraction of the US populartion) doesn't mean they are healthier. I live in the suburbs and I see tons of people jogging mornings and evenings before and after work, the gyms are always crowded, and tennis courts basket ball courts etc are always in use.

There are people who can live in Manhattan and ride the subway everywhere and walk short distances to where they need to go since everythings close, and not exercise at all.

And this has nothing to do with suburbs vs city living, but since when did expensive food = healthier food?

btw plain old walking is not considered exercise to me.. I walk a lot throughout the day, and I still exercise.
In a lot of areas the cheapest food available is the least healthy. Fast food, heavily processed junk food, etc., is often cheaper than fresh produce and vegetables. And in some of the most impoverished areas its even worse, as those residents don't always have supermarkets and have to depend on either overpriced junk-filled convenience stores or make a long trek to get to a store elsewhere.

As to walking, I think most people who walk don't consider it exercise. That's part of what makes it so much easier to fit it in when you live in a neighborhood that encourages it. It's just part of your daily routine and you burn off calories without even thinking about it. That doesn't mean people who walk a lot don't also go to the gym or go jogging, or that people who live in even the most pedestrian-unfriendly suburbs don't exercise. I admit it, I can be lazy -- I'd burn a lot less calories every day if I was forced to make an actual formal decision to haul myself to a gym or go on a jog every day. A two mile job or mindless stroll on a walking path would be boring. I think nothing of walking two miles on city streets to run errands, though. The environment certainly isn't everything, but it can definitely make it easier or harder for the less motivated among us to fit in physical activity.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:03 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,215,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Well, apparently not anymore. In the last 2 years, the city has banned trans-fats and salt; whereas the south just increases those 2 ingredients
Do you have any statistics or sources to back up those claims?

Old 05-05-2010, 10:34 PM

4,383 posts, read 5,471,354 times
The fattest cities are in the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City