Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Fairfax County VA vs. Harris County TX
Fairfax County VA 41 61.19%
Harris County TX 26 38.81%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 02:38 PM

659 posts, read 1,369,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Fairfax County all the way. Tysons Corner has more office space than DT Houston. That should tell you something.
Uh, that's just wrong. DTH has around 41mm ft2 and Tyson's around 26mm ft2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 02:42 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,222,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
No, you showed a map that shows parts of Houston's metro under the same formation as the areas around San Antonio/Austin.

I'll tell you how my sleep tonight goes.

Huh? I didn't say NW Harris County. I said the NW side of Houston's metro, which is Waller County. Waller County is hilly.
Yeah, okay. You seem to have a very selective and unusual interpretation of things and how to read a map. It's an ecoregion map, nothing more, nothing less. It shows the vast majority of Harris County lying in the Gulf Coastal Plain. It's Waller County lies in the Post-Oak/Savannah/Prairies region, I might add very little of it. And you call those hills? LOL. It's still not the Hill Country, no matter how hard you try to argue this.

The Hill Country lies mostly in the Edwards Plateau, not the Blackland Prairie region. So I still say that to say that the grasslands are the beginning of what is considered to be Hill Country is a downright ridiculous argument. The Hill Country is to the west of Austin and to the North of SA.

Anyhow, this is getting silly and we're going nowhere fast, and you're just arguing for the sake of arguing as usual, so how about we just move the hell on? This is getting ridiculous and pointless, as it usually does when it comes to posts about Houston vs other cities.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:44 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,865,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Yeah, okay. You seem to have a very selective and unusual interpretation of things and how to read a map. It's an ecoregion map, nothing more, nothing less. It shows the vast majority of Harris County lying in the Gulf Coastal Plain. It's Waller County lies in the Post-Oak/Savannah/Prairies region. And you call those hills? LOL. It's still not the Hill Country, no matter how hard you try to argue this.

The Hill Country lies mostly in the Edwards Plateau, not the Blackland Prairie region. So I still say that to say that the grasslands are the beginning of what is considered to be Hill Country is a downright ridiculous argument. The Hill Country is to the west of Austin and to the North of SA.

Anyhow, this is getting silly and we're going nowhere fast, and you're just arguing for the sake of arguing as usual, so how about we just move the hell on? This is getting ridiculous and pointless, as it usually does when it comes to posts about Houston vs other cities.
I hinted it was pointless when I repped you a few posts back. From the map you posted, Waller County is in more than that. And I didn't say Houston was in the hill country. Just the geographical start of it (which the part of the metro that is in Blackland Prairie is). You keep saying most of the Hill County is in the Edwards Plateau, but not all of it is. So, you can stop with that. You say I have selective interpretation?

I'm done. On with Fairfax County vs. Harris County.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
I hinted it was pointless when I repped you a few posts back. From the map you posted, Waller County is in more than that. And I didn't say Houston was in the hill country. Just the geographical start of it. You keep saying most of the Hill County is in the Edwards Plateau, but not all of it is. So, you can stop with that. You say I have selective interpretation?

I'm done. On with Fairfax County vs. Harris County.
Oh, "I can stop with that" Talk to the geologists that classify it, not me. I don't make the news, I just report it.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:48 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,037,981 times
Why is everyone tripping on the Houston area offering a diverse landscape?? It's not that serious.

Also you have some pretty nice size rolling hills in the northern parts of the Houston area.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:50 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,865,768 times
Quote:
Oh, "I can stop with that" Talk to the geologists that classify it, not me. I don't make the news, I just report it.
You're a bad reporter then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Why is everyone tripping on the Houston area offering a diverse landscape?? It's not that serious.

Also you have some pretty nice size rolling hills in the northern parts of the Houston area.
It really isn't, and our posts will probably be deleted soon, but people like to make big deals out of things.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:

No one is "tripping" about anything. Unlike the people who usually detract Houston, I did acknowledge that it straddles the Piney Woods/Coastal Plain, and it lies on the coast. But in the scheme of things, it's not the most geographically diverse place in the country. Neither is DC. That was my point all along.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:59 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,037,981 times
Quote:
No one is "tripping" about anything. Unlike the people who usually detract Houston, I did acknowledge that it straddles the Piney Woods/Coastal Plain, and it lies on the coast. But in the scheme of things, it's not the most geographically diverse place in the country. Neither is DC.
Whoever said it was??? However, it is moreso than DC.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:02 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,196,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
Fairfax County now has well over one million people and will soon be twice the size of the District. In essence, Fairfax County is shifting to become the dominant economic powerhouse in the metropolitan area---not DC. Why, then, settle for a lifestyle of cul-de-sacs, chain restaurants, and soccer moms when we can strive to be a place one would be proud to call home? The purpose of this thread was to compare FAIRFAX COUNTY to Houston---not DC to Houston---which is why I've been griping about Fairfax County. I actually LOVE the District. I just think Fairfax County is the worst slop of post-WW II suburban whale vomit one could imagine.

"Stop complaining your suburb is suburban?" If only it were that easy, but it doesn't sit well with me to settle for paying 60% of my income to live in such sterile mediocrity amidst people who have no clue about proper long-range urban planning. We should be shifting AWAY from catering to the automobile---not rushing to embrace it (as Fairfax County continues to do). If you think traffic in the area is terrible now, then just wait until hundreds of thousands MORE commuters are clogging our roadways trying to get to employment centers in or near the District from the growing exurban frontier.
Of course Fairfax COUNTY is bigger than a single city. It's a MUCH bigger area. Does that make it more powerful than DC? Hell no! DC is one of the most powerful cities in the country. Fairfax County is a long way from getting to that point. A LONG way.

Most of Fairfax is actually quite urban for being suburbs. You should have known you couldn't walk everywhere though. It's not the city.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:04 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,196,833 times
Quote:
Whoever said it was??? However, it is moreso than DC.
Houston is more diverse than DC?

EDIT: Sorry, I thought you meant people. As far as the land, then I don't have an opinion because I don't know Houston well enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City