Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2017, 01:42 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
or the fact people dont agree with Baltimore's southerness. I stopped arguing with KB a long time ago.
I can see traces of Baltimore's Southernness but God knows it doesn't come close to screaming "Southern" like, say, Memphis. It most certainly isn't a completely Southern place...at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 01:50 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I haven't seen DC posters pushing the use of CSAs. Nearly everyone in this thread, and in most threads, use the MSA so it was weird to see Western Urbanite say he assumed folks were using CSAs. That's not the norm around these parts, except for a few select metros like the Bay Area and Raleigh/Durham.

You have a real chip on your shoulder concerning DC. Just breathe man.
From today
"City population is useless here. Memphis is by far the smallest of the three.
Baltimore's CSA is over 9 million, Detroit's is over 5 million, Memphis is looking at 1.3 million."

Look how they pushed the the use of CSAs in this thread.
Washington DC-Baltimore CSA overtake Chicago CSA very soon?

Notice that DC posters were pushing that agenda.
My issue is DC associating itself with Baltimore. That has always been my only issue.

Old 04-06-2017, 01:55 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Why is DC or Baltimore even being talked about in this thread? Like really.

Old 04-06-2017, 01:56 PM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,218,987 times
Quote:
Usually the MSA is in view in these types of conversations; if you use CSA, it would change the entire order.

The Greenville MSA (minus Spartanburg) belongs in Tier 5, I agree with that. But the CSA (inclusive of Spartanburg) is just a bit smaller than the Triad CSA so on that basis, they would belong in the same tier.
Right, that's what I meant (without clarifying that I used MSA for Greenville.

I used CSAs earlier because there aren't many southern metros where the CSA differs substantially from the MSA, so I don't think it would mix things up too much. The Triad, Triangle, and Upstate SC are the three most prominent examples I can think of.

Old 04-06-2017, 02:00 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
From today
Baltimore's CSA is over 9 million, Detroit's is over 5 million, Memphis is looking at 1.3 million."

My issue is DC associating itself with Baltimore. That has always been my only issue.

You have DC on your mind entirely teww much duug. Take a chill pill and relax, no one thinks of this everyday like you do. Like really there's at least 7 or 8 threads I can pull of you randomly mentioning DC out the blue, and spewing hate. It's enough and about time a moderator get involved.

And the link you posted was from someone starting a thread asking about CSA populations specifically, not about boosting any other metrics. You live in your own world bro. And your internal beef with Baltimore being lumped into the greater DC region's CSA and therefore being overshadowed, has become pretty ridiculous and frowned upon by most on this site. Relax.

Old 04-06-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
From today
And look: they called it Baltimore's CSA, not DC's CSA or DC/Baltimore's CSA. I'm not sure what your complaint is about here as it's obvious there was no nefarious anti-Baltimore agenda in play there.

Quote:

Well when the subject of the discussion is CSAs, then it's appropriate to talk about CSAs. But when we talk about "cities" or "metros," typically MSA is what is primarily in view.

Methinks you're just trying to find something to be offended about.

Old 04-06-2017, 02:07 PM

182 posts, read 226,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Why is DC or Baltimore even being talked about in this thread? Like really.
Exactly...I've stayed in DC and Baltimore for awhile. They are very different from atl, hou, dallas, nashville, charlotte, etc. Dc and Baltimore have more in common with there other NE/mid-atl neighbors

Old 04-06-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT9 View Post
Right, that's what I meant (without clarifying that I used MSA for Greenville.

I used CSAs earlier because there aren't many southern metros where the CSA differs substantially from the MSA, so I don't think it would mix things up too much. The Triad, Triangle, and Upstate SC are the three most prominent examples I can think of.
There are a few others.

Chattanooga MSA: 551,632
Chattanooga CSA: 950,005

Cape Coral-Fort Myers MSA: 722,336
Cape Coral-Fort Myers CSA: 1,059,287

Knoxville MSA: 868,546
Knoxville CSA: 1,109,174
(not as drastic a difference as the others but the CSA gets Knoxville past the magic 1 million mark)

El Paso MSA: 841,971
El Paso CSA: 1,053,267
(same as Knoxville and I know El Paso is more Southwest than Southern but it's in a former Confederate state so I included it)

North Port-Sarasota-Bradenton MSA: 788,457
North Port-Sarasota-Bradenton CSA: 977,491
(with its high rate of growth, the CSA is surely already at or over 1 million today)

It's always interesting that the smaller Florida metros get left out of these discussions.

Old 04-06-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
You have DC on your mind entirely teww much duug. Take a chill pill and relax, no one thinks of this everyday like you do. Like really there's at least 7 or 8 threads I can pull of you randomly mentioning DC out the blue, and spewing hate. It's enough and about time a moderator get involved.

And the link you posted was from someone starting a thread asking about CSA populations specifically, not about boosting any other metrics. You live in your own world bro. And your internal beef with Baltimore being lumped into the greater DC region's CSA and therefore being overshadowed, has become pretty ridiculous and frowned upon by most on this site. Relax.
It's funny that you even responded since you're Jive the main culprit pushing CSAs, Champ; actually, you were the first person that I thought of. Even weirder is that I don't even mention DC until someone mentions it with Baltimore. Basically,what I'm saying is, I'll stop mentioning DC when DC stops mentioning Baltimore... on muvas, slim. Stamp.

Old 04-06-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
And look: they called it Baltimore's CSA, not DC's CSA or DC/Baltimore's CSA. I'm not sure what your complaint is about here as it's obvious there was no nefarious anti-Baltimore agenda in play there.

Well when the subject of the discussion is CSAs, then it's appropriate to talk about CSAs. But when we talk about "cities" or "metros," typically MSA is what is primarily in view.

Methinks you're just trying to find something to be offended about.
We know that Baltimore's CSA includes DC.

Believe it or not, I have no issues with DC. My issue is that I wish Baltimore to remain the independent city/metro that it is. My only issue is being associated with another city, and another city trying to take credit for Baltimore's success.

That is all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City