Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: 2nd Busiest Downtown?
Los Angeles 8 3.59%
Chicago 104 46.64%
Dallas 2 0.90%
Philadelphia 24 10.76%
Houston 5 2.24%
Miami 5 2.24%
DC 19 8.52%
Atlanta 3 1.35%
San Francisco 38 17.04%
Boston 11 4.93%
Seattle 4 1.79%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 06:44 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
All I know is, I've met and went to school with people from Philly, who will go on record saying Philly is one of the worst, and they moved to the Boston area, and find it quite better, in terms of city life and QoL. But that's second hand info.

But a word of advice, and you can ask the three people in my graduating class who hail from Philly, do not ever, ever say Philly is better than Boston-it's like writing a check you can't cash.

Yeah. Some Philadelphians unfortunately can be like that. There's actually an old expression that goes, "Philadelphia isn't as bad as Philadelphians say it is."

On the other hand, as someone who visits both Boston and Philadelphia on occasion, both cities have very strong and comparable urban cores. Overall, I will agree that the City of Boston city has a better QoL than the City of Philadelphia due to a greater proportion of very derelict outer neighborhoods (i.e., much of North & West Philadelphia).

However, Philadelphia is a pretty bipolar city in that the nice neighborhoods are VERY nice. Areas like Rittenhouse Square/Old City/Society Hill/Washington West are absolutely comparable to Back Bay and Beacon Hill in being among the top-notch urban neighborhoods in America. Yet the bad neighborhoods are also some of the most depressing you'll ever see. It's actually very tragic to see some areas in one of America's most storied cities fall into such disrepair, but that does not mean a high quality of urban life is unattainable in Philly.

If you ever do "really want to" visit the city, any person that has an appreciation for interesting and historic American urban spaces would not go away dissapointed.

Last edited by Duderino; 05-17-2010 at 07:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 07:37 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Yea, but that doesn't necessarily mean San Francisco is the more important financial center of the two. Boston is transnational, but it's also ranked "Broad & Deep"...the way I interpret the comparison of San Francisco & Boston is that SF reaches further around the globe, while Boston provides more comprehensive services to the areas which it covers.

Notice that Tokyo is in the Transnational: Broad & Deep category with Boston. I certainly wouldn't say San Francisco is the more important financial center of those two...
EXCELLENT observation.

I didnt catch that Boston was not only Transnational but also "Broad and Deep"(almost sounds risque-LOL)...thanks.

Still, to me that means that Boston is Broad and Deep Transnationally, but not globally-which is still very impressive and good enough to score higher than SF so kudos in that respect.

But I do think that the chart does provide greater clarity to the rankings.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:01 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,212,824 times
I would say:

Chicago
DC/San Fran
Philly/Boston

All of them are really pretty close though.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:34 AM

131 posts, read 145,441 times
Hands down Chicago!

YouTube - Chicago Traffic

YouTube - Chicago Downtown Street Walking

YouTube - Michigan Avenue the Magnificent Mile

YouTube - Chilling in Chicagooo ... (PART 2)

^ lol, The last video,Germans, funny accent but atleast they're cute.

2nd.Chicago
3rd. would be SF

Old 05-18-2010, 08:05 AM

Here's an other one, it's not as crowded and busy like the other vids,it's probably because its on the weekend.Usually it gets more crowded.

YouTube - Downtown Chicago #29

Old 05-18-2010, 08:39 AM

Even though Chicago is crowded and busy,you don't hear alot of car beeping at each other,it seems that people in Chicago have alot more respect for each other then NYers have for themselves and their city.In NY of the littlest reason they're beeping and in Chicago,yea sometimes there is alot of beeping and honking but its nowhere near the level of the rudeness of New York.That isn't a shot at New York, I just find it rude to get honked at for no reason.

Here are some more videos.

YouTube - Downtown Chicago #24

YouTube - Downtown Chicago #28

^ Lol, the guy sounds scared out of his mind.He's probably never seen tall buildings or ppl in his life before.

YouTube - Downtown Chicago #30

YouTube - Downtown Chicago #33

Old 05-21-2010, 11:58 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
You DID just base your opinion on DT DC on whether or not it has a department store downtown which is kind of weird considering that has absolutely nothing to do with how busy a downtown is.

BTW... It does. There's shopping around the Metro Center area. That's about it, but that's fine with me. Department stores aren't too popular in big cities anyway.
I wish you had seen DC when it did have big Department Stores Downtown. You would miss them too.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:09 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I wish you had seen DC when it did have big Department Stores Downtown. You would miss them too.
Downtown Shopping is the best.

I don't consider a Downtown to be great without great shopping.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:11 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Downtown Shopping is the best.

I don't consider a Downtown to be great without great shopping.
Ditto! It's part of the overall package for a truly well rounded Downtown.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:48 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,890,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynlove View Post
Kidphilly-- been to Atlanta? I was surprised myself, actually. It's quite busy -- certainly, it gets busier than Boston, but that may also be simply because it's bigger than Boston.
Atlanta is smaller than Boston except by MSA:

Atlanta Proper: 537,938
Atlanta MSA: 5,475,213
Atlanta CSA: 5,831,778

Boston Proper: 620,535
Boston MSA: 4,588,680
Boston CSA: 7,609,358

I've only been there once, and I liked it quite a bit. It definitely has a true claim to being a major and significant urban area. I did not see it as more crowded or fast paced than Boston, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City