Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 08:16 AM

14,460 posts, read 11,201,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
All of these cities are economically unique, they're very dense cities, and have diverse economies.

These four are completely structured differently than LA, I feel it would've been the odd one out. No offense though.
Alright graps and monty, I'll ask the author.

OmShahi, when you asked the question to compare these cities, did you actually mean compare the several thousand square mile CSAs? When you listed DC, did you mean to include Baltimore? When you listed SF, did you mean to include San Jose, 50 miles to the south?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 09:16 AM

688 posts, read 1,482,397 times
Quote:
These four cities might as well be on the same tier (I would understand if that's not the case), since they're all well established and very respectable cities.

My criteria would be;

- Night life
- Strongest economy
- Economic growth
- Economic diversification
- Parks
- Zoo's (Come on, give our furry brotherens some love!)
- Downtown
- Skyline
- Waterfront
- Famous monuments & structures (Bridges, national monuments)
- Theater scene
- Food scene
- Cultural diversity
- Education (Boston obviously, but who would be number two? lol and why?)
- Weather (Minor category)
- Professional sports
- Roads and public transportation
- Airports
- Art galleries/art scene

Those would be the criteria to compare these, you don't have to use them all, but I do encourage you answer at least half of them if you can.
-
Why isn't New York on there? If simply looking from big city criteria (I'm a country boy, but have been more than once to all these places), New York is simply, by city standards, beats all of above, except for climate, I like D.C. (closer to southern climate than the others, I know some of you will say San. Fran. with best climate, to me 58 degrees and wind off bay on Fourth of July at Fisherman's Wharf ain't too comfortable to me, and L.A. to the south has more population and amenities, at least in my opinion, as well as much better climate, except of course for smog)., and I like the D.C. monuments/museums,etc. (after all, it's the seat of our government and has the Smithsonian).

Old 05-16-2010, 09:45 AM

36,628 posts, read 67,146,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post

OmShahi, when you asked the question to compare these cities, did you actually mean compare the several thousand square mile CSAs? When you listed DC, did you mean to include Baltimore? When you listed SF, did you mean to include San Jose, 50 miles to the south?
The reason why this keeps being an issue is because outsiders think they know more then we do about the dynamics of our area.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
The reason why this keeps being an issue is because outsiders think they know more then we do about the dynamics of our area.
Personally, I think the issue is that some people think that their city of choice isn't as impressive on it's own merit and feels the need to add literally thousands more square miles and another whole major city to it.

But that's just me.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:50 AM

36,628 posts, read 67,146,871 times
Quote:
Personally, I think the issue is that some people think that their city of choice isn't as impressive on it's own merit and feels the need to add literally thousands more square miles and another whole major city to it.

But that's just me.
Distance and size are irrelevent. If there is evidence of a cohesive region, which in this case there most definitely is, then its more than acceptable for people who live in that region to point it out.

Furthermore, while SJ might be 50 miles away(since when did that become far anyway), Palo Alto is about 30 miles away from SF...not far at all in the context of MSAs.

San Francisco from Palo Alto(SJ MSA)

View of San Francisco from 71 miles south(Mt Hamilton in the SJ MSA)

Old 05-16-2010, 12:24 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,935,989 times
Quote:

Actually I meant to compare all three, sorry for not being specific enough everyone! City proper, MSA'a, and CSA's. I just wanted a good comparison because these cities are pretty interesting in their own right. I think each one can give the others something to worry about. Don't you agree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpwas View Post
Why isn't New York on there? If simply looking from big city criteria (I'm a country boy, but have been more than once to all these places), New York is simply, by city standards, beats all of above, except for climate, I like D.C. (closer to southern climate than the others, I know some of you will say San. Fran. with best climate, to me 58 degrees and wind off bay on Fourth of July at Fisherman's Wharf ain't too comfortable to me, and L.A. to the south has more population and amenities, at least in my opinion, as well as much better climate, except of course for smog)., and I like the D.C. monuments/museums,etc. (after all, it's the seat of our government and has the Smithsonian).
Please don't take this offensively but I have two reasons for leaving NYC out;

1. Normally it ALWAYS steals the spot light when it's put up against these cities, and generally it's right to do so, but I want to talk about other things, not which city normally can play 2nd best to NYC all the time.
NYC, has a bigger economy, is still growing, has ALL the big city amenities, everything besides the weather.

2. It's a monster compared to these cities, their CSA's are in the same playing field, 7.5 million-10 million. They're all with each other on the listing too.

Table of United States Combined Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As you can see, the part I highlighted from your post is exactly why I left it out. Not looking for the best of these cities, I'm looking to see where and how all four of these cities differentiate themselves from the other. I am impressed with the work everyone in this thread has put in so far.

However, if you asked me why Philadelphia isn't on here, I would say it was an accident not putting that one here, because Philly deserves to be here too.
LA and NYC are way to monstrous for this thread. Lol, I hope you guys understand what I mean?

Old 05-16-2010, 01:39 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,380,094 times
Quote:
Actually I meant to compare all three, sorry for not being specific enough everyone! City proper, MSA'a, and CSA's. I just wanted a good comparison because these cities are pretty interesting in their own right. I think each one can give the others something to worry about. Don't you agree?

Please don't take this offensively but I have two reasons for leaving NYC out;

1. Normally it ALWAYS steals the spot light when it's put up against these cities, and generally it's right to do so, but I want to talk about other things, not which city normally can play 2nd best to NYC all the time.
NYC, has a bigger economy, is still growing, has ALL the big city amenities, everything besides the weather.

2. It's a monster compared to these cities, their CSA's are in the same playing field, 7.5 million-10 million. They're all with each other on the listing too.

Table of United States Combined Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As you can see, the part I highlighted from your post is exactly why I left it out. Not looking for the best of these cities, I'm looking to see where and how all four of these cities differentiate themselves from the other. I am impressed with the work everyone in this thread has put in so far.

However, if you asked me why Philadelphia isn't on here, I would say it was an accident not putting that one here, because Philly deserves to be here too.
LA and NYC are way to monstrous for this thread. Lol, I hope you guys understand what I mean?

yeah but I think Chicago and Philly are more of a city than LA is... even given LA's size...Also Chicago is an Alpha level city above LA...
LA is more of a monstrous region than a monstrous city... To somebody like me, it holds no weight, as I am generally only concerned with principle cities. If I was living in LA for instance I'd rather just fly to vegas or SF than to explore more of OC or something like that.

Old 05-16-2010, 02:47 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,373,667 times
Quote:

But that's just me.

City limits are meaningless, lets just pretend for a second that we decide to only use city limts:

Education: Northwestern (Evanston), Harvard/MIT (Cambridge) would not be included.

Zoo's: Chicago's largest zoo is in Brookfield, IL, guess we can not add it.

Airports: DC does not have an airport in city limits, guess Reagan, Dulles, BWI dont count. SF doesnt have an airport either.

Economy: Many of the fortune 500 companies listed are outside city limits

Sports: Patriots play in Foxborough, Redskins play in landover, A's play in Oakland, etc

Public Transportation: CTA, BART, Metro, T, all run outside of city limits.

Your right though, Metro areas are meaningless, and are not relevant to this thread

Old 05-16-2010, 04:05 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,256,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
City limits are meaningless, lets just pretend for a second that we decide to only use city limts:

Education: Northwestern (Evanston), Harvard/MIT (Cambridge) would not be included.

Airports: DC does not have an airport in city limits, guess Reagan, Dulles, BWI dont count. SF doesnt have an airport either.

Sports: Patriots play in Foxborough, Redskins play in landover, A's play in Oakland, etc

Your right though, Metro areas are meaningless, and are not relevant to this thread
Northwestern is partly in Chicago, and just because city transportation goes outside of the city doesn't mean anything.

Old 05-16-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post

So you believe that Baltimore is simply a suburb of DC and San Jose is simply SF's bedroom community.
Ask krudmonk what he thinks about that.

Surprisingly enough I do think the metro area is the standard. However, those secondary cities are most certainly not in the primary city's metro area. Another thing that may surprise you is that, as a Patriots fan who lives in Boston, I do not consider Foxborough to be in the Metro-Boston area even though it is only 26 miles from downtown.
Hence New England Patriots.

BTW, where would you expect the Oakland Athletics to play?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City