Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2010, 11:26 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,087,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
New York is a great city. In about 20 square miles, one can see the power, glory and wealth and extravagence of the United States.

Is it my favorite city? No not really. That distinction lies with London. Is it my favorite American city? Not really either, that distinction lies with Boston-just like a good New Englander. Does it mean I hate it? No of course not.

My problem with New York lies with its self-appointed supremacy. New York wasn't even the most important city in the Americas until at least the Erie Canal opened in the 1830s. Prior to then, Boston and Philly dominated, commerce, trade, economy, and politcs. The achievements of many American cities go unnoticed because New York is just big. That at least throught the 19th century, the northeast cities and Chicago were the supremacy of the US, not jst New York. I was watching America the Story of Us last night, and it was about the 19th century progress of the US post Civil War, and they only mentioned one city in any detail-New York. I mean, we get it, of course New York is super important, but they would have you think it was the only city and settlement in America.
i watched that last night too. Am saying though. If it was england they would talk about the rise of london;japan would be tokyo. New york has been caput mundi ever since it overtook london as the premier city in the twenties. New york's rise is more in concert with americas than any other city. It makes the most sense to talk about it.

And if i remember correctly La was heavily mentioned last night aswell

Old 05-17-2010, 11:44 AM

2,106 posts, read 6,628,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynlove View Post
Eh, I think it's a little more like a student who gets A's, but everyone else thinks he gets D's. I've generally found that New Yorkers defend New York to people who slam it, and then get accused of being an obnoxious New Yorker.
I really hope you're kidding. That's the problem with NYers. They are so egotistical and defensive.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:46 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,031,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
...The sheer intensity and magnitude of NYC that has no equal in any other U.S. city. The wow factor is just beyond compare.
Wow, a whole town full of self-absorbed, addleheaded, ignorant people. That must be quite a place indeed.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:54 AM

2,106 posts, read 6,628,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
One of the best city in the world? NYC is the best city of the world.

News Headlines

Yeah I am proud of NYC. NYC is the best city of the world When I tell that I am from NYC people are amazed and are left with open jaws. They say "wow I want to visit NYC." Nothing compares to NYC.

I live in Va Beach, VA and it is near Norfolk, VA. So I can say this, there is nothing to be proud of VA, because VA does not have anything to be proud of, VA do not even have a team of their own.
This is why people don't like NYers. Simple as that. I love the city, lived there for an extended period of time and have relatives there.. but it's people like you that make the city look bad with your smug attitude and ridiculous hypocrisy.

NYC is NOT the center of the universe. You are NOT more cultured. You are NOT smarter. You are NOT some better type of human being for being from there. Travel to 40+ countries are experience the REAL life of how most citizens of this planet live and tell me if you think NYC is the greatest place ever. Through all my travels, not once have I compared Ko Tao, Prague, or Easter Island to NYC. Why? Because there is no room for comparison. They are all special and unique in their own way, and the best part? Most people outside of NYC don't claim their city is the best, they simply tell you about their culture and lifestyle and leave it at that.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:03 PM

59 posts, read 99,872 times
I LOVE the city itself, stunning architecture, best restaurants, best shopping, best museums best everything yadayada

but NYers can be too smug, arrogant and snooty. You walk around many places in the city and feel as if you don't belong.

And funny, I was just reading this article on ESPN about Lebron James and his possibility to go to the Knicks which in one sentence highlighted this elitism we're talking about..

"I would love it be 100 percent, but in all honesty, it's probably closer to 25 percent," said Andrew, a 23-year-old investment banker from Manhattan who declined to give his last name. "If he's smart he comes here and if he's dumb he stays in Cleveland or some stupid place like that. Financially, if he really wants to do big things, he's going to have to come here."

New York Knicks fans are ready for LeBron James to come to the City - ESPN New York

Typical NYer.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:07 PM

269 posts, read 468,778 times
Proud? Not the right word.

Envious? Absolutely not. I can't think of anything that NYC would offer me that my own city does not. I can think of 1,000 things that it can't offer me that my city does, however!

Old 05-17-2010, 12:08 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,061,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWest View Post
I LOVE the city itself, stunning architecture, best restaurants, best shopping, best museums best everything yadayada

but NYers can be too smug, arrogant and snooty. You walk around many places in the city and feel as if you don't belong.

And funny, I was just reading this article on ESPN about Lebron James and his possibility to go to the Knicks which in one sentence highlighted this elitism we're talking about..

"I would love it be 100 percent, but in all honesty, it's probably closer to 25 percent," said Andrew, a 23-year-old investment banker from Manhattan who declined to give his last name. "If he's smart he comes here and if he's dumb he stays in Cleveland or some stupid place like that. Financially, if he really wants to do big things, he's going to have to come here."

New York Knicks fans are ready for LeBron James to come to the City - ESPN New York

Typical NYer.

I wonder why he declined to give his last name.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:18 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,307,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWest View Post

Typical NYer.

wow!. Lebrons not going anywhere.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:21 PM

364 posts, read 717,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
wow!. Lebrons not going anywhere.

No way in h*ll LeBron stays in Cleveland.......dont know where he will end up but he will not be in a Cavs jersey next year...

Old 05-17-2010, 12:23 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,317,475 times
I dunno. I guess I'm more proud of the fact that us ignorant, backwards Southerners know the difference between our and are...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.