Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: D.C. vs. Chicago
D.C. 153 41.35%
Chicago 217 58.65%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 11:11 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,830,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
And how many people in the world know about the above? This is getting ridiculous.
He's the third most famous economist of all time. I was going with the prestigious argument. If you just want recognition, the University of Miami is more famous than Georgetown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
You've made my point!
Meh. The University of Chicago is more famous in the world than Georgetown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 11:13 AM

31,860 posts, read 34,362,591 times
Quote:
Where did you go to school? And what is it ranked? I guarantee that my school is ranked higher than yours.
Well, we're having a good year in fencing. Not such a great year in hockey.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:26 AM

4,671 posts, read 7,338,136 times
Quote:
Actually, you aren't going to win an asinine argument regarding cultural sophistication of a metro area based on universities either. Did you know the Boston metro area loses most of their graduates to other metro areas? Students attending a university has nothing to do with students staying there after graduation. And if we are talking about cultural sophistication, Chicago is not even close to as educated as the D.C. area so what exactly are you talking about?
I wasn't arguing for or against cultural sophistication. I was replying to this idea that Georgetown is a more prestigious university, which I took to mean academic prestige. The University of Chicago is certainly a more academically prestigious university; Georgetown certainly has higher sports prestige. As to which is more well-known, I haven't asked the entire country or world, but apparently DC's Finest has and can answer for them all...

Old 02-05-2013, 11:44 AM

2,556 posts, read 3,593,301 times
Quote:
Where did you go to school? And what is it ranked? I guarantee that my school is ranked higher than yours.
oh my.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:11 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,103,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
You are waaaaaayyyy out there and perhaps the biggest and most-biased homer. You seem to post only things that fit your own pro-DC agenda. I appreciate your repping DC but it's really not fun collaborating with someone so narrow-minded.
So calling me names will some how devalue my post? Instead, why don't you give me some key examples of Chicago's cultural scene. I think the city excels at a lot of things better than DC but I strongly feel that DC is a step behind NYC when it comes to things to do and see.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
I wasn't arguing for or against cultural sophistication. I was replying to this idea that Georgetown is a more prestigious university, which I took to mean academic prestige. The University of Chicago is certainly a more academically prestigious university; Georgetown certainly has higher sports prestige. As to which is more well-known, I haven't asked the entire country or world, but apparently DC's Finest has and can answer for them all...
I haven't asked anyone. I'm just going on my own opinion.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
He's the third most famous economist of all time. I was going with the prestigious argument. If you just want recognition, the University of Miami is more famous than Georgetown.

How do you know?

Old 02-05-2013, 12:19 PM

13,674 posts, read 15,574,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post

Athletics are more popular than academics so if you are saying famous meaning more people have heard of the university; you can't be serious thinking more people in the world have heard of the University of Chicago than the Georgetown Hoyas? I'm not arguing whether one is ranked higher than the other, just which school is known by more people in the world. Also, having a highly ranked university located in a metro area has nothing to do with the sophistication of its residents. Once again, the D.C. metro area runs circle's around Chicago in education and earning power. It's really not even close. Chicago would be considered rough around the edges compared to the Washington D.C. metro area which boasts the wealthiest and most educated populace in the country.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:20 PM

2,556 posts, read 3,593,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
So calling me names will some how devalue my post? Instead, why don't you give me some key examples of Chicago's cultural scene. I think the city excels at a lot of things better than DC but I strongly feel that DC is a step behind NYC when it comes to things to do and see.
I guess I appreciate your passion for DC (sorry about calling you a homer; I do note that you are one of the most passionate posters on C-D and for the most part, should be commended), but it does not seem like you are willing to accept others comments. Do you really want me to list all of Chicago's cultural venues? I can do it if you'd like, everything from the CSO to the Lyric to FLW to Shedd to restaurant ranking and so and so on. But based on your response MO, it would be an exercise in futility. All most of us are saying is that Chicago has broader cultural amenities (of all classes) than DC. Frankly, it's really tough to argue this considering the size and scope of Chicago. DC has great stuff too but not on the same level.

I won't even touch the Georgetown / U of C thing.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:26 PM

20,499 posts, read 33,299,328 times
DC's Finest actually has a point. I was guilty of thinking DC had better schools because I knew of their universities more than I knew of Chicago's and it's mostly because of sports. GT is far more popular with the common people around the country than UC. It wasn't until I did the research to find out how great UC actually was. UC is a much better academic school than any school in DC. In educated circles, UC is more prestigious as well. Not a slight to GT or other DC schools. But UChicago is a better school. Northwestern probably is too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City