Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is more diverse?
San Francisco Bay Area 52 40.31%
Tri-State Area 77 59.69%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 12:45 AM

3,717 posts, read 8,184,507 times

Advertisements

The only thing the Bay Area might have over the Tri-State area is more Pacific Islanders, but besides them Tri-State can match anything that the Bay Area has and then some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 01:05 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
The only thing the Bay Area might have over the Tri-State area is more Pacific Islanders, but besides them Tri-State can match anything that the Bay Area has and then some.
Actually we know the Bay Area has a higher proportion of foreign language speakers than NY, we know that the Bay Area has a higher proportion of foreign born residents than NY, we know that the Bay Area has greater racial diversity than NY and we know that the Bay Area's diversity is also more spread out throughout the entire region than NY.

That is all substantiated by the US Census Bureau.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:14 AM

3,717 posts, read 8,184,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Actually we know the Bay Area has a higher proportion of foreign language speakers than NY, we know that the Bay Area has a higher proportion of foreign born residents than NY, we know that the Bay Area has greater racial diversity than NY and we know that the Bay Area's diversity is also more spread out throughout the entire region than NY.

That is all substantiated by the US Census Bureau.
Its weird that your saying all this seeing as your from New York but its cool I guess your just trying to keep things even.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:22 AM

4 posts, read 3,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
Its weird that your saying all this seeing as your from New York but its cool I guess your just trying to keep things even.
I'm pretty sure that poster is actually from the Bay Area and is a transplant.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:45 AM

You 2 are new here...just noticed that. Yes Ive been living in NYC for a few months now...moved to NYC from Brazil by way of The Bay Area.(Most of the more seasoned forumers here know that Im a huge Bay Area homer-no harm intended tho)

I love living in New York-its amazing. This is the 3rd time Ive lived in NYC and it has never failed to impress me over and over again. Although I've been thinking of moving to a house over to a house in Alpine, NJ that I looked at a few days ago-been staying at my Mother-in-Law's townhouse and its cool(Mainly cause she's at home in Brazil-hahaha) but I've been feeling claustrophobic...sometimes I like grass and trees and a pool.

I would definitely say that NYC is more diverse than SF City. SF is no slouch but NYC is over 10 times as big and seems that many times as diverse too. I spend lots of time in Queens cause I have relatives there and am sooo impressed by the various areas and ethnic enclaves-very cool.

But this thread is about the entire Tri-State Area vs the SF Bay Area. And that is not the same as a mere city vs city comparison.

Like I stated earlier, NYC proper accounts for the majority of the regional foreign born, the majority of the regional asian, black and hispanic populations.

The Bay Area on the other hand is the opposite. The combined cities of SF, SJ and Oakland still have WAY LESS foreign born, asian, black and hispanic people. They are way more spread out around the Bay.

In any event, we are talking about 2 incredibly desirable regions that any fool would be lucky to call home.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:46 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,752,817 times
Quote:
You 2 are new here...just noticed that. Yes Ive been living in NYC for a few months now...moved to NYC from Brazil by way of The Bay Area.(Most of the more seasoned forumers here know that Im a huge Bay Area homer-no harm intended tho)

I love living in New York-its amazing. This is the 3rd time Ive lived in NYC and it has never failed to impress me over and over again. Although I've been thinking of moving to a house over to a house in Alpine, NJ that I looked at a few days ago-been staying at my Mother-in-Law's townhouse and its cool(Mainly cause she's at home in Brazil-hahaha) but I've been feeling claustrophobic...sometimes I like grass and trees and a pool.

I would definitely say that NYC is more diverse than SF City. SF is no slouch but NYC is over 10 times as big and seems that many times as diverse too. I spend lots of time in Queens cause I have relatives there and am sooo impressed by the various areas and ethnic enclaves-very cool.

But this thread is about the entire Tri-State Area vs the SF Bay Area. And that is not the same as a mere city vs city comparison.

Like I stated earlier, NYC proper accounts for the majority of the regional foreign born, the majority of the regional asian, black and hispanic populations.

The Bay Area on the other hand is the opposite. The combined cities of SF, SJ and Oakland still have WAY LESS foreign born, asian, black and hispanic people. They are way more spread out around the Bay.

In any event, we are talking about 2 incredibly desirable regions that any fool would be lucky to call home.
^This

Old 05-19-2010, 08:47 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,732,677 times
we need some jersey ppl to chime in.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:57 AM

County Foreign Born Populations, 2008

New York Combined Statistical Area
Hudson, NJ 40.2%
New York City, NY 36.4%
Bergen, NJ 29.5%
Union, NJ 28.8%
Middlesex, NJ 28.2%
Westchester, NY 24.5%
Passaic, NJ 23.4%
Essex, NJ 22.8%
Somerset, NJ 21.7%
Fairfield, CT 20.8%
Nassau, NY 20.8%
Rockland, NY 20.6%
Mercer, NJ 19.3%
Morris, NJ 19.0%
Suffolk, NY 14.1%
Monmouth, NJ 13.5%
Orange, NY 11.4%
New Haven, CT 11.0%
Dutchess, NY 10.9%
Putnam, NY 9.6%
Ocean, NJ 7.9%
Hunterdon, NJ 8.4%
Sussex, NJ 7.2%
Ulster, NY 6.2%
Litchfield, CT 5.5%

San Francisco Bay Area Combined Statistical Area
Santa Clara, CA 36.8%
San Francisco, CA 35.0%
San Mateo, CA 34.2%
Alameda, CA 29.7%
Contra Costa, CA 24.1%
Napa, CA 23.6%
Solano, CA 19.9%
Santa Cruz, CA 18.7%
Marin, CA 18.0%
Sonoma, CA 17.0%

Old 05-19-2010, 09:01 AM

27,557 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Well, I think the 2 regions are overall very different from one another. It doesn't seem that many folks would prefer to live in both equally. Rather, they'd likely choose one over the other.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:06 AM

43 posts, read 81,850 times
Montclair what do you do that allows you to live this extravagant lifestyle always living somewhere new? dude let me know i wanna be like you..can i work for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City