U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-14-2010, 01:34 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX/Chicago, IL/Houston, TX/Washington, DC
10,171 posts, read 12,186,407 times
Reputation: 4047

Advertisements

These four cities might as well be on the same tier (I would understand if that's not the case), since they're all well established and very respectable cities.

My criteria would be;

- Night life
- Strongest economy
- Economic growth
- Economic diversification
- Parks
- Zoo's (Come on, give our furry brotherens some love!)
- Downtown
- Skyline
- Waterfront
- Famous monuments & structures (Bridges, national monuments)
- Theater scene
- Food scene
- Cultural diversity
- Education (Boston obviously, but who would be number two? lol and why?)
- Weather (Minor category)
- Professional sports
- Roads and public transportation
- Airports
- Art galleries/art scene


Those would be the criteria to compare these, you don't have to use them all, but I do encourage you answer at least half of them if you can.
-
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-14-2010, 01:52 PM
 
1,750 posts, read 2,803,321 times
Reputation: 764
- Night life: Chicago, DC, Boston, SF
- Strongest economy: DC, Chicago, SF, Boston
- Economic growth: DC, SF, Boston, Chicago
- Economic diversification: Chicago, Boston, SF, DC
- Parks: Chicago/DC (Tie), Boston, SF
- Zoo's (Come on, give our furry brotherens some love!): I have not been to the SF or Boston Zoo. But the National Zoo in DC is better than Brookfield and Lincoln Park strictly on animals, however, LP Zoo wins easy on location!
- Downtown: Chicago, SF, Boston, DC
- Skyline: Chciago, SF, Boston, DC
- Waterfront: Chicago, SF, Boston, DC
- Famous monuments & structures (Bridges, national monuments): DC, SF, Chicago, Boston
- Theater scene: Chicago, DC, Boston, SF
- Food scene: Chicago/SF (tie), Boston/DC (Tie)
- Cultural diversity: DC, SF, Chicago, Boston
- Education (Boston obviously, but who would be number two? lol and why?)Boston, SF, DC, Chicago
- Weather (Minor category): SF, DC, Boston, Chicago
- Professional sports: Chicago, Boston, DC, SF
- Roads and public transportation: Chicago, DC, Boston, SF
- Airports: Chicago, DC, SF, Boston
- Art galleries/art scene: DC, Chicago (cant comment on SF and Boston)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2010, 01:57 PM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
15,665 posts, read 18,217,507 times
Reputation: 11164
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
- Night life: Chicago, DC, Boston, SF
- Strongest economy: DC, Chicago, SF, Boston
- Economic growth: DC, SF, Boston, Chicago
- Economic diversification: Chicago, Boston, SF, DC
- Parks: Chicago/DC (Tie), Boston, SF
- Zoo's (Come on, give our furry brotherens some love!): I have not been to the SF or Boston Zoo. But the National Zoo in DC is better than Brookfield and Lincoln Park strictly on animals, however, LP Zoo wins easy on location!
- Downtown: Chicago, SF, Boston, DC
- Skyline: Chciago, SF, Boston, DC
- Waterfront: Chicago, SF, Boston, DC
- Famous monuments & structures (Bridges, national monuments): DC, SF, Chicago, Boston
- Theater scene: Chicago, DC, Boston, SF
- Food scene: Chicago/SF (tie), Boston/DC (Tie)
- Cultural diversity: DC, SF, Chicago, Boston
- Education (Boston obviously, but who would be number two? lol and why?)Boston, SF, DC, Chicago
- Weather (Minor category): SF, DC, Boston, Chicago
- Professional sports: Chicago, Boston, DC, SF
- Roads and public transportation: Chicago, DC, Boston, SF
- Airports: Chicago, DC, SF, Boston
- Art galleries/art scene: DC, Chicago (cant comment on SF and Boston)
I generally agree with this. Looks like DC and Chicago are pretty much tied overall. It would be nice to do breakdowns like this when discussing all cities.

Another category: Museums = DC
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2010, 01:57 PM
 
Location: Denver
6,628 posts, read 12,116,115 times
Reputation: 4051
Professional sports to Chicago over Boston?! Not so sure about that one. Everything else looks pretty spot-on though.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2010, 01:58 PM
 
1,750 posts, read 2,803,321 times
Reputation: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Professional sports to Chicago over Boston?! Not so sure about that one. Everything else looks pretty spot-on though.
I struggled with that one, they are both tier 1 sports cities and could go either way.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2010, 02:03 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX/Chicago, IL/Houston, TX/Washington, DC
10,171 posts, read 12,186,407 times
Reputation: 4047
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
I struggled with that one, they are both tier 1 sports cities and could go either way.
I also think strongest economy goes to Chicago. It's got the highest GDP and Fortune Global 500/Fortune 500 companies out of them all.

But spot on with the economic growth. DC is growing very fast.

I think San Francisco should be able to compete with DC and Chicago on the art section. It's got a nice art scene.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2010, 02:11 PM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland/ Piedmont, CA
31,575 posts, read 53,114,182 times
Reputation: 14495
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
I also think strongest economy goes to Chicago. It's got the highest GDP and Fortune Global 500/Fortune 500 companies out of them all.
Well, now it gets all tricky.

Washington-Baltimore has a slightly bigger GDP than Chicagoland, the SF Bay Area is right behind Chicagoland-Boston is way behind despite being bigger than the Bay Area.

As far as GDP, its basically a three-way tie.

As far as F500 companies, the Bay Area is 2nd to New York.

Quote:
But spot on with the economic growth. DC is growing very fast.
I would rather have the sort of growth that the Bay Area has. It is based on innovation and creativity.

The region stagnates due to market fluctuations but also rises much more than the others when things are great.

Quote:
I think San Francisco should be able to compete with DC and Chicago on the art section. It's got a nice art scene.
Its not just based on museums-but the whole scene. Art shows, galleries, concentration of artists and a general buzz about arts in a particular place.

I would say that its Chicago and SF generally have a better arts scene.

As far as classical performing arts-all 4 are very, very strong.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2010, 02:12 PM
 
1,750 posts, read 2,803,321 times
Reputation: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
I also think strongest economy goes to Chicago. It's got the highest GDP and Fortune Global 500/Fortune 500 companies out of them all.
MSA stats are very misleading for Washington, DC; The DC CSA is larger than the Chicago CSA in terms of overall economy size, plus Washington, DC has a more stable economy due to the presence of the Federal Government
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2010, 02:17 PM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland/ Piedmont, CA
31,575 posts, read 53,114,182 times
Reputation: 14495
Quote:
Cultural diversity: DC, SF, Chicago, Boston
If this refers to the diversity of cultures together in each respective area, then San Francisco feels a bit more diverse than the other 3.





.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2010, 02:27 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX/Chicago, IL/Houston, TX/Washington, DC
10,171 posts, read 12,186,407 times
Reputation: 4047
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
MSA stats are very misleading for Washington, DC; The DC CSA is larger than the Chicago CSA in terms of overall economy size, plus Washington, DC has a more stable economy due to the presence of the Federal Government
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well, now it gets all tricky.

Washington-Baltimore has a slightly bigger GDP than Chicagoland, the SF Bay Area is right behind Chicagoland-Boston is way behind despite being bigger than the Bay Area.

As far as GDP, its basically a three-way tie.

As far as F500 companies, the Bay Area is 2nd to New York.


I would rather have the sort of growth that the Bay Area has. It is based on innovation and creativity.

The region stagnates due to market fluctuations but also rises much more than the others when things are great.


Its not just based on museums-but the whole scene. Art shows, galleries, concentration of artists and a general buzz about arts in a particular place.

I would say that its Chicago and SF generally have a better arts scene.

As far as classical performing arts-all 4 are very, very strong.
Ah you're right, this does get tricky.

First you have the comparison within the City.
Then you have the comparison within the MSA.
Then you have the comparison within the CSA.

F500 companies from City, MSA, CSA goes as following.

City wise Chicago leads F500 list
Fortune 500 2010: Cities with most companies - FORTUNE on CNNMoney.com

MSA wise; Still Chicago

CSA wise: Bay Area (San Francisco-Oakland + San Jose MSA)
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top