Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 12:09 AM

285 posts, read 435,418 times

Advertisements

I will never forget that freaking day when W Bush came to LA to have a fundraiser somewhere on the Westside
It was announced they will close several FWY on-ramps on the 405 north because of his motorcade, the office were I worked at the time is located in Pacific Palisades and we were let go 3 hrs earlier, at 2 PM instead of 5 PM
I got home in the Pasadena area untill 8:30 PM!!! It was just a nightmare!!
Being stuck in traffic for 5 hours for a 20 mile stretch! the streets on the Westside literally became giant a parking lot!
And at the end when I got home and turn on the news they said that
the president had changed his plans, instead of moving on a mortocade he took a helicopter! It was just a day of madness.
Has anyone ever been stuck in traffic for 5 hours in NY for something like this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 12:12 AM

10,071 posts, read 9,841,047 times
what I've gathered from this thread:
NYC has good traffic
LA has bad traffic

lol I love how they try to flip something

Old 12-15-2011, 01:02 AM

230 posts, read 284,035 times
Rush hour around NYC can screw up traffic clear into Jersey and Connecticut. But from what I hear, L.A. is even worse, which is mind-boggling.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:06 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,241,609 times
Well the bigger the city the more the traffic. Horrible traffic is synonymous with big cities, not just big cities but gigantic cities which both LA and NY are. Throw in Chicago, DC, Atlanta, Houston, Miami, Dallas, Boston, Philly, and SF for worst traffic in the U.S. and you have the largest cities with the worst traffic IMO

Old 12-16-2011, 09:05 AM

21,516 posts, read 30,916,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFrom215 View Post
Rush hour around NYC can screw up traffic clear into Jersey and Connecticut. But from what I hear, L.A. is even worse, which is mind-boggling.
Drive 95 in Connecticut and you'll change your tune.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:13 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,526,994 times
According to objective studies, L.A. has by far the worst freeway congestion in the U.S.
2011 Congested Corridors Report and Appendices

Top 10 most congested corridors overall:

Los Angeles Harbor Fwy/CA-110 from I-10/Santa Monica Fwy to Stadium Way/Exit 24C
Los Angeles Harbor Fwy/I-110 from 111th Pl. to I-110/I-10/Santa Monica Fwy
Los Angeles San Diego Fwy/I-405 from I-105/Imperial Hwy. to Getty Center Dr.
New York Van Wyck Expy/I-678 from Belt Pkwy./Exit 1 to Main St./Exit 8
Los Angeles San Gabriel River Fwy/I-605 from Beverly Blvd. to Florence Ave.
Los Angeles Santa Monica Fwy/I-10 from CA-1/Lincoln Blvd./Exit 1B to Alameda St.
Los Angeles Santa Monica Fwy/I-10 from I-5/Golden State Fwy. to National Blvd.
San Francisco I-80 from (James Lick Fwy/Bay Brdg) US-101 to Treasure Island Rd.
San Francisco Grove Shafter Fwy/CA-24 from Saint Stephens Dr. to Caldecott Tunnel
Los Angeles I-110 from W Vernon Ave. to 51st St.

There are really bad stretches in NYC (in my experience getting from JFK to Manhattan is awful, as are most of the bridge/tunnel approaches to Manhattan), but for sheer breadth of freeway congestion L.A. has a very deserved reputation for being terrible.

And I don't think it's something any city wants to "win".

Old 12-16-2011, 01:17 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,698,601 times
NYC. It's not even close.

You can avoid traffic in LA and even when you hit it, traffic moves. NYC and the metro around it is brutal even if you do have options to driving.

You can drive all around LA and the suburbs with no problems for the most part. A car metro NYC is a huge anchor that will keep you from getting anything productive done.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:09 PM

3,263 posts, read 5,621,035 times
Not nearly as many people drive per capita in NY. The thing that makes NYC traffic so bad at times it that the city is a series of islands connected by bridges and tunnels, and so there are all these bottlenecks at the entrances and approaches to them that can really snarl up traffic all over. If it wasnt for this condition, I don't think traffic would be all that bad at all.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:13 PM

10,084 posts, read 15,763,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post

You can avoid traffic in LA and even when you hit it, traffic moves. NYC and the metro around it is brutal even if you do have options to driving.

You can drive all around LA and the suburbs with no problems for the most part. A car metro NYC is a huge anchor that will keep you from getting anything productive done.
What? You obviously have never commuted in LA. I thank the lord every day that I don't have to drive in this city. I think it is the worst thing about it, and yes, street traffic can be just as hellacious as the freeways.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:07 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,526,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post

It sounds like you have never driven in L.A. for any extended period of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City