Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more unique?
New Orleans 32 65.31%
Miami 17 34.69%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 04:19 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Three of those things you listed are easily found in San Antonio.

NO by a long shot.
I wouldn't say by a long shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 04:21 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
NO has no similarities. Miami and South Florida has STRONG similarities Los Angeles. So NO wins this one.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:51 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,691,140 times
Both very unique cities but NOLA wins.

Just a random question though, has NOLA's culture died down at all due to hurricane katrina and the fact that so much of it's population fled to other cities? Or is it still as vibrant as ever?

Old 05-17-2010, 05:48 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post

Just a random question though, has NOLA's culture died down at all due to hurricane katrina and the fact that so much of it's population fled to other cities? Or is it still as vibrant as ever?
Only about 350,000 out of 1.3 million were displaced and most of those have come back so not really. The cultures are more rearranged and spread throughout the metro post-K, but they're still as strong.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:55 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,401,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post

That’s a great question. I lived in Baton Rouge LA from 2001-2003 and made frequent visits to New Orleans (probably more than BR); and I love it! Pre-Katrina New Orleans is definitely a different place than the New Orleans of today. With that being said, the more commercialized areas (French Quarter, Garden District, Esplanade etc.) remain virtually unchanged since the Hurricane so to answer your question I don’t think there’s an overt difference that’s evident to the average tourist but residents definitely know what's there and what's not.

I on the other hand spent a lot more time in New Orleans East (9th ward) so a lot of my favorite spots are no longer there *tears in eyes* like the Daiquiri Café on Crowder which was always “wall to wall” on Sunday’s- ahhhhh those were the days! On the other hand, Miami is in my opinion the only other city in the country with as much individuality as New Orleans. Between the two of them, I would have to go with New Orleans…more flavor in my opinion.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:16 AM

49 posts, read 105,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
NOLA, don't forget that it's got a lot of Creole influence, French and Spanish have both claimed it before. Creole is a language, mixture of French and Spanish. It's also a type of food, and culture. The English also had NOLA at one point.

Miami, well, we're no strangers to the Latin American influence there, it speaks for itself.
New Orleans hands down. I love both cities and I always say if new orleans drowns im moving to miami. Here are the differences that make New Orleans more unique. Miami has the Latin and Haitian cultures, but it is not its own. Where as New Orleans fused into its own type of culture that is nowhere else in the world. You had the French, Hatian, Spanish, African, and English cultures merge together into their own mixed traditions here. Basically New Orleans has a carribean type culture but it is its own. We have as much culture in this city as in entire small countries. From Second Line parades every sunday, to Jazz Funerals, to Mardi Gras Indian music and costuming we are filled with our own vibrant culture that only happened here. We have our own music that is African in nature then we have the mix of the European and African. The food is our own. It isn't some imported food it is New Orleans creole food. People speak with a patois here which is english but is influenced by the french and african mix. We have our own carnival. Not imported carnival traditions from the islands. Ours is our own style of celebrating it like Trinidad has their own style and Brazil has their own. We have some things in common with miami when it comes to similar climates even though miami has a little warmer wenters and our summers are hotter. Both cities grow tropical plants even though miami grows a larger variety of tropical plants. Our archetecture is Greek Revival like Savannah on St Charles St, Old spanish in the french qaurter, and Shotgun and creole cottges in the residential areas. So you have a merge of archetecture of old south meets old Carribean. Miami does have art deco which is very unique to it. The thing that makes New Orleans in the end most unique is we have our own culture that evolved into a gumbo where as miami as many culture living in it but you can find that in NYC, Houston, L.A, and so fourth.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:54 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Both Miami and New Orleans get creditied as being unique cities for their region, for having unique characteristics, food, and people.

NOLA can feel more southern but it has a vibe of it's own.

Miami, many would claim feels more like a city in a Caribbean country, than a American city.

Which is more unique for the south, and why?

Talk about;

- History
- Diversity (Food)
- Diversity (Culture)
- Anything else that you can think of
These two cities are more than unique for the South...they are pretty much unique for the entire U.S. I don't think they could easily fit into ANY U.S. region.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:00 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,401,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOrleanstopics View Post
New Orleans hands down. I love both cities and I always say if new orleans drowns im moving to miami. Here are the differences that make New Orleans more unique. Miami has the Latin and Haitian cultures, but it is not its own. Where as New Orleans fused into its own type of culture that is nowhere else in the world. You had the French, Hatian, Spanish, African, and English cultures merge together into their own mixed traditions here. Basically New Orleans has a carribean type culture but it is its own. We have as much culture in this city as in entire small countries. From Second Line parades every sunday, to Jazz Funerals, to Mardi Gras Indian music and costuming we are filled with our own vibrant culture that only happened here. We have our own music that is African in nature then we have the mix of the European and African. The food is our own. It isn't some imported food it is New Orleans creole food. People speak with a patois here which is english but is influenced by the french and african mix. We have our own carnival. Not imported carnival traditions from the islands. Ours is our own style of celebrating it like Trinidad has their own style and Brazil has their own. We have some things in common with miami when it comes to similar climates even though miami has a little warmer wenters and our summers are hotter. Both cities grow tropical plants even though miami grows a larger variety of tropical plants. Our archetecture is Greek Revival like Savannah on St Charles St, Old spanish in the french qaurter, and Shotgun and creole cottges in the residential areas. So you have a merge of archetecture of old south meets old Carribean. Miami does have art deco which is very unique to it. The thing that makes New Orleans in the end most unique is we have our own culture that evolved into a gumbo where as miami as many culture living in it but you can find that in NYC, Houston, L.A, and so fourth.
That was a great read. Miami and New Orleans are two of my favorite places to visit. I'd rather visit Miami at the end of any day because of all the visible eye candy that you just won’t find in New Orleans but the people of New Orleans are SO much friendlier both in traffic and in person. New Orleans and Atlanta still have that laid back southern feel especially New Orleans whereas Miami truly feels more like an east coast city with a lot more hustle/bustle and a whole lot less patience! I experienced this first hand- just returning from Miami yesterday. I enjoy New Orleans because it’s just so laid back. You can just throw on some sweats and a tee shirt then go pretty much wherever you need to go without feeling awkward or out of place- add a scull cap and you’ll really blend in-lol. Atlanta is laid back as well, but certainly not as much as New Orleans. Miami is a whole different animal to me; it has way more of a fast paced east coast vibe to me. New Orleans gets my originality/individuality vote, but Miami wins in fabulosity. Sorry, I just added my own category…

Old 08-31-2013, 06:57 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,206,460 times
I'm going for New Orleans, but it's close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City