Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: D.C. vs. Chicago
D.C. 153 41.35%
Chicago 217 58.65%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 06:12 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,286,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
This is why I believe that Chicago has more potential in the next 50-100 years than any East Coast city including New York. Driving around the Southside, all I saw was redevelopment opportunities galore. The city has prime real estate that is a potential goldmine so to speak. Plus the lakefront setting is a plus. I can't understand how that land along the lake running south past Soldier Field all the way down to the Indiana border isn't developed and filled to capacity with condo's, retail, houses, etc..... When some of these developers get over their fear of the Southside, they are going to make a killing. Plus, once the lakefront is developed,more building will spread west. Chicago missing out on the Olympics was major because it would have been a catalyst for people moving back in the city.
DC's been having a development boom far more intense than any city in the US that I can think of, including Chicago. If I'm not mistaken, DC has one of the lowest vacancy rates in the US while Chicago is actually pretty high. Sure Chicago has the potential but it's simply stagnant economically and demographically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 07:32 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,528,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawfiqmp View Post
I look at some of the posters in here from both sides.... one stands out.

Mahatma X

Stupidity and arrogance at its finest. Keep hating, the poll speaks for itself.
Lol whatever **** Im an Aquarius so its my job to be cocky. And eff a poll this is the internet and most posters on here are virgins lol including you. Chicago is in the midwest and needs to stay in its place B.

Im 23 laying next to my wife in bed while you are probably trimming bonzai trees lol

Old 02-08-2013, 08:14 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,294,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
Lol whatever **** Im an Aquarius so its my job to be cocky. And eff a poll this is the internet and most posters on here are virgins lol including you. Chicago is in the midwest and needs to stay in its place B.

Im 23 laying next to my wife in bed while you are probably trimming bonzai trees lol
You are 23 and already married? Holy Lord... No wonder they say DC is the South.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:24 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,987,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
DC has much better seafood than Chicago!
True.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:35 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
I am born and raised in Chicago, and have lived in DC for 4 years (I literally just moved back to Chicago 2 weeks ago), here is my assessment of both cities:

Washington, DC:
Definitely more white collar
The suburbs inside the Beltway are on average some of the best suburbs in the country
the urban footprint in DC is significantly smaller than that of Chicago
I find DC to be under retailed (lack of shopping in the city, lack of local bars/restaurants)
Metro Rail is one of the nicest systems in the country, I just hate the DEEP stations
The Restaurant scene is significantly behind Chicago
I personally did not like/appreciate the local culture, I found the city to be a bit sterile
DC has some of the best residential architecture in the Country (the nicest row homes in my opinion)
I find the downtown architecture to be boring and redundant
Overall DC feels significantly smaller than Chicago, though DC definitely punches above its weight population wise.

Chicago:
While Chicago probably has a similar White Collar population to DC, the soul of Chicago is a more Blue Collar
While Chicago has great suburbs, they do not function the way DC suburbs do, as DC's nicest suburbs tend to border DC, Chicago's nicest suburbs tend to be further out
Chicago's urban footprint feels much larger than DC's - When people say parts of the South Side feel Suburban, they are talking about areas that are as far removed from Downtown as Rockville to Downtown DC.
I enjoy riding the EL in Chicago to an underground system, but the DC Metro is def nicer.
Chicago has bars/restaurants/shopping pretty much on every main street - this was one of the biggest things I missed living in DC
Chicago has a very strong local culture/city pride
Chicago has more residential variety than DC, the outskirts of the city have many single family homes (25x125 lots) and bungalows, similar to how much of upper NW DC is single family homes
Personally, Chicago just "feels" like a big vibrant city in a way I didn't feel in DC (only NYC feels more vibrant overall to me)
I am not much of a club person, but as for lounges and bars, I can't see how anyone could say DC is better in those areas. There is nothing in DC to me that compares to River North with all the roof top lounges, etc.

DC is a great city and I enjoyed my 4 years there, but Chicago is just on another level to me.

As for all this stupidity on the south side, I would compare it to Baltimore. There are large areas of the South Side that are healthy and vibrant (Pilsen, South Loop, Hyde Park, Kenmore, Chinatown, etc) there are areas that are completely suburban (Morgan park, Beverly, etc) and there are completely destroyed neighborhoods (Englewood, Roseland, etc); I do however, think people underestimate how dense and vibrant many southside neighborhoods are, in fact, the density of the south side is higher than Baltimore and similar to DC, on average.
This is somewhat accurate. I think DC has much more of an international presence. Standing on the National Mall is majestic.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:38 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
DC's been having a development boom far more intense than any city in the US that I can think of, including Chicago. If I'm not mistaken, DC has one of the lowest vacancy rates in the US while Chicago is actually pretty high. Sure Chicago has the potential but it's simply stagnant economically and demographically.
DC is growing by leaps and bounds because it was late to the party. The city is drastically changing for the better.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:52 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,899,460 times
To the OP original question
What city (or district) is more fun to live? Better/Prefer to live? What has better public transportation?

It is subjective and which city is better in each category is in the eye of the beholder. It comes down to what each individual likes. I must admit this debate has been very entertaining lol.

I voted for Chicago my hometown but could be happy living in DC as well. My wife is from DC and I go twice a year for a week at a time. Some poster says that DC is the south culturally, I disagree. I lived in Atlanta for 10 years and went to Alabama State so I know a little about the Deep South. I personally think that DC is closer culturally to the east coast than it is to Birmingham or Memphis. I didn't see brothers in DC with gold teeth riding around in cars that situp to high on rims that are too big. No fish and grits either. Geographically it may be the south but people in the Deep South don't identify with DC being the south. DC has a proper accent compared to any place in the Deep South.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:34 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,503,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahatma x View Post
lol whatever **** im an aquarius so its my job to be cocky. And eff a poll this is the internet and most posters on here are virgins lol including you. Chicago is in the midwest and needs to stay in its place b.

Winner.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:56 AM

2,496 posts, read 3,369,129 times
ummm no, loser.....

Old 02-09-2013, 07:42 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,503,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
ummm no, loser.....
Relax. There's no need to take him seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City