U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Fairfax County VA vs. Harris County TX
Fairfax County VA 40 61.54%
Harris County TX 25 38.46%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-10-2010, 01:19 PM

94 posts, read 211,873 times

Advertisements

I'm fine living in either counties. I'm from Harris County and been living in Fairfax County the past two years. If I were to pick between the two, most likely Harris County because of family. I'm not going to compare them because it's been covered and not going to repeat what others have said. I think both counties are similar in that you either love it or hate it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 01:19 PM

3,166 posts, read 4,281,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
As someone who lives in Reston, which will be getting 3 stations (well, technically 2 with one straddling our border with Herndon), I am very excited about the Silver Line's arrival, as I'll be able to live here and commute eastward to my office nearer to the city. It's also fun to watch the "closet racists" in NoVA rear their ugly heads as those who oppose the rail line's arrival are all ranting and raving about "the element" from the city coming here (i.e. politically-correct code word for minorities).

The only thing I could have personally done differently when moving here to improve my financial situation was to get roommates, but with knowing very few others in the area (and with those already having roomies) I didn't feel comfortable moving to a new city while shacking up with virtual strangers from CraigsList; the risk was too high for me of rooming in a bad situation.

I think the Silver Line will have a major impact upon the population growth and housing prices in Reston and Herndon.
You'd be wrong. That is not what happened when the subway went to Vienna because Vienna, like Reston and Herndon was already built up. It's a boon to the exburbs. House prices in Falls Church and Vienna didn't go up because of the subway. It's proximity to the city, and good schools, that determines house prices. That's why McLean and Great Falls are more expensive than Vienna even though they have no subway. Reston has too much subsidized housing (and more coming), and schools on the bottom, for house prices to climb. The subway won't change that.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:25 PM

>>>When I moved to Reston I believed the bull about it being a walkable and "progressive" community. I took the bait hook, line, and sinker and only now realize how untrue it really was. I moved here because I didn't want what I presumed would be a hellish commute from DC to Herndon, and it wasn't until after I had already settled here that I was relocated closer to the District for work. Now I get the worst of both worlds---live in sterile suburbia and work in sterile suburbia---when if I had known this beforehand at least I would have been able to live somewhere that doesn't feel like Candyland.<<<

You know it NOW!!! And yet you CHOSE to remain in Reston for another year! Your lease was up, you could have moved anywhere in the DC area! Surely you can understand why others might be less than sympathetic to your plight!

Old 05-10-2010, 01:27 PM

330 posts, read 478,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Seems to me that you haven't been to Houston. Most people outside of this area say that...until they actually visit the place. Houston has a pretty diverse landscape. DC actually doesn't have a diverse landscape. It all looks the same (rolling hills, trees, and the Potomac).
An hour and a half from DC you will find mountains: photos that I have taken attached. Nothing like that near Houston. But I know we're talking about city proper landscaping.
Attached Thumbnails
Fairfax County VA vs. Harris County TX-skylinedrivephoto1.jpg   Fairfax County VA vs. Harris County TX-skylinedrivephoto2.jpg  

Last edited by EastBay-NowDCarea; 05-10-2010 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: Forgot to include another picture

Old 05-10-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateCity2001 View Post
Once again, if you hate it here so much, why not go back to where you came from? It's a legitimate question to ask since you seem to dislike this area so much. And really, what would you expect if you continually slam an area on a message board occupied by members of the area you are slamming? Do you really expect the board members to take what you say lightly? If you are so educated, then this really shouldn't be so surprising and unexpected. YOU made the choice of living in Reston, and YOU made the choice of living in an area that isn't surrounded with public transportation options like Arlington, DC, or Bethesda. These are areas that you have expressed desire in moving to for the past year, so why don't you just move there? I'm sure that you could find a roomate to split the cost if the apartments there are out of you price range.
Gee, yet another post with great advice! We would all like a answer to that question. Why would anyone chose to sign another lease in an area that they hate? Why would anyone lock themselves into spending another year in a place they despise? Makes NO sense at all.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
First, let's chill with the martyrdom, shall we? You're not the only one who's had an infraction (Lord knows I've had a few), and you won't be the last.

Anyhow, Fairfax and most of Northern VA is the epitome of suburbia in the DC area. I don't even live in DC and I knew that. If this was 20 years ago, I'd be inclined to be a bit more understanding, but in this day and age of Google, Bing, satellite maps, Streetview, even asking a few questions on this site, contacting local realtors, etc., I'm thinking people should have a better general idea of what they're getting into. Are these methods perfect? No, but they can help.

We can pontificate endlessly about cookie-cutter development and cul-de-sacs all we want to on here, but it's all for nothing. It's a lifestyle that people are accustomed to and seem to want and demand. Whether if it's "right" or "wrong" is of little importance to me. It's no secret that Northern VA has the lion's share of the DC area's growth, so there must be factors that make it desireable to the people willing to move there and pay a lot of money to do so. It's not for everyone (it certainly wouldn't be my first choice if I were to move to DC) so maybe it's best to count the days until your lease is up, so you can move to a more desirable location that would be a better fit your personality and lifestyle.

If you think the sprawl is bad in NOVA, come on down here to parts of metro Atlanta or Florida or Texas, and you'd probably have a massive coronary.

Now, I'm going to try and sleep while I "enjoy" one of the "benefits" of high-density living - my upstairs neighbors seem to want to figure out just how squeaky their mattress can get as they make a beast with two backs. So I must turn up my headphones and bid farewell.
Sadly, his lease was up and he signed yet another lease in an even less desirable part of Reston.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:39 PM

No one has mentioned the weather in Houston. The summers last longer,much longer, are much hotter, and MUCH more humid. Just miserable. The hordes of mosquitoes are large enough to carry off small pets and children. If you go outside during Houston's 8 or 9 months of summer, you will be devoured by mosquitoes.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:48 PM

8,968 posts, read 8,686,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
The only thing I find diverse regarding Houston's landscape is that there are the pine forest on the North side, coastal plains on the south side, broken up by water (bayous, lakes, the bay, and the gulf). However, It's no San Francisco or San Diego by any means, so lets not delude ourselves here.

DC is where the Piedmont and Coastal Plain meet, and some of the metro area extends into the foothills of the Appalachians to the Chesapeake Bay. I personally find the area more naturally attractive than Houston. To me, it's a wash between the two as to which has a more diverse landscape. Both are not THAT diverse in landscape to me, but they're not as generic as people seem to think.
Well, Houston is where the piney woods and coastal plain of Texas meet. It's also at the geographical start of the Texas Hill Country.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:53 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,758,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Well, Houston is where the piney woods and coastal plain of Texas meet. It's also at the geographical start of the Texas Hill Country.

Really? Tell me something I didn't know. I did indicate that in my post about the regions of Houston after all.

Also, you seem to have a really broad definition of what is Hill Country. This is the first I've heard of Houston being anywhere near there. The Hill Country consists of limestone/karst hills and generally lies on the Edwards Plateau. Which is nowhere near Houston

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/c...ps/TXeco3.html

http://botany.csdl.tamu.edu/FLORA/ta.../regecoNF.html

Last edited by grindin; 05-10-2010 at 02:01 PM..

Old 05-10-2010, 01:56 PM

8,968 posts, read 8,686,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
No one has mentioned the weather in Houston. The summers last longer,much longer, are much hotter, and MUCH more humid. Just miserable. The hordes of mosquitoes are large enough to carry off small pets and children. If you go outside during Houston's 8 or 9 months of summer, you will be devoured by mosquitoes.
This definitely isn't true. DC summers are shorter than Houston's but DC is also pretty humid. And we don't have hordes of mosquitoes down here. Houston's summers are from May until mid to October. It's really nice here the rest of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBay-NowDCarea View Post
An hour and a half from DC you will find mountains: photos that I have taken attached. Nothing like that near Houston. But I know we're talking about city proper landscaping.
You sure? About two hours away from the Houston metro, you are deep in the Texas Hill Country:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City