Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Orlando, Jacksonville, Tampa
Orlando 45 80.36%
Jacksonville 4 7.14%
Tampa 7 12.50%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 06:17 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,058,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoKC View Post
JAX just to be different, and it seems like more of a popular destination than say Tampa which is in a bad economy. Orlando is just the theme park town of Florida.
If only there was a negative rating I would. Whats even funnier is a person from Kansas City which is often seen as a small city is in turn going to put down Orlando as only being tourist attractions.

Just goes to verify everything us Floridians know is true, people from outside love to hate on Orlando because they're misinformed tourists. I suppose I could thank you and to a lesser degree KidPhilly for both proving this once again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 06:32 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Why? It would get every vote. What's the point of doing that? It would be like saying: What color am I writing in? Orange or Green?

It seems like including Orlando is having the same effect. Perhaps this shoud have just been Tampa and Jacksonville. Though I don't see Jacksonville getting many votes.
I think Orlando would have given Miami a decent run if not taken Miami. The question, "Which has the most notoriety nationally?", if looked at literally has to take into account children, parents, etc. A great deal of those 2 groups are going to visualize Orlando and Disney when they think of Florida.

Of course many on this forum will just answer from their own point of view and which area they think of first. The average age on here and the number who are parents being much lower than the nation as a whole might tilt it towards Miami though.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:45 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,691,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Just Disney - thats it - outside of Disney for the city itself I would say Tampa

Jacksonville is a distant third unless playing sawgrass
That doesn't make sense. Disney and orlando's other tourist attractions are what make Orlando Orlando. You can't seperate Orlando and it's theme parks and other attractions like they don't count.. That's like saying Las Vegas is a small town no one knows about besides the strip, but the strip is part of Las Vegas and thats what makes Las Vegas so well known, Like how time square helps make NYC so visited and Hollywood helps make LA so well known. It's kind of annoying hearing everyone say Orlando doesn't count cause it's just a "tourist town". I dont get it.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:04 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
That doesn't make sense. Disney and orlando's other tourist attractions are what make Orlando Orlando. You can't seperate Orlando and it's theme parks and other attractions like they don't count.. That's like saying Las Vegas is a small town no one knows about besides the strip, but the strip is part of Las Vegas and thats what makes Las Vegas so well known, Like how time square helps make NYC so visited and Hollywood helps make LA so well known. It's kind of annoying hearing everyone say Orlando doesn't count cause it's just a "tourist town". I dont get it.

On Vegas and the strip - I agree - outside of the strip it is not well know of or looked at in high regard - good comparison Adult and Child Disney

On NYC - I disagree completely - Times square yes a tourist trap is by no means the destination but part of the agenda

I know this sounds harsh and realize there is other parts to orlando but Orlando and to your point Vegas are by far the most singularly centric cities from that respect - perceptually and in many ways their reality

If it makes you feel any better I do prefer Orlando (even outside of Disney) to Jacksonville

And my point is really without Disney Orlando would have no where the level of public acknowledgement - understand you can't take one and not the other but really without Disney Orlando would be a shell of itself today. Tampa with the coast and sorrounding areas is preffered overall to me. So me saying Orlando Disney "that's it" - Yes without Disney it would not be winning this but having said that it is by far the champion in this category as it stands and without a doubt.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post

And the problem is Disney is such a huge force - not a fault of people who live there

but seriously outside of people in Orlando - ask what are the first things you think of about Orlando:

1- Disney
2 - Magic Kingdom (I know part of Disney)
2 - Epcot
4 - Universal
5 - Sea World
6 - Downtown Disney
7 - Monorails
8 - Animal Kingdom

you get my drift - and I would agree this is unfortunate and disbaraging to those who live and love it there but it is true and perception becomes reality

With all that said there is a reason why they call it the Magic Kingdom - and to many kids, even adults it is a bit of a Mecca and does a great job

Old 05-15-2010, 08:40 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,691,140 times
I understand what your saying. But why talk about "if Disney wasn't there"? Disney is there it has been there for decades and it has attracted many other tourist attractions, amenities, busninesses, and people to the city which has transformed Orlando into one of the most visited cities in the US and one of the largest destinations in the world. It's now an entertainment Mecca and is very well known for that, for more than just Disney. Why talk about the "what ifs"?

Old 05-15-2010, 09:26 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Orlando, duh

Old 05-15-2010, 09:44 AM

404 posts, read 595,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
If only there was a negative rating I would. Whats even funnier is a person from Kansas City which is often seen as a small city is in turn going to put down Orlando as only being tourist attractions.

Just goes to verify everything us Floridians know is true, people from outside love to hate on Orlando because they're misinformed tourists. I suppose I could thank you and to a lesser degree KidPhilly for both proving this once again.
My dad is from Florida, and I have alot of Family in Florida. I've spent atleast a years worths time in Florida my life. Alot for someone who doesn't live there, and only vacations so I know quite a bit about Florida and I say it's a tourist destination as are most cities. It's mostly amusement parks, and the Magic.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:27 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,058,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoKC View Post
My dad is from Florida, and I have alot of Family in Florida. I've spent atleast a years worths time in Florida my life. Alot for someone who doesn't live there, and only vacations so I know quite a bit about Florida and I say it's a tourist destination as are most cities. It's mostly amusement parks, and the Magic.
Wow a whole year compared to people who have lived here their whole lives. So tell me if all Orlando is is Disney why is Disney 40 square miles while Orlando metro is 4000 square miles? Surely you know with your vast knowledge of Orlando. I bet you don't even know the main streets in Orlando metro let alone what we actually have here.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Wow a whole year compared to people who have lived here their whole lives. So tell me if all Orlando is is Disney why is Disney 40 square miles while Orlando metro is 4000 square miles? Surely you know with your vast knowledge of Orlando. I bet you don't even know the main streets in Orlando metro let alone what we actually have here.

I think that is the point - nor is it known as destination to experience this aspect of Orlando - The aspect is Disney - dont knock it - it put you on the map - Orlando without Disney would be a shell of itself

Last edited by kidphilly; 05-15-2010 at 04:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City