U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 07:25 AM

2,525 posts, read 3,000,276 times

Advertisements

Other than NYC, Chicago, D.C., and New Orleans what cities have the best Jazz?

I know Orlando actually has a pretty good selection with two dedicated jazz radio stations another that often plays jazz, free outdoor jazz concerts all the time, and a few jazz lounges. But I'm looking at moving elsewhere.

I read Kansas City has a lot of jazz. OKC has some sort of Jazz "Lab" but it seems thats the only Jazz in the entire state.

Not going to include a poll because I wouldn't even know where to begin but figured this would be the forum to post this in so people can start battling out for jazz representation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 09:03 AM

19,341 posts, read 16,659,295 times
Philly has a few decent Jazz clubs but not on the same level as those you listed. It can be good but you have to look a little harder here

Old 05-09-2010, 05:24 PM

10,180 posts, read 5,151,841 times
I have always felt that Seattle would have a good Jazz base, but I don't know for a fact, it's just a feeling.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:32 PM

31,914 posts, read 37,877,669 times
This can give you an idea of the scene in the Syracuse area:
Welcome to the 2010 Syracuse Jazz Fest

Home - CNY Jazz (http://www.cnyjazz.org/home.aspx - broken link)

Home - Jazz In The Square

Sophistications by Mahogani Hills - Home

WAER - HOMEPAGE

Syracuse Jazz Network - Welcome to the Syracuse Jazz Network (http://syracusejazz.ning.com/ - broken link)

Syracuse also is pretty big on the blues too.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:37 PM

486 posts, read 635,742 times
I think people would be surprised by the jazz that's available in KC. It's nothing like NOLA or NYC, but pretty decent.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:16 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,468,369 times
I can't say for sure, but I think Philly and San Francisco are probably next two most prominent jazz cities after the first four mentioned. I know Houston has a pretty good jazz scene. I'm sure that has a lot to do with the cities long history with New Orleans.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:30 PM

2,799 posts, read 5,440,605 times
Salt Lake City, but only from November to April or maybe May.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:43 PM

77 posts, read 109,572 times
San Francisco has a good jazz scene. It's not on the same level as NY, New Orleans, Chicago, and DC, but it is still pretty good. I agree with what was said about Kansas City too, they have a good jazz scene as well.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:07 PM

2,784 posts, read 4,483,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Philly has a few decent Jazz clubs but not on the same level as those you listed. It can be good but you have to look a little harder here
Never been there, but I know Chris' Jazz Cafe is the place to be in Philly.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:43 AM

13,856 posts, read 14,006,020 times
I'm thinking Kansas City and San Francisco. Kansas City has a big jazz museum and I think was where Charlie Parker came from. California is notable in the history of "Dixieland Revival" and particularly "Cool Jazz." Dave Brubeck, Vince Guaraldi, Hampton Hawes, Cal Tjader, etc were Californians by birth or upbringing. (Some of those names are more Latin jazz than Cool jazz) Los Angeles had some importance in that too. It looks like LA has about four jazz clubs at present. Looking it up Boston, Detroit, and Minneapolis-St. Paul also look like they may have some notable clubs. Minneapolis-St. Paul also has some jazz festivals.

One of the most surprising places in jazz, surprising to me anyway, is Moscow, Idaho. There they have the Lionel Hampton Jazz Festival, which I've heard mentioned at jazz sites. Another surprising name in jazz might be Sitka, Alaska which also has its own jazz festival of some renown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City