Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city has the most vibrant caribbean culture
new york city 23 25.27%
maimi 67 73.63%
boston 0 0%
new jersey 1 1.10%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 09:48 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,730,128 times

Advertisements

since ppl are visual learners:

west indian day parade:

YouTube - 2009 Brooklyn Labor Day Parade PT.3 LucianTube LucianTube.com

YouTube - West Indian Labor Day Parade 2009

puerto rican day parade:

YouTube - Yo en la Parada Puertorriqueña de Nueva York 2000

washington heights:

YouTube - Buggin Out iin Washington Heights on Dominican Day 8-9-09
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 09:51 AM
eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I wans't talking about Florida as a whole I was talking about Dade County alone has a more diverse Latino population than any borough of NYC. It's a known fact that Miami has one of the most diverse Latino populations in the US.
na.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:55 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
thats fine and cool and whatever but there are like 800,000 puerto ricans living in nyc alone. thats more pr's living in nyc than there are ppl in miami and we're arguing about who has the best caribbean culture??

there are over 650,000 dominicans living in ny. thats more dominicans living in ny than there are ppl in miami.

there are 686, 814 ppl that indentify as non latino blacks that were born in various countries in the caribbean living in nyc. again, thats more west indians that aren't latino, living in nyc than ppl living in miami.

so how is this an argument?? no one is saying that its miami's fault that its smaller but why compare a poodle to a great dane?
You know what, I think we're stepping off on the wrong foot. Let's restart this, I'll be sure to be clearer of my intentions this time.

What I'm saying is that, Miami as a city is solely dedicated to Latin American culture. Latin American includes Caribbean, Central American, South American, and Mexican.
The whole city looks and feels like San Juan, Puerto Rico, it's a displaced Latin American city in USA.
When Latin American's make up the majority of Miami's population, it shows the cities diversity solely dedicated to Latin America.
Agree or disagree?

NYC however, is so integrated that you probably can't even tell there's 650,000 Dominicans living there. Because of the diversity, it's nearly impossible to tell what people are, where they come from, etc... There's just so many people of all kinds all in one place.
I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, but you're trying to say that because NYC has a larger number of every Latin American culture that it's a better representation of the Caribbean Latin American culture than Miami is?

Here is an example of what I mean;
Lockhart, Texas is known for BBQ, the best BBQ in Texas, and it has 4 BBQ restaurants.
Austin, having 18 BBQ restaurants just in 10 square miles with very good BBQ as well.

Well Miami is Lockhart, it's the smaller but more well known one of the two when it comes to this specific category (Latin American culture) and NYC is Austin, it might have a larger quantity and same level of quality as Lockhart but it won't ever get that same level of recognition because it's a larger and more diversified city, with South Asian food, Chinese food, Vietnamese food, Italian Food, etc...

You see what I mean?

Old 05-14-2010, 10:11 AM

Island Newsletter

^^ Here look at that, all I'm trying to say is that these Caribbean cultures have a far larger impact on Miami than they do on NYC.

They make up large percentage of Miami's total population, and they do not have the same luxury in NYC because it's ethnically diverse and no one group of minority is larger than another.

Like I've stated, I picked Miami in this poll because the city as a whole is more dedicated to foreign population from the Caribbean culture than NYC is, Miami headquarters many of their banks, and etc...
[SIZE=2]

[/SIZE]

Old 05-14-2010, 10:15 AM
eek

i get what you're saying but the contributions that nyc made to west indian music, west indian food, west indian ppl, etc. is just greater.

hip hop was started by a west indian.
salsa was created in cuba and ny.
the contributions we have given to hollywood, sports, etc. that flow through ny is insane.

etc. etc.

i don't think that one can say that because miami is solely known for west indian culture that it has a larger impact and the best caribbean culture on and of the country given the facts (as far as music, ppl, etc.)

Old 05-14-2010, 10:32 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
na.
na? Alright, you win.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
i get what you're saying but the contributions that nyc made to west indian music, west indian food, west indian ppl, etc. is just greater.

the contributions we have given to hollywood, sports, etc. that flow through ny is insane.

etc. etc.

i don't think that one can say that because miami is solely known for west indian culture that it has a larger impact and the best caribbean culture on and of the country given the facts (as far as music, ppl, etc.)
The Statue of Liberty May Finally Meet Her Mate | Earth Times News

^ That's a cultural contribution coming from a Caribbean man to the city of Miami.

Miami - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

^ Read under Accents, Music, Media and Performing arts. Miami might not have created Salsa music, but it's led way to a lot of dances and music becoming popular in the America's.

I really like the subsection "Accents" it shows Miami's characteristic tied to Latin Americans.

Then look under the demographics subsection.

After that look in the city council and government section.
Miami's political structure itself has been immensely impacted by Latin Americans.

Then look under the airports and port of Miami subsection.
I'm not trying to attack you, but all I'm saying is that Caribbean culture is more than just contributing "Salsa" music.
It's also how integrated of a society they stay in, ease of travel, how they follow politics, what businesses they bring to the city... etc...

In GTA Vice City there are Haitians in there that speak Haitian Creole, and that's a large contribution, at one point it was a top selling game.
It's under the popular culture subsection.

Look under the popular culture subsection.
Miami is a center for Latin television and film production.

Then finally look under the sister cities subsection, and please describe to me what you see.

I'm sorry for sounding harsh, but I'm just trying to make this argument fair for Miami.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:47 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,839,710 times
Man u made a valid point there..

Old 05-14-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
Man u made a valid point there..
Me or Eek?

Old 05-14-2010, 11:12 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:

etc. etc.

As of late? Yes Miami can. Within the past couple of decades Miami has been receiving large influxes from the Caribbean, and these influxes have been the LARGER overall influence for most things Latin American in this country. For example Flatbush in Brooklyn used to be the main hub for Haitians in the US, that hub has shifted down to Miami into the Little Haiti neighborhood, which is now the main hub for Haitians in the US. So maybe in the past, in th 30's through the 60's when NYC was starting to receive it's large Caribbean population it was the most dominant Latin American area, but as the 70's, 80's and 90's rolled along, and more people of Latino and Caribbean descent started moving into South Florida, and more foreign banks, and Latin American headquarters of American companies started moving into South Florida, and more Latin-themed TV channels started moving to South Florida, and more Telanovelas, and other Latin-themed shows started filming in South Florida, the power slowly shifted. Heck, J-Lo a Bronx native is now part owner of the Miami Dolphins, Fat Joe another NY native has a house down there, and is always at Heat games pretending to be from Miami. Here are some Latin-Themed shows and channels filmed down there: Category:Television shows filmed in Miami, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Telemundo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hialeah FL is 92% Hispanic one of the highest in the nation, this is where Telemundo is headquartered: Hialeah, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Doral Florida is home to ALOT of studios where most of the Telenovelas on Univision and Telemundo are filmed at: Doral, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
As you can see, most of Univisions production studios are in Miami, that's where Univision films most of it's show's. As a matter of fact Univision just opened a new studio in Miami called Univision Studios: Univision Opens Miami-Based Production House
Universal Music Latin Entertainment(which is basically the Latino music department of Universal Records) is headquartered in Miami: Universal Music Latin Entertainment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://www.caribbeanbar.org/caribbean_bar/partners/ (broken link)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami#Media
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami#Culture
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami#Demographics
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami#Languages

I'm not denying NYC's past influence on the Latin world in America, but RIGHT NOW, currently, Miami IS the Latin-American hub of influence in America today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City