Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: D.C. vs. Chicago
D.C. 153 41.35%
Chicago 217 58.65%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 02:15 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,739,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
Negative.

Pearl's Place, MacArthur's...heck, even Soul Vegetarian. I won't say it tastes so good you'd slap ya mama, but...
I don't think so. And I bet Everlasting Cafe is better than Soul Vegetarian. Obama can vouch for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 02:22 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
San Francisco: 17,604 people per square mile

D.C.: 10,298 people per square mile
Well, great then, I guess population density can also explain why Chicago's eateries are so much better than DC's. If you circumscribe an area of Chicago as large as DC and skewed it towards the denser, northern parts of Chicago, then you can see Chicago being a hell of a lot better.

Quote:
I strongly doubt that is the reason when compared to D.C. For instance, people are asking about established restaurants in D.C. Well, considering there weren't basically any restaurants in D.C. till about 10 years ago, I'm trying to figure out what people are asking? Who would those restaurants have as customers? D.C. was close to 80% black about 30 years ago. Most were poor and the restaurants that we did have catered to black people. I have mentioned a few of them already.

Doesn't a city have to actually have Italian, Irish, Polish, Japanese, Chinese, or Middle Eastern people to have those restaurants? Who was going to run them in Chocolate City? We are comparing apples and oranges.
Exactly, and that's what makes dining in DC so blegh. We are comparing a wonderfully prepared duck confit to a powerbar.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:30 PM

787 posts, read 1,695,502 times
Quote:
I don't think so. And I bet Everlasting Cafe is better than Soul Vegetarian. Obama can vouch for that.
Doubtful. The same Obama who was a MacArthur's regular? He knows what's up soul food-wise! D.C. is a little better than its East Coast bredrin, but Soul Food and Chicken shacks are lacking out that way...well this way. I live on the East Coast lol.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:37 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,498,822 times
I'm not sure Obama should be the best choice in evaluating the food of both cities. He picked Byron's to cater a white house dinner. I can think of many places that do a better Chi Hot Dog...

Byron's Hot Dogs owner guest chefs at Obama White House: Serves Chicago-style hot dogs - Lynn Sweet

Old 08-01-2013, 03:16 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,739,400 times
Quote:
Doubtful. The same Obama who was a MacArthur's regular? He knows what's up soul food-wise! D.C. is a little better than its East Coast bredrin, but Soul Food and Chicken shacks are lacking out that way...well this way. I live on the East Coast lol.
No offense, but I don't ever hear black people prop up anything in the Midwest or West coast when it comes to soul food. Black people live on this side of the country.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
No offense, but I don't ever hear black people prop up anything in the Midwest or West coast when it comes to soul food. Black people live on this side of the country.
No offense, but there are more black people in the Midwest than the Northeast. The best Soul Good is of course, in the South.

And a lot more people go to Chicago and seek out Harold's w/mild sauce (or do the blues and BBQ thing) than go to D.C and seek out chicken w/mambo sauce. Let's keep it real. D.C. is not reknowned for any kind of soul food.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:27 PM

^^Or is this one of those times when D.C. People start claiming the South?

Old 08-01-2013, 03:40 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,675,454 times
Quote:
No offense, but there are more black people in the Midwest than the Northeast. The best Soul Good is of course, in the South.

And a lot more people go to Chicago and seek out Harold's w/mild sauce (or do the blues and BBQ thing) than go to D.C and seek out chicken w/mambo sauce. Let's keep it real. D.C. is not reknowned for any kind of soul food.
And a lot more people go to Chicago and seek out Harold's w/mild sauce (or do the blues and BBQ thing) than go to D.C and seek out chicken w/mambo sauce. Let's keep it real. D.C. is not reknowned for any kind of food.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
And a lot more people go to Chicago and seek out Harold's w/mild sauce (or do the blues and BBQ thing) than go to D.C and seek out chicken w/mambo sauce. Let's keep it real. D.C. is not reknowned for any kind of food.
Don't hurt 'em too much now.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:53 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,675,454 times
Quote:
Don't hurt 'em too much now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City