Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 04:04 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,179,870 times

Advertisements

Vince Carter is still good, he's playing in the playoffs with the Magic right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 04:11 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,031,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Remember when Tracy McGrady, Vince Carter, Antonio McDyess, Stephon Marbury and Allen Iverson were good?

I know that Cleveland takes the crown, but come on guys, don't get so down on your city!!! As a kid I remember the Indians being a powerhouse in the 90s, so that should count for something. And Browns fans, how you feel about the team going to Baltimore is how we feel about the North Stars. Also, at least you have LeBron, for now.
Iverson was a beast, like he was pretty dang good. Tracy was amazing too, I remember going to most of the Rocket's games, whether we won or lost, I had a great time watching the Rocket's because Tracy gave it his all and so did Yao.
Now, the Rocket's are just an annoyance.

Vince Carter was amazing, he's still rather good. His teams going pretty far. They're my pick for the championship game along with the Lakers. Even though I like the Spurs and Lakers more. The Spurs are out, and Lakers, ehh we'll see.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:26 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,650,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Remember when Tracy McGrady, Vince Carter, Antonio McDyess, Stephon Marbury and Allen Iverson were good?

I know that Cleveland takes the crown, but come on guys, don't get so down on your city!!! As a kid I remember the Indians being a powerhouse in the 90s, so that should count for something. And Browns fans, how you feel about the team going to Baltimore is how we feel about the North Stars. Also, at least you have LeBron, for now.
Yeah Iverson, McGrady, and Marbury all had the same thing happen to them. They all put up great numbers for alot of their careers, but all feel off. In their defense they are all 30 or older now. Most basketball players peak from ages 21-29. Yeah I was born in 1992, so I don't really remember the Indians good teams in the 90s. I started becoming a major sport fan in 2002 when I was 10 yo. Cavs have been mostly good since I've been I sports fan, Indians have been alright, and the Browns have had mostly bad seasons. The 2007 Indians were fun to watch. To bad they blew a 3-1 series lead over Boston in the ALCS that year.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:30 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,307,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
Vince Carter is still good, he's playing in the playoffs with the Magic right now.
Compared to the Vince Carter 10 years ago he's just average today.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:32 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,307,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Actually you are wrong about Shaq. Hes played with the Magic, Lakers, Heat, Suns, and Cavs. Only the Lakers(3 titles) and Heat(1 Title) won. But yeah Tracy McGrady has never played past the first round of the playoffs. He probably won't even be a Knick next year.
Its a shame cuz McGrady had potential to go past the first round. He had many chances including last season but he was injured.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:23 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,031,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
Its a shame cuz McGrady had potential to go past the first round. He had many chances including last season but he was injured.
That's debatable, many would say we wouldn't make it to round 2 with Tracy. I know I know, but how can you not make it with one of your best players and that too when they're healthy? Because McGrady has been known to choke quite a lot.
Talented player, very good, but also a choke artist. That's what everyone in my area of Houston calls him.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:48 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,671,922 times
Quote:

Exactly. I remember the Toronto Raptors Vinc-sainity. Now, he's just a has-been. I was actually REALLY surprised at his numbers and how well he played this year for Orlando. I was really impressed.

Also, what ever happened to Steve Francis? He was huge too!

and to the 1992 born! Oh man, you make me feel old! I was born in 1985. I remember the 1991 Twins World Series as being one my my first memories!!

I bet you don't even remember the Michael Jordan days of the 1990s.

The 1990s were truly best the NBA ever was.

NBA on NBC on Sundays was epic. The Orlando Magic vs Chicago Bulls games... Reggie, Hakeem, Patrick Ewing, John Starks, Horace Grant, Shawn Kemp, The Glove, Sam Cassell, Shaq with the Magic and Jordan with the Bulls, Clyde Drexler, Glen Rice, Larry Johnson, Alonzo Mourning, Jamaal Mashburn....

Pretty much everything PRE High School Draft Era.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Yeah Iverson, McGrady, and Marbury all had the same thing happen to them. They all put up great numbers for alot of their careers, but all feel off. In their defense they are all 30 or older now. Most basketball players peak from ages 21-29. Yeah I was born in 1992, so I don't really remember the Indians good teams in the 90s. I started becoming a major sport fan in 2002 when I was 10 yo. Cavs have been mostly good since I've been I sports fan, Indians have been alright, and the Browns have had mostly bad seasons. The 2007 Indians were fun to watch. To bad they blew a 3-1 series lead over Boston in the ALCS that year.

It's that stupid NBA attitude that I thinks that's why they suck now.
They get to the point where they are like "F, it. I'm AI, I'm StarBury, I'm TMAC, I'm Vincainity, I don't need no summer workouts. I don't need to work on my jump shot, man."

Then they wash up. They all had those types of attitudes on-court, in post game interviews and just how they carried themselves in general.

Shaq still plays pretty good and he's pushing 40. Jordan rocked it forever. In this day and age the 30s debate is kind of BS. Favre got his butt kicked as a NFL QB and he was 40.

Medicine and preventative measures and rehab have all lengthened the lifespan of Athletes.

I just think those guys got so Hollywood that they just said F it, I don't need to sustain. I got millions.

Remember, the Timberwolves drafted Ray Allen and traded him FOR Marbury. Look at Marbury, he played for $80,000 last year in China. Look at Allen, he's looking better than ever.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post

Yeah, after looking at his numbers I was really surprised. He's sustained a pretty good career, all pretty consistent seasons.

I just think that he's not a superstar that he once was, and I guess playin' for the Nets for 8 seasons will do that.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:31 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,001 times
Quote:
Isn't everybody over 30 this way? Compare Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, Shaq, Grant Hill, etc. to 10 years ago...players don't continue to be dominant throughout their careers.

Vince Carter has a couple of good NBA years left in him.

Last edited by DeaconJ; 05-18-2010 at 10:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City