Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 05:05 PM

829 posts, read 1,240,023 times

Advertisements

I think that the parallels between the Cincinnati-Columbus and Buffalo-Rochester regions are quite apt. I say this for a few reasons:

1) Cincinnati and Columbus are the largest metro areas* in Ohio after Cleveland (and are further [south]west than Cleveland), and Buffalo and Rochester are the largest metro areas in New York State after the New York City area (and are further [north]west than NYC). Although there's much less of a gap, of course, between Cincinnati-Columbus and Cleveland than between Buffalo-Rochester and NYC.

*Note that I mean metro areas, not just cities proper, in this whole discussion.

2) Columbus is slightly smaller than Cincinnati, and Rochester is slightly smaller than Buffalo. Although Cincinnati is more populous than Buffalo and Columbus, which in turn are more populous than Rochester.

3) Columbus is to the northeast of Cincinnati, and Rochester is to the east-northeast of Buffalo. Although Cincinnati and Columbus are farther apart (105 miles) than Buffalo and Rochester (65 miles).

4) Columbus is a "newer" and more white-collar city (and with better universities, most notably Ohio State, my graduate school alma mater, by the way) than Cincinnati, and Rochester is a "newer" and more white-collar city (and with better universities, like the University of Rochester and the Rochester Institute of Technology) than Buffalo.

5) Cincinnati is across the Ohio River from another state (but Columbus isn't, and is located entirely in Ohio), and Buffalo is across the Niagara River from not just another state but another country (but Rochester is just across a very wide lake from that other country and is thus for all purposes entirely in New York state).

To complete the analogy, Dayton and Syracuse could be analogous, despite Dayton being northeast of Cincinnati but west of Columbus (thus being kind of in between) and Syracuse being east of both Buffalo and Rochester, because they're smaller than the four aforementioned cities.

What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 06:43 PM

92,043 posts, read 122,212,769 times
Not bad. I think the only difference is that Dayton is in the same region as Cincinnati, while Syracuse is in a different region than Buffalo or Rochester.

Size of the metros in Ohio are bigger as well.

Besides, it seems reasonable.

What may surprise people is that I believe that Rochester has the highest educational attainment(those 25 and older with at least a Bachelor's degree) out of the areas mentioned.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:57 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,080,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Not bad. I think the only difference is that Dayton is in the same region as Cincinnati, while Syracuse is in a different region than Buffalo or Rochester.

Besides, it seems reasonable.

What may surprise people is that I believe that Rochester has the highest educational attainment(those 25 and older with at least a Bachelor's degree) out of the areas mentioned.
What do you attribute that to? Just curious what the underlying reason is behind that stat.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I meant to say in my original post that Dayton is bigger than Syracuse, though smaller than Rochester (never mind Cincinnati, Columbus, and Buffalo).

And I think that Columbus and Buffalo are about equal size, with Cincinnati being larger and Rochester being smaller.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:21 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,080,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yofie View Post
I meant to say in my original post that Dayton is bigger than Syracuse, though smaller than Rochester (never mind Cincinnati, Columbus, and Buffalo).

And I think that Columbus and Buffalo are about equal size, with Cincinnati being larger and Rochester being smaller.
Going by MSA's

Cincinnati- 2,157,719
Columbus-2,021,632
Buffalo-1,135,509
Rochester- 1,081,954
Dayton-800,909
Syracuse-660,458

Old 12-14-2016, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
Going by MSA's

Cincinnati- 2,157,719
Columbus-2,021,632
Buffalo-1,135,509
Rochester- 1,081,954
Dayton-800,909
Syracuse-660,458
Regarding Columbus vs. Buffalo, the Columbus MSA comprises as many as 10 counties in Central Ohio, whereas the Buffalo MSA basically just comprises two counties. If we are talking just about urbanized areas and not the entire MSA, then Columbus and Buffalo stand about equal, as the population of Franklin County (where Columbus is) is over 1.2 million, while the combined population of Erie County (where Buffalo is) and Niagara County right to the north - the entire Buffalo MSA - is over 1.1 million.

(Franklin County takes up by far most of the Columbus urbanized area, with Delaware County right to the north occupying the rest. The Buffalo urbanized area is located in the first place in Erie County, and in the second place in the southern portion of Niagara County to a significant degree.)

Old 12-14-2016, 08:28 PM

3,551 posts, read 3,018,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
What do you attribute that to? Just curious what the underlying reason is behind that stat.
Columbus currently has the highest bachelor's rate among these cities. Overall, the numbers are fairly close among all of the cities, though NY has both more associates and post-graduates than Ohio.

Percentage of residents (>25) with at least an associate/bachelors/post-graduate degree, by metro area:

Buffalo, N.Y. - 45.99%/29%/12.9%
Rochester, N.Y. - 47.76%/31.7%/13.5%

Cincinnati, Ohio - 41.38%/29.6%/10.9%
Columbus, Ohio - 43.53%/32.9%/11.7%

https://www.luminafoundation.org/fil...-2016-Full.pdf

Which Metro Areas Have the Most Graduate Degrees?

Old 12-14-2016, 08:44 PM

92,043 posts, read 122,212,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Columbus currently has the highest bachelor's rate among these cities. Overall, the numbers are fairly close among all of the cities, though NY has both more associates and post-graduates than Ohio.

Percentage of residents (>25) with at least an associate/bachelors/post-graduate degree, by metro area:

Buffalo, N.Y. - 45.99%/29%/12.9%
Rochester, N.Y. - 47.76%/31.7%/13.5%

Cincinnati, Ohio - 41.38%/29.6%/10.9%
Columbus, Ohio - 43.53%/32.9%/11.7%

https://www.luminafoundation.org/fil...-2016-Full.pdf

Which Metro Areas Have the Most Graduate Degrees?
Thanks for the updated info. This is an older source that I was familiar with: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...tro-areas.html

Buckeye, Rochester is actually more white collar than people realize and companies such as Kodak, Xerox and Bausch and Lomb are still in the area. When these companies downsized, much of the talent in the area started smaller companies in the area. Contrary to what people may think, it has never had a population loss as a metro in an official census either.

Old 12-15-2016, 03:09 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,993,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yofie View Post
Cincinnati and Columbus are the largest metro areas* in Ohio after Cleveland...

*Note that I mean metro areas, not just cities proper, in this whole discussion.
Cleveland isn't Ohio largest MSA...
* Cincinnati - 2,157,719
* Cleveland - 2, 060,810
* Columbus - 2, 021,632

Old 12-15-2016, 06:19 AM

319 posts, read 393,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Cleveland isn't Ohio largest MSA...
* Cincinnati - 2,157,719
* Cleveland - 2, 060,810
* Columbus - 2, 021,632
Yofie was obviously referring to CSA population. And remember, "metropolitan statistical area" and "metropolitan area" aren't necessarily the same thing. For example, one could make a very good argument that Ft Erie, ON (across the river from Buffalo) is part of Buffalo's metropolitan area, but it's not a part of Buffalo's MSA primarily because it's in another country.

Anyone familiar with NE Ohio knows that Cleveland's metropolitan area far exceeds the MSA boundaries. There are other examples of this throughout the country. So let's not conflate MSA's with metropolitan areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City