Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which American city is the best for African Americans?
Atlanta, GA 70 50.36%
Washington, D.C. 26 18.71%
Baltimore, MD 1 0.72%
Raleigh, NC 2 1.44%
Charlotte, NC 5 3.60%
Richmond, VA 5 3.60%
Virginia Beach, VA 2 1.44%
Orlando, FL 0 0%
Miami, FL 1 0.72%
San Antonio, TX 2 1.44%
Houston, TX 12 8.63%
Philadelphia, PA 5 3.60%
New York City, NY 6 4.32%
Boston, MA 1 0.72%
Chicago, IL 1 0.72%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-28-2016, 07:05 PM

125 posts, read 173,859 times

Advertisements

In terms of entrepreneurship, low disparities and economic gaps between African Americans and Whites, homeownership, and overall economically.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 07:18 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,957,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamato2 View Post
In terms of entrepreneurship, low disparities and economic gaps between African Americans and Whites, homeownership, and overall economically.
This is tricky. Entrepreneurship in the black community is often the product of being squeezed out of the labor market. It's a really bad measure of economic prosperity. Home ownership statistics can also be misleading.

Atlanta often comes up in discussions like this, but the city actually has a fairly low rate of upward mobility and poor health outcomes. DC's black community is being gentrified out to PG county, which is the wealthiest predominantly black county in the country, but it has bad schools and public services.

I personally believe NYC is the best city for Black people. While the disparities between black and white New Yorkers may be a large, a big part of that is if there is just so much wealth in the city. There are also lower rates of homeownership, because it's a renters city. In terms of sheer numbers, New York still has more black professionals, and I feel it's more open and easy to network. It also has one of the highest rates of upward mobility in the country.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:23 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,477,117 times
Atlanta. NYC is too expensive.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:24 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,804 times
The Southeast

Old 07-28-2016, 07:26 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,816,137 times
I voted Atlanta. Having lived there for 20 years I have gotten to know many successful African Americans. The city has a large African American population which plays largely into the culture of the city as a whole.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:32 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,957,035 times
I'll just leave these here

As Atlanta

Solving Poverty: Atlanta in Black and Green, the Tale of Two Cities

http://nyti.ms/13tc1jY

Old 07-28-2016, 07:33 PM

14,048 posts, read 13,923,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Atlanta. NYC is too expensive.
What Atlanta rent prices ? I though it cheap

Old 07-28-2016, 07:51 PM

93,235 posts, read 123,842,121 times
I would just search for the very informative Black Mecca thread, which is a C-D classic in terms of the information that is within it. There may be some surprise areas that aren't listed in this poll. For instance, some military towns may yield some good results.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:04 PM

93,235 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
This is tricky. Entrepreneurship in the black community is often the product of being squeezed out of the labor market. It's a really bad measure of economic prosperity. Home ownership statistics can also be misleading.

Atlanta often comes up in discussions like this, but the city actually has a fairly low rate of upward mobility and poor health outcomes. DC's black community is being gentrified out to PG county, which is the wealthiest predominantly black county in the country, but it has bad schools and public services.

I personally believe NYC is the best city for Black people. While the disparities between black and white New Yorkers may be a large, a big part of that is if there is just so much wealth in the city. There are also lower rates of homeownership, because it's a renters city. In terms of sheer numbers, New York still has more black professionals, and I feel it's more open and easy to network. It also has one of the highest rates of upward mobility in the country.
Actually, a former NY State metro that had one of the smallest Black-White per capita income gaps in the country was the Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown metro. It just recently became a part of the NYC metro area, but it also had one of the smallest per capita gaps between Hispanics-non Hispanic Whites and Asians made more on a per capita basis. It was also one of the most integrated metro areas for a top 100 metro. A part of this may be due to the military presence there(West Point) and access to NYC jobs, as some would commute by train into the City. I believe that the metro's Black median household income was close to the state median household income or at least the national median household income.

Another NY State metro where Blacks have a slightly higher median household income is the Watertown-Fort Drum metro area. As you could tell, it is home to Fort Drum Army Base, which is how many of the area Black residents came to the area. So, there is some connection to a Black military presence and income in relation to other groups. Fairbanks AK is another area that comes to mind in this regard as well.

You may be interested in this thread, gladhands: http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...mmunities.html

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-28-2016 at 08:35 PM..

Old 07-28-2016, 08:25 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,470,377 times
Atlanta
Washington, DC
Houston
New York City

Why do you have San Antonio as an option but not LA or Dallas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City