Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 10:22 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yes, well that is the reality of the nation in which we live.

Americans are not city dwellers-they are suburbanites who identify to their principal city. And CSAs further explain the true size of the interconnectivity in these huge areas-which all 4 of these cities are now.
Do you believe that all of the Bay Areas identifies with SF as it's undisputed principal city? My aunt and uncle in Palo Alto do not.

SF City has a larger GDP than Washington City and Boston City.
Where do you get individual city GDP?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 10:56 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Do you believe that all of the Bay Areas identifies with SF as it's undisputed principal city? My aunt and uncle in Palo Alto do not.

SF City has a larger GDP than Washington City and Boston City.
I didnt say SF is the undisputed Principal City. This is the Bay Area we're talking about-and everyone thinks their neck of the Bay is the center of gravity.

But SF is the most prominent city in the region and most people will admit that much.

As far as city gdps-I read it in a report several years ago. bea.gov doesnt release county level gdps like they used to so I can't find it.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:42 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I didnt say SF is the undisputed Principal City. This is the Bay Area we're talking about-and everyone thinks their neck of the Bay is the center of gravity.

But SF is the most prominent city in the region and most people will admit that much.

As far as city gdps-I read it in a report several years ago. bea.gov doesnt release county level gdps like they used to so I can't find it.
SF is #1 in everything in the Bay Area except arguably the economy where Silicon Valley puts up strong #'s. As far as I know though San Jose isn't exactly a center of high arts or cultural institutions or a political strong hold...

Old 05-15-2010, 11:50 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
SF is #1 in everything in the Bay Area except arguably the economy where Silicon Valley puts up strong #'s. As far as I know though San Jose isn't exactly a center of high arts or cultural institutions or a political strong hold...
Sports goes to Oakland too, NBA. The Raiders popularity is just slightly less than 49ers and Athletics are less popular than the Giants. San Jose does have more comfortable housing, and the public school system is arguably better there than San Francisco.

But yes, I'm with you 100% on your post.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:54 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
the discourse we were having was specifically economics. Montclair basically said dc sf and chi were all almost equal while Boston was a distant fourth. I just have never seen any info backing this up.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:09 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
the discourse we were having was specifically economics. Montclair basically said dc sf and chi were all almost equal while Boston was a distant fourth. I just have never seen any info backing this up.
As far as CSA gross products, yes its true.

Boston has a larger population, but the Bay Area has a considerably larger GDP, and Chicago has a considerably larger population than either DC or SF but DC has a bigger GDP whilst SF is just shy of Chicagoland.

Combined Statistical Areas by Total Gross Product, 2008

3. Washington-Baltimore-Northern Virginia, DC-MD-VA-WV CSA $533.542 Billion
Baltimore-Towson, MD Metro Area $133,012
Lexington Park, MD Micro Area
Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metro Area $395,747
Winchester, VA-WV Metro Area $4,783

4. Chicago-Naperville-Michigan City, IL-IN-WI CSA $526.895 Billion
Chicago-Naperville-Joliet, IL-IN-WI Metro Area $520,672
Kankakee-Bradley, IL Metro Area $3,094
Michigan City-La Porte, IN Metro Area $3,336

5. San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA CSA $508.418 Billion
Napa, CA Metro Area $7,434
San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA Metro Area $310,825
San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA Metro Area $146,687
Santa Cruz-Watsonville, CA Metro Area $9,903
Santa Rosa-Petaluma, CA Metro Area $20,229
Vallejo-Fairfield, CA Metro Area $13,340

6. Boston-Worcester-Manchester, MA-RI-NH CSA $413.930 Billion
Boston-Cambridge-Quincy, MA-NH Metro Area $299,590
Concord, NH Micro Area
Manchester-Nashua, NH Metro Area $20,782
Providence-New Bedford-Fall River, RI-MA Metro Area $65,152
Worcester, MA Metro Area $28,406

News Release: GDP by Metropolitan Area, Accelerated 2008, New 2007, and Revised 2005-2006

Old 05-15-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
his stats are accurate, SF was already a major player before the giant rise of Silicon Valley beefing it up.

look at all the tech companies out here.. most of the internet companies are not even listed..

http://www.gepworld.com/images/siliconvalley.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-15-2010, 04:40 PM

153 posts, read 381,710 times
Quote:
his stats are accurate, SF was already a major player before the giant rise of Silicon Valley beefing it up.

look at all the tech companies out here.. most of the internet companies are not even listed..
SF has just as many, if not more startups (you could say the newer, more innovative ones), given that SF harbors a more creative, dynamic environment. Look at Twitter, Yelp, Digg, and many more others who have their headquarters in SF. Plus, the majority of the tech and entrepreneurial events are held in downtown SF, instead of the valley, because simply, no one goes the the valley besides the people who actually work there. Most of the hardware-based companies are in SV, naturally, (Intel, Nvidia, etc) because the open, sprawling lots in the valley provide more space for hardware labs, fabs, etc.

Quote:
As far as I know though San Jose isn't exactly a center of high arts or cultural institutions or a political strong hold...
Silicon Valley's actually mostly urban sprawl, if you will. Friends who work in the area say that they escape to the city (SF) or other places for anything not work-related (those who don't already work at tech startups in SF already, that is).

Old 05-15-2010, 11:53 PM

why isn't la in this poll?

Old 05-15-2010, 11:58 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Quote:
why isn't la in this poll?
All of these cities are economically unique, they're very dense cities, and have diverse economies.

These four are completely structured differently than LA, I feel it would've been the odd one out. No offense though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City