Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 08:46 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyKing54 View Post
Not to mention Philly was named the youth gang capital of America back in the 60's-70's.
I grew up in 1990s Philadelphia. There were no "Nine Trey Bloods." If you grew up in the Delaware Valley Region, you know that the closest things we had to "gangs" during that time were the Junior Black Mafia ("JBM") and the Jamaican Posse. Even then, those groups weren't about "gangbanging," throwing up signs, wearing colors and defending turf. They were purely money making enterprises. When I think of "Bloods" and "Crips," I think of more than some affiliation of guys whose purpose is to get cake. They have a culture, rituals, tatoos, sets, and all that stuff. I've never known Philly to have that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 09:13 AM

364 posts, read 717,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianIvanov View Post
Why do people think the east does not have many gangs? Because you do not hear about gang colors here? Do you know who is smuggling drugs and weapons up and down I-95 from Columbian cartel, to the Mob, to radical terrorist supporting Muslims. The whole I-95 is a hotbed for criminal activity, everything from organized crime to your average street gang set tripping. Philadelphia is no exception.

I agree gangs are stupid but people make stupid decisions like that whether you are in Compton or Philly.
I-95?? Columbian Cartel?? Those days are over, the new "Cocaine Cowboy" is a Mexican guy driving an F-350 with a painting on his back window of a wolf and woman crying. Kind of joking, but not really. The Columbians dont do anything but grow it now, thats it. And gangs in the east and the south too are groups of kids who listen to rap music to much, they share no similarities with gangs in LA or Chicago. None, saying that is an insult to the dudes in places like Chicago who actually go to war with rival gangs, not sit around all day and make youtube videos trying to act tough. All those murders in Chicago are not random, those are wars between "decks" of rival gangs...as big as the city is they know who is from "the hood" and who isnt...

Old 06-17-2010, 01:15 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,472,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone2flyboy View Post
I-95?? Columbian Cartel?? Those days are over, the new "Cocaine Cowboy" is a Mexican guy driving an F-350 with a painting on his back window of a wolf and woman crying. Kind of joking, but not really. The Columbians dont do anything but grow it now, thats it. And gangs in the east and the south too are groups of kids who listen to rap music to much, they share no similarities with gangs in LA or Chicago. None, saying that is an insult to the dudes in places like Chicago who actually go to war with rival gangs, not sit around all day and make youtube videos trying to act tough. All those murders in Chicago are not random, those are wars between "decks" of rival gangs...as big as the city is they know who is from "the hood" and who isnt...
Exactly! +1

Old 06-17-2010, 06:25 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I grew up in 1990s Philadelphia. There were no "Nine Trey Bloods." If you grew up in the Delaware Valley Region, you know that the closest things we had to "gangs" during that time were the Junior Black Mafia ("JBM") and the Jamaican Posse. Even then, those groups weren't about "gangbanging," throwing up signs, wearing colors and defending turf. They were purely money making enterprises. When I think of "Bloods" and "Crips," I think of more than some affiliation of guys whose purpose is to get cake. They have a culture, rituals, tatoos, sets, and all that stuff. I've never known Philly to have that.
Philly may not be big with gangs, but it's just as rough as those cities, if not worse. The hardest gangbangers would know better than to act up in North, West, and SW Philly, not to mention Camden and Chester.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:41 AM

648 posts, read 1,617,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone2flyboy View Post
It may not be like the 80s, but they are far from "dead." You could also throw in other South American cartels.. with Mexicans. What is it all you do is watch TV and base your claims like nothing is going on up and down it but wannabe gangsters? Why do you think the police set up truck inspection checkpoints on the highway because they are checking for smuggling of weapons, drugs, and anything illegal. Maybe you have not noticed it because they do not do it every day of your commute and they do it at certain hours but it is all out there. 95 is the hotbed of organized crime, much more sophisticated than those brainless gangbangers you see lighting cars on fire after the Lakers win last night.

And when did I say murders were random? I know 99% of the time it is stupid gangs targeting stupid gangs. Either way, they are all idiots. Gangs are stupid and organized criminals are smart people but they are stupid for risking their life over materialism when they are so smart, they could start their own business legally and make a lot of money.

Last edited by RussianIvanov; 06-18-2010 at 09:53 AM..

Old 08-22-2010, 09:42 AM

23 posts, read 143,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingduck41 View Post
'

Yeah I think you're right but Compton has cleaned up a lot since. Also 75 murders for 90k people is bad, but there is worse out there for sure.
how about 90 murders for 25,000 people watts,ca

Old 08-22-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Add all the Hispanic gangs, and the Asian, and the white supremacist gangs in LA, and those "fictitious pictures of gangs in LA" turns into a fictitious picture that doesn't do LA's REAL HISTORIC gang problem any justice.
those numbers are wrong man
I know for a fact that there's more bounty hunter bloods members then 4,000
in that one blood set in L.A in far as crips its way more numbers then that man
grape street its self almost equal to that .. In you haven't even mentioned the latino gangs man in the hoovers ...

Old 08-22-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
and to make matters worst this person is a racist, he clearly wrote "BLACK KILLA" lmao id love to see mexicans like yourself pull that in nyc.
LOL man they don't even pull that in L.A only in they own hoods
bps in r20's be smashing on them dudes

Old 08-23-2010, 12:05 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
I was watching MTV the other day and they were doing a show called "Gangland" and god damn... California in general has some hardcore gangs and gang system. The Nuestro Familias and Sortenos (Los Angeles) seem to go at it with some mega violent tactics.
They make the Crips & Bloods look like a joke almost.

Also they did the Chicago & New York City gangs from the 1980s-1990's and things looked terrible back then..

Old 08-23-2010, 05:50 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,195,975 times
Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City