Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: D.C. vs. Chicago
D.C. 153 41.35%
Chicago 217 58.65%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 02:37 PM

886 posts, read 1,562,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Where have you been?
Busy with work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 02:38 PM

517 posts, read 677,781 times
Quote:
If I am a plumber in Nashville, how would I know about the U of C? No one can seem to answer my question. The U of C is a great school. That's not the question. However, it does not have the same name recognition as a Harvard, MIT, Yale, Cornell, etc.
I would agree with this. U of C is not nearly as well known as the eight Ivy League schools, or MIT, or Stanford. But U of C is generally more highly regarded than Georgetown, especially among people who are educated.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:40 PM

517 posts, read 677,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
I really enjoy and like D.C., and as a black person, agree that it does have amazing opportunited for African Americans. However, D.C. is nowhere near as urban as Chicago. Not by a long shot.
This is most definitely false. One can argue Chicago is slightly more urban than DC, but that's about it. They have somewhat similar density numbers, and DC is actually more transit oriented, and with less abandoned or industrial/underutilized areas. But Chicago has a bigger urban core.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:42 PM

787 posts, read 1,695,386 times
Quote:
So, do you believe that the Southside of Chicago is urban? Because it more suburban than any east coast city. DC has suburban areas as well but not over a huge area like the southside. DC does not have strip malls running for miles and miles or big box stores with parking lots all over the place. Walmart tried to come to DC and it didn't workout. Chicago is very urban. I have been there plenty of times and the Loop is super urban. The northside is urban but it's no different from neighborhoods like Dupont Circle, U street and Logan Circle in DC just to name a few. DC also has the rowhouse factor that Chicago doesn't have. The West side and the Southside of Chicago are very suburban. Pound for pound, DC is just as urban as Chicago in places but not as urban as the Loop and parts of the Lakefront. But DC, doesn't have the huge suburban areas that Chicago has either. Chicago has a ton of surface parking lots too.

You always repeat the same argument and it's tired. Rowhouses don't make a place urban, or imply a superior urbanity to anywhere that doesn't have them.

The South Side is not this suburban paradise (lol) that you envision. Where are these strip malls running for miles and miles? There are gas stations and strip malls on many intersections in Philly, D.C., and other East Coast cities. Strip malls are in every one of our urban cities in America, even if as a function of age and density there aren't as many as say, NYC.

How are neighborhoods like Englewood, Hyde Park, Greater Grand Crossing, South Shore, Auburn Gresham, and Marquette Park suburban? The only really suburban areas of Chicago are on the far fringes of the city.

Also, if you knew Chicago, you'd know that the West Side is extremely urban (if sometimes desolate in certain areas a la North Philly).

Old 07-23-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH_CDM View Post
This is most definitely false. One can argue Chicago is slightly more urban than DC, but that's about it. They have somewhat similar density numbers, and DC is actually more transit oriented, and with less abandoned or industrial/underutilized areas. But Chicago has a bigger urban core.

Chicago stays at that density for far longer than D.C. does, over an extensive area that's five times as large, even with more abandoned and industrial areas. That's why I would say that Chicago is more urban.

Is Providence as urban as D.C. if it has similar density, but a much smaller area and population?

Old 07-23-2013, 02:49 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Oh, and one more thing:

District of Columbia QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

The median household income is $61k with an average home price of $443k. That doesn't add up. The poverty rate is 18% which is similar to Chicago's.

Slim, DC's per capita income is higher than Chicago. DC's disposable income after taxes is also higher. DC is way more expensive than Chicago. Class A office space in DC rivals Manhattan. DC is right behind NYC, SF and Boston boasting the most expensive rents in the US. DC is one of the most sought after places in the US for foreign investors, hence the high a$$ real estate.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR View Post
Busy with work.

Cool!

Old 07-23-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH_CDM View Post
I would agree with this. U of C is not nearly as well known as the eight Ivy League schools, or MIT, or Stanford. But U of C is generally more highly regarded than Georgetown, especially among people who are educated.
I agree 100%! That was never my argument. I just said that the average Joe doesn't know anything about the U of C where as most people know about Gtown because of non academic factors.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
You always repeat the same argument and it's tired. Rowhouses don't make a place urban, or imply a superior urbanity to anywhere that doesn't have them.

The South Side is not this suburban paradise (lol) that you envision. Where are these strip malls running for miles and miles? There are gas stations and strip malls on many intersections in Philly, D.C., and other East Coast cities. Strip malls are in every one of our urban cities in America, even if as a function of age and density there aren't as many as say, NYC.

How are neighborhoods like Englewood, Hyde Park, Greater Grand Crossing, South Shore, Auburn Gresham, and Marquette Park suburban? The only really suburban areas of Chicago are on the far fringes of the city.

Also, if you knew Chicago, you'd know that the West Side is extremely urban (if sometimes desolate in certain areas a la North Philly).

Huh? DC doesn't have strip malls like Chicago. Western ave on the southside is not the far fringes. Cicero yes. Racine is not the far fringes. I know Chicago very well and it gets suburban very quickly. Big box stores and surface parking lots are all over the place on the southside. I can count the nymber of strip malls in DC proper on my hand because the city doesn't really have them. As for the rowhouse comment, let's not get into that one. Of course you feel that your single family bungalow out by Midway is more urban than a rowhouse in Dupont Circle or Georgetown.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Huh? DC doesn't have strip malls like Chicago. Western ave on the southside is not the far fringes. Cicero yes. Racine is not the far fringes. I know Chicago very well and it gets suburban very quickly. Big box stores and surface parking lots are all over the place on the southside. I can count the nymber of strip malls in DC proper on my hand because the city doesn't really have them. As for the rowhouse comment, let's not get into that one. Of course you feel that your single family bungalow out by Midway is more urban than a rowhouse in Dupont Circle or Georgetown.
S Cicero...you mean how most of it borders the burbs? LOL.

I think people told you that you were in Chicago, but you were somewhere else in Cook County.

And for the bolded...really? That's not an equivalent comparison even when comparing neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City