U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: food orgasm:
New Orleans 89 57.05%
Los Angeles 67 42.95%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 04:15 PM

897 posts, read 345,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgonzalez12 View Post
Tell that to Emirl and the Food Network. New Orleans style food is praised around the world. I've never been to a Los Angeles styled restaurant. But you will find a New Orleans styled restaurant in every major city. I've had mexican food in Los Angeles and I've had Mexican food in New Orleans. I've had Italian in New York and Italian in New Orleans. I'm not saying that N.O. trumps them but it sure can compete. Aside from New York, New Orleans had the highest concentration of Italian immigrants in the country in the early 1900s. That's why New Orleans and Brooklyn dialects are very similar
So is Emirl the god of food? You guys keep mentioning about how you guys have your own style of cuisine and that's good and all and I'm not taking anything away from you guys but this is not about who has the best creole but simply best food, LA trumps NOLA in just about any category, there's really no competition, in LA mediocre places get filtered out because of the population of the ethnicity's demand, in small towns like NOLA that's not the case sorry its the truth, I guess you would have to live in a metropolis like LA or NYC to understand what I'm saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 04:28 PM

11,009 posts, read 8,964,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
So is Emirl the god of food? You guys keep mentioning about how you guys have your own style of cuisine and that's good and all and I'm not taking anything away from you guys but this is not about who has the best creole but simply best food, LA trumps NOLA in just about any category, there's really no competition, in LA mediocre places get filtered out because of the population of the ethnicity's demand, in small towns like NOLA that's not the case sorry its the truth, I guess you would have to live in a metropolis like LA or NYC to understand what I'm saying.
I live in Houston one of the "best food cities" by many subjective lists that have varying credibility. Houston has pretty much everything from every corner of the world, doesn't really make it a better food city. It's subjective.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:06 PM

5,583 posts, read 2,606,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I live in Houston one of the "best food cities" by many subjective lists that have varying credibility. Houston has pretty much everything from every corner of the world, doesn't really make it a better food city. It's subjective.

By all accounts, Houston is one of the top gastronomic cities in the country. Having a diverse ethnic population is critical to good eating, H-town has that.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:18 PM

940 posts, read 995,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgonzalez12 View Post
I've never been to a Los Angeles styled restaurant.
Not to really enter into any argument here, but...

Ever had a cheeseburger? a barbecue chicken pizza? a cobb salad? a hot fudge sundae? a smoothie? a california roll (or any other kind of non-traditional sushi)? a fruity or chocolatey bagel? a donut hole? a korean taco? a frozen banana? an ice-blended coffee? chili cheese fries?

or I don't know, eaten at...

Mcdonalds
Taco Bell
Carl's Junior
Foster's Freeze
Sizzler
Winchells
etc

Again, not that this is exactly cuisine to be proud of--but I know you've eaten it! YOU'VE EATEN LOS ANGELES FOOD!!!

LA's cuisine just happens to have become popular all throughout the nation and world--that's the reason people don't think we have a local food tradition.

Again.. nothing to be proud of. Just sayin'

Old 10-17-2011, 10:22 PM

11,279 posts, read 10,035,152 times
Los Angeles is a great food city and offers far more variety by dint of its size and diversity (all regions of China, Korean, Japanese, Mexican, Guatemalan/Central American, and some interesting fusions and experimental and posh cooking) and there are enough people there interested to form a good community of restauranteurs and clients to make it work. However, it's arguable that Los Angeles hasn't made too big of a contribution to the rest of the world in terms of gastronomy while New Orleans certainly has. So for the person eating in Los Angeles, Los Angeles is better though New Orleans has arguably contributed more.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:48 AM

287 posts, read 127,184 times
Los Angeles has an enormous food scene that I know really well
But I will vote for New Orleans because it has an aunthentic local cuisine
and I like spice dishes like jambalaya as well as gumbo.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:58 AM

11,009 posts, read 8,964,372 times
Spice dishes?

Old 10-21-2011, 02:51 PM

100 posts, read 64,714 times
New Orleans for originality. NYC already has my ethnic food fill

Old 10-21-2011, 04:19 PM

17,337 posts, read 9,814,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
LA has better ethnic food, but New Orleans actually has a unique, original cuisine of its own, which means a lot IMO. There's a difference between having authentic Chinese/Mexican/Peruvian/etc. food in LA and having creole/cajun in New Orleans. In the former case, while the food may be wonderful and authentic, it's still an imitation of a culture/cuisine whose homeland is someplace else. In the case of New Orleans however, creole/cajun food originated in that region, so you really are getting the real thing. LA has some of the best ethnic food in the country, but it can't lay claim to any of those cuisines the way New Orleans can claim creole/cajun. That is what makes NOLA the most interesting (and possibly the best) food city in the country IMO. Yes, better than LA, San Francisco, or New York. Call me crazy, but it's my personal opinion.
Good points. I've never thought of LA as a food city, anyway. I can get most if not all of the same stuff (Indian, Korean, Thai, Vietnamese) back at home. But a thick jamabalya stewed up in some hole in the wall in the 4th Ward? Mmmmm Mmmmmm Goooood! I can't really tell much of a difference between Chinese food in Chinatown NYC and Chinese food in Chinatown SF. But I sure can tell a difference between jamabalya in New Orleans and jambalaya in SF. It just can't be replicated.

Old 10-21-2011, 04:25 PM

816 posts, read 943,028 times
I'd get bored in New Orleans. I don't think the ethnic offerings are as good or plentiful as LA (nor like SF, Chicago, NYC) either... Being used to getting literally anything, anytime and having it comparable to what I'd get in the actual country b/c of heavy heavy ethnic populations...I'd probably complain. They might have a few but I wouldn't be "oh this is great and authentic". I eat a wide variety and eat out often (almost everyday)
N.O. certainly has the more organic and well developed cuisine though. But it's too much of one thing and maybe a handful of decent french/italian/soul food thrown in. The rest IMO is inadequate.

It's good to have about 20-30 restaurants per cuisine to usually get "Great" of that cuisine in my experience. I.E. having 30 places for pho or pakistani, will bring up the quality of all of the restaurants. Not always...but I've been to cities that have maybe 3-4 thai restaurants and they are ALL terrible to average. It's also generally better when those ethnic restaurants are serving primarily their own ethnicities and not the american or tourist palate. When I'm the only one of a few white people in a restaurant, that is usually a good sign.

Note, I am a hardcore foodie and will travel to cities just to go to some restaurants...your mileage may vary.

Last edited by Garfieldian; 10-21-2011 at 04:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City