Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 02:48 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times

Advertisements

I agree with Prelude. But where is architecture?
Chicago has better DT architecture
DC & Boston have better residential
SF has better overall architecture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 03:23 PM

153 posts, read 381,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
As far as F500 companies, the Bay Area is 2nd to New York.

I would rather have the sort of growth that the Bay Area has. It is based on innovation and creativity.
+1. Completely agree, the economic growth in the Bay Area is second to none for innovation and creativity. You can't find that many ground-breaking, cutting-edge startups/companies that change the world elsewhere...

Quote:
I would say that its Chicago and SF generally have a better arts scene.

As far as classical performing arts-all 4 are very, very strong.
You have the San Francisco Symphony, Chicago Symphony Orchestra, and Boston Symphony Orchestra, three of the greatest ensembles in the country. DC doesn't really have anything on that level, IMO.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:28 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,041,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusEx View Post
+1. Completely agree, the economic growth in the Bay Area is second to none for innovation and creativity. You can't find that many ground-breaking, cutting-edge startups/companies that change the world elsewhere...

You have the San Francisco Symphony, Chicago Symphony Orchestra, and Boston Symphony Orchestra, three of the greatest ensembles in the country. DC doesn't really have anything on that level, IMO.
I agree with that statement, but DC more than makes up for it with it's world class museums and historical landmarks.

Also, I didn't include a poll, it degrades a city when it turns into a popularity contest. All of these cities are absolutely wonderful, and deserve the same amount of respect.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:34 PM

153 posts, read 381,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
I agree with that statement, but DC more than makes up for it with it's world class museums and historical landmarks.

Also, I didn't include a poll, it degrades a city when it turns into a popularity contest. All of these cities are absolutely wonderful, and deserve the same amount of respect.
My statement was purely about classical performing arts. DC loses ground to the others, here, in that respect.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:36 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,959,790 times
- Night Life: Chicago, Boston, SF, DC
- Strongest Economy: DC, Chicago, SF, Boston
- Economic Growth: DC, SF, Boston, Chicago
- Economic Diversification: Chicago, Boston, SF, DC
- Parks: Chicago, DC, Boston, SF
- Zoos: DC/Boston/SF/Chicago (tie)
- Downtown: Chicago, SF, Boston, DC
- Skyline: Chicago, SF, Boston, DC
- Waterfront: SF/Boston/Chicago (tie), DC
- Famous Monuments & Structures: DC, SF, Chicago, Boston
- Theater Scene: Chicago, SF, Boston, DC
- Food Scene: Chicago/SF (tie), Boston, DC
- Cultural Diversity: SF, Chicago, DC, Boston
- Education: Boston, Chicago/SF (tie), DC
- Weather: SF, DC, Boston, Chicago
- Professional Sports: Boston, Chicago, SF, DC
- Roads & Public Transportation: DC, Boston/Chicago (tie), SF
- Airports: Chicago, Boston, SF, DC
- Art Galleries/Art Scene: Chicago/SF (tie), Boston, DC

Old 05-14-2010, 08:57 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,561,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusEx View Post
My statement was purely about classical performing arts. DC loses ground to the others, here, in that respect.
I don't necessarily agree--I feel it more than holds its own. In terms of music, the NSO might not be among the top symphonies in the country, but it remains an excellent ensemble.

But the NSO barely scratches the surface of the classical troupes playing in and around DC. I couldn't even begin to list them all, but I will note that the BSO--another respected orchestra--plays frequent concerts at Strathmore, just north of DC in Rockville, while Fairfax County, just west of DC, maintains its own symphony as well.

A few other selected venues/organizations include the National Cathedral, which is home not only to the Cathedral Choral and Baroque Orchestra, but also the Washington Bach Consort. The National Gallery of Art hosts year-round musical performances, and is home to the the National Gallery Brass Quintet and String Quartet. The Kennedy Center hosts top-rated performances from ensembles and orchestras from around the world (in addition to hosting the NSO). The Library of Congress hosts daily classical music performances, and the Phillips Collection hosts weekly ones. The National Shrine hosts a world-class choral group and hosts regular performances. And the Folger Shakespeare Library does as well.

And on and on. So, would I say DC eclipses San Fran and CHicago in this regard? Perhaps not, but I certainly wouldn't say it loses points. There is a fabulous classical music arts scene in DC.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:37 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,277,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
I struggled with that one, they are both tier 1 sports cities and could go either way.
They could if it were not for the fact that Boston has won 3 Superbowls, 2 World Series and 1 NBA Championship in the last 10 years.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:26 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,277,582 times
Quote:
Well, now it gets all tricky.

Washington-Baltimore has a slightly bigger GDP than Chicagoland, the SF Bay Area is right behind Chicagoland-Boston is way behind despite being bigger than the Bay Area.

As far as GDP, its basically a three-way tie.

As far as F500 companies, the Bay Area is 2nd to New York
It only gets tricky when someone decides that they are going to expand the study area of the OP to include thousands of more square miles.

Overall GDP of the four subject cities is 1. CHI 2. DC 3. BOS 4. SF

GDP per capita is 1. SF 2. DC 3. BOS 4. CHI

Old 05-15-2010, 08:37 AM

27,557 posts, read 28,647,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I agree with Prelude. But where is architecture?
Chicago has better DT architecture
DC & Boston have better residential
SF has better overall architecture
Architecture - DC/Chicago tied, SF, Boston

Most of America's favorite (top 10) architecture is in DC, in terms of buildings, memorials and monuments.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:51 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
It only gets tricky when someone decides that they are going to expand the study area of the OP to include thousands of more square miles.
Yes, well that is the reality of the nation in which we live.

Americans are not city dwellers-they are suburbanites who identify to their principal city. And CSAs further explain the true size of the interconnectivity in these huge areas-which all 4 of these cities are now.

Quote:
Overall GDP of the four subject cities is 1. CHI 2. DC 3. BOS 4. SF
SF City has a larger GDP than Washington City and Boston City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City