Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: D.C. vs. Chicago
D.C. 153 41.35%
Chicago 217 58.65%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 10:17 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
You made a few subtle hints that DC was less of a northeast city and southern/mid atlantic whatever that means. In fact, DC is an anchor on the Northeast corridor. The city's lifestyle and attitude is east coast all day long. I gave you a few characteristics of why it is more fast paced than Chicago. Jaywalking is an east coast characteristic. People in the Midwest and West coast don't jaywalk by the masses like you see on the east coast. It's the norm in places like Philly and NYC. You may see a few people jaywalk in Utah but it's not a part of the culture. If you go into the Chicago forum, people were complaining about street food. "Where do they wash their hands or use the bathroom?" LOL. On the east coast, street food is the norm. LA is a huge city and has subways like east coast cities but the culture is different. They had an honor system in place where there were no fare gates. They gave riders the benefit of doubt that they purchased a ticket to ride. Sometimes police would stop and ask to see your ticket. This is unthinkable on the east coast. These are the differences that I keep harping on.
I think the issue is you're making the culture items on the east coast come off as better or that they make more sense than elsewhere. Someone in the Chicago forum asked if street food people ever wash their hands or where they use the bathroom. How is that "LOL" worthy? Are people on the east coast laughed at by all their peers if they are curious if the person handling all their food ever washes their hands or where they use the bathroom? In most of the world that wouldn't be a hilarious question.

Chicago didn't have street vendors after the early 1990's because of a city law that went into effect. They're now starting to come back out. That doesn't mean it's the culture of the entire area. I grew up in Iowa City and we had street food vendors lined up on a few streets every day of the week. They're more popular in NYC or Philly because of the extreme density of both residents and office workers. They make economic sense to be there. It's more a specific case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 06:39 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,982,352 times
Quote:
You made a few subtle hints that DC was less of a northeast city and southern/mid atlantic whatever that means. In fact, DC is an anchor on the Northeast corridor. The city's lifestyle and attitude is east coast all day long. I gave you a few characteristics of why it is more fast paced than Chicago. Jaywalking is an east coast characteristic. People in the Midwest and West coast don't jaywalk by the masses like you see on the east coast. It's the norm in places like Philly and NYC. You may see a few people jaywalk in Utah but it's not a part of the culture. If you go into the Chicago forum, people were complaining about street food. "Where do they wash their hands or use the bathroom?" LOL. On the east coast, street food is the norm. LA is a huge city and has subways like east coast cities but the culture is different. They had an honor system in place where there were no fare gates. They gave riders the benefit of doubt that they purchased a ticket to ride. Sometimes police would stop and ask to see your ticket. This is unthinkable on the east coast. These are the differences that I keep harping on.
The perception from an outsider like myself is DC is more connected as a Northeast corridor city than Southern. Some people need to put down the history books and realize regions change over periods of time.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:00 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,316,030 times
Quote:
I see people jaywalk in Chicago all the time, everyday. I for one am guilty of it. You don't see that much in downtown, well because it's an easy way to get killed since streets in downtown are so wide and have 2-4 lanes going in the same direction. Outside of downtown? People jaywalk everywhere.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:45 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Jaywalking is a dense urban city characteristic. The east coast has several of them, but it doesn't make jaywalking an east coast phenomenon. If you have never seen someone jaywalk in Chicago, then it's questionable if you've ever been there.

Also, there are substantial differences among east coast cities and i'm not sure I'd agree so much with dc being that much more similar to nyc than chicago is.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:59 AM

517 posts, read 677,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Also, there are substantial differences among east coast cities and i'm not sure I'd agree so much with dc being that much more similar to nyc than chicago is.
DC is definitely much more similar to NYC than Chicago is to NYC. That's pretty obvious just based on their phyiscal proximity. Cities within region tend to be more similar (so obviously Chicago is more similar to Milwaukee, DC more similar to Baltimore, and NYC more similar to Philly, to take blatant examples).

Old 07-18-2013, 08:04 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Jaywalking is a dense urban city characteristic. The east coast has several of them, but it doesn't make jaywalking an east coast phenomenon. If you have never seen someone jaywalk in Chicago, then it's questionable if you've ever been there.

Chicago and DC are not similar to NYC in pace. But DC is an east coast city. I've seen people jaywalk in LA to obut it's not a part of the overall culture. Prime example, people in my old neighborhood in Brooklyn rarely went to the grocery store. They just went to the corner bodega for almost everything. Most people on the east coast that eat street food, don't ask any questions. LOL. You just eat it. That culture only exist in a few cities. If I tell you that this chick had on some 54.11's you would not have any idea what I am talking about. But in NYC, Philly, Bmore and DC, most of the locals would understand what I am saying. The lifestyle of the east coast is very different from the MW. I am not saying it's better. It's just different. Most of the people that venture to Chicago are from a neighboring MW state. Most of the people that venture to DC are from all over the US.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:22 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH_CDM View Post
DC is definitely much more similar to NYC than Chicago is to NYC. That's pretty obvious just based on their phyiscal proximity. Cities within region tend to be more similar (so obviously Chicago is more similar to Milwaukee, DC more similar to Baltimore, and NYC more similar to Philly, to take blatant examples).
The boswash corridor is pretty long and DC is on the southern tip of it and different parts of DC and Chicago are reminiscent of different parts of NYC. DC and Chicago do share the attribute of having a lot of transplants.

Quote:
Chicago and DC are not similar to NYC in pace. But DC is an east coast city. I've seen people jaywalk in LA to obut it's not a part of the overall culture. Prime example, people in my old neighborhood in Brooklyn rarely went to the grocery store. They just went to the corner bodega for almost everything. Most people on the east coast that eat street food, don't ask any questions. LOL. You just eat it. That culture only exist in a few cities. If I tell you that this chick had on some 54.11's you would not have any idea what I am talking about. But in NYC, Philly, Bmore and DC, most of the locals would understand what I am saying. The lifestyle of the east coast is very different from the MW. I am not saying it's better. It's just different. Most of the people that venture to Chicago are from a neighboring MW state. Most of the people that venture to DC are from all over the US.
LA is a different beast, so I'll leave that out for now. Corner stores are a pretty significant presence in Chicag (like jaywalking, that's much more a feature of large urban cities than it is of a specific region). Street food carts were a fixture in Chicago but were banned a long while back. Each city has its idiosyncrasies--such as DC's height restrictions. The regionalism counts for something, but the particulars sometimes even more so.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:15 AM

787 posts, read 1,695,386 times
Quote:
The modern food truck is more of a West Coast invention. + Chicago's banning of food trucks was a relatively recent and regulatory phenomenon. Street food created/popularized much of the common "Chicago" foods.

And being real, even though Chicago is nothing like an East coast city, it has FAR more of an indigeneous street food culture than D.C. Most of the popular "Chicago" food IS street food -- hot dogs, Italian beef, gyros (popularized in Chicago first).

What are the D.C. street foods???

Old 07-18-2013, 09:56 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
The modern food truck is more of a West Coast invention. + Chicago's banning of food trucks was a relatively recent and regulatory phenomenon. Street food created/popularized much of the common "Chicago" foods.

And being real, even though Chicago is nothing like an East coast city, it has FAR more of an indigeneous street food culture than D.C. Most of the popular "Chicago" food IS street food -- hot dogs, Italian beef, gyros (popularized in Chicago first).

What are the D.C. street foods???
Half smokes, chicken and mambo, jumbo slice

Old 07-18-2013, 10:04 AM

787 posts, read 1,695,386 times
Quote:
Half smokes, chicken and mambo, jumbo slice
Fair enough. Mambo sauce is that work lol.

Heard of half smoke, but I don't really mess with the pork -- while these foods are known in the D.C. area, Chicago's are much more known and readily available for outsiders. And I fail to see food trucks as an East Coast thing. Every college town has them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City