Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2010, 03:30 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,869,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdm_ad View Post
Link to your claim that KC has many more units?

Hahaha, you won't be able to because, like half of your posts, it's BS.

Where Vacancy Rates Are Rising - Forbes.com

Quote:

The Kansas City metro area tops our list of America's Abandoned Cities. In Kansas City, rental vacancy rates rose from 11.9% to 15% over the past year; homeowner vacancy rates nearly doubled, up from 2.1% to 3.8%
that's metro area dummy.

here:

well, according to your link, downtown StL had 8019 units as of 2009.

Downtown KC had 11500 as of 2007, so I'm sure it's higher now, but even in 2007, it was higher than the 8019 units StL had in 2009.

As of April 2010, market rate rentals in downtown KC were 93% occupied, affordable units were 95% occupied.

At the end of last year, 17,672 people lived in downtown KC.

http://kansascity.bizjournals.com/ka...si_real_estate

According to this link, KC has at least 13,405 units today when you take 11,500 and add what was under construction in 2007. I'm sure it's probably over 14k now.

Downtown Kansas City: Facts, Discussion Forum, and Encyclopedia Article

KC has more units, more residents and a lower vacancy rate. End of story.

Last edited by kcmo; 05-19-2010 at 03:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcitygirl View Post
I prefer to have independent, unique restaurants and shops.
How long you going to wait for that? You have two stadiums and an arena down there. You have had a downtown baseball stadium for how long? Maybe it's time to bring in something "canned" and trust me, downtown kc has plenty of alternatives to the P&L district and I think most downtown residents avoid the district for the most part. But it's still an integral part of the puzzle to attract people to downtown and like I said, StL people were excited, and would be today had ballpark village been built, but since it's a pile of dirt (even though it "broke ground" before the P&L district), lets put down the P&L district in KC!

Old 05-19-2010, 03:50 PM

529 posts, read 1,008,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
that's metro area dummy.

here:

well, according to your link, downtown StL had 8019 units as of 2009.

Downtown KC had 11500 as of 2007, so I'm sure it's higher now, but even in 2007, it was higher than the 8019 units StL had in 2009.

As of April 2010, market rate rentals downtown KC were 93% occupied, affordable units were 95% occupied.

At the end of last year, 17,672 people lived in downtown KC.

Downtown Kansas City housing now floats atop a new wave: rental units - Kansas City Business Journal

According to this link, KC has at least 13,405 units today when you take 11,500 and add what was under construction in 2007. I'm sure it's probably over 14k now.

Downtown Kansas City: Facts, Discussion Forum, and Encyclopedia Article

KC has more units, more residents and a lower vacancy rate. End of story.

Again, you are forgetting that STL has TWO business districts, downtown STL and Clayton. Get back to me with the stats on both.

STL is bigger, has more people, offers more and is the better city.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdm_ad View Post
Again, you are forgetting that STL has TWO business districts, downtown STL and Clayton. Get back to me with the stats on both.

STL is bigger, has more people, offers more and is the better city.
Really? The Plaza area's apartments and condos dwarfs downtown's. Really want to go there? Way to change the subject though .

Old 05-19-2010, 03:57 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,870,771 times
I was super excited about the Ballpark Village, until I visited P&L. There are still plenty of places to go before or after a game. I would just prefer something more organic. I dont have to wait at all, there are several restaurants opening all the time Downtown, that are not chains. Ballpark Village eventually will be built, but I fear for the independent businesses that make STL unique. KCMO, I always respected your posts until this thread, its been very childish. No offense, but you haven't been in STL in some time, and you don't even live in Missouri. Many of your posts about STL are very dated. The inner South Side of STL has literally been rebuilt, not a small task. Downtown West doesn't even look like the same place it did a few years back. I would post some pics of projects but I have to go play volleyball, downtown!

Old 05-19-2010, 03:59 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,870,771 times
and remember, we have 4 skylines/districts: Downtown, Midtown, Central West End and Clayton. When you drive in on 40, you get to see each one.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
I was super excited about the Ballpark Village, until I visited P&L. There are still plenty of places to go before or after a game. I would just prefer something more organic. I dont have to wait at all, there are several restaurants opening all the time Downtown, that are not chains. Ballpark Village eventually will be built, but I fear for the independent businesses that make STL unique. KCMO, I always respected your posts until this thread, its been very childish. No offense, but you haven't been in STL in some time, and you don't even live in Missouri. Many of your posts about STL are very dated. The inner South Side of STL has literally been rebuilt, not a small task. Downtown West doesn't even look like the same place it did a few years back. I would post some pics of projects but I have to go play volleyball, downtown!
I love stl dearly and go to bat for it all the time. But I always love a good kc stl fight and have not really had one in a while. Don't take it personally. I will chill out now.

BTW, I was in StL a few weeks ago. I'm there all the time. Lived there, have family and friends there. I love the city.

Just don't mess with kc .

Old 05-19-2010, 04:04 PM

529 posts, read 1,008,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Really? The Plaza area's apartments and condos dwarfs downtown's. Really want to go there? Way to change the subject though .
Change the subject? I answered you directly. Way to dodge my point.

When looking at the entire picture, instead of focusing on tiny parts like you are trying to do, it becomes clear that STL is much larger with more activities and opportunities than KC.

Actually, I will let you make my point for me:

the Plaza riot

Quote: For example, St Louis County has areas a hell of lot nicer than anything in JoCo and probably a lot more people living in those nice areas , but it won't rank in the top 20 or even 50 because it's a pretty diverse county and it has a million people. If you took just west county and the central corridor Missouri River to Clayton,then you have an area that makes JoCo look like the plastic prairie that it is. They have trees, hills, dense areas, historic areas, brick siding rather than vinyl and stucco.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:14 PM

^ that's right. I was comparing suburban IL to suburban KS. I understand though, difficult to comprehend.

I guess so is admitting that Downtown KC has more residents than downtown StL. You know sometimes you just have to live with the facts.

Like I just told stlcitygirl, I like StL and yes, the suburbs of stl blow away the "KS" burbs of KC.

I really like StL, always have. But if you want to do some kc vs stl smack, I will.

Bottom line is the cities ARE pretty similar and offer a very similar amount of culture/entertainment. On a grand scale of things, they just are not that different. 2 million, 2.8 million. Whatever. Same thing trust me. Average medium sized metros like the other 15-20 metros out there that are also about the same...

Old 05-19-2010, 04:24 PM

886 posts, read 2,224,928 times
Quote:
I hope you are joking, right? Put a pic of KC's skyline and a pic of STL's skyline, and play "name that skyline". 10 out of 10 will pic out STL, I will guess 0 will know KC's.
LOL of course.. cuz STL has a big arch... durrr... thats is THE ONLY thing STL has going for its skyline.... a giant arch, the buildings have no significance, they are not unique looking in anyway, it doesn't visually look dense at all, and if you take the arch out of STL, well i'd say Des Moines has a much better looking skyline...

that is all STL can rely on, so no im not joking. Your downtown is small, dead the majority of times, and your skyline is recognizable cuz of an arch.... woopty doo...

10/10 people can recognize Hitler over pictures of Darwin, doesn't make Hitler the better person....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City