Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2011, 04:23 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
I understand that Atlanta is naturally a very lush and tree filled place. But I'm actually less interested in that, more interested in the city that has the most trees within it's developed core.

The area may be near a dangerous neighborhood... but that doesn't necessarily make it "inner city". There were no homes or buildings on that road. It was just trees. That is not an urban environment.

The second picture you posted again shows an impressive tree canopy... but if you call that "urban" than are definitions of that word are vastly different. Those houses have driveways, front yards, doesn't exactly strike me as urban.
That's the thing there is no separatism with that in Atlanta, If you never seen so many tall trees in such small home lots? come to Atlanta trees dominate point blank. Atlanta core outside of Downtown, Midtown, Buckhead CBD, the intown or inner city neighborhoods is just green as well.

First New Orleans
New orleans - Google Maps

Now back to Atlanta, notice how small the yards are, Homes can be on the street most of intown is still green.

Atlanta core
atlanta - Google Maps

Atlanta - Google Maps

Many Atlanta core neighborhoods home lots are just as small as New Oeleans, Most people would call New Orleans generally urban enough. The difference Atlanta's trees, Atlanta intown is like a giant New Orleans garden distinct.

Also, this is why skyscrapers appear as if they coming randomly out a forest.
Atlanta - Google Maps

Near? heck I put in dangerous neighborhoods, again trees!!!!

Atlanta - Google Maps

Atlanta - Google Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 06:53 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,338,208 times
Quote:
I understand that Atlanta is naturally a very lush and tree filled place. But I'm actually less interested in that, more interested in the city that has the most trees within it's developed core.

The area may be near a dangerous neighborhood... but that doesn't necessarily make it "inner city". There were no homes or buildings on that road. It was just trees. That is not an urban environment.

The second picture you posted again shows an impressive tree canopy... but if you call that "urban" than are definitions of that word are vastly different. Those houses have driveways, front yards, doesn't exactly strike me as urban.
That's Atlanta, though. It's not building after building like in the northeast. You have a lot of single family homes down here. That's actually a pretty walkable part of town, believe it or not.

So let's not nitpick. I guess you're looking for trees in a downtown setting? Well, Atlanta's got that covered to. There's really no way around the fact that Atlanta is quite possibly the greenest major city in the nation.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:19 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,604,439 times
Quote:
Many people list Midwestern cities built on grassland.
Actually, much of the Midwest was not originally grassland. It actually was forested originally, but then cleared for farming. So, even though it seems wide open and treeless sometimes, trees grow very well here naturally. Hence the claims of lots of trees in midwestern cities.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:50 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,018,765 times
What about Pittsburgh, there is toons of trees there.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:19 AM

2,471 posts, read 4,018,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
That's the thing there is no separatism with that in Atlanta, If you never seen so many tall trees in such small home lots? come to Atlanta trees dominate point blank. Atlanta core outside of Downtown, Midtown, Buckhead CBD, the intown or inner city neighborhoods is just green as well.

First New Orleans

Now back to Atlanta, notice how small the yards are, Homes can be on the street most of intown is still green.

Atlanta core
atlanta - Google Maps

Atlanta - Google Maps

Many Atlanta core neighborhoods home lots are just as small as New Oeleans, Most people would call New Orleans generally urban enough. The difference Atlanta's trees, Atlanta intown is like a giant New Orleans garden distinct.

Also, this is why skyscrapers appear as if they coming randomly out a forest.
Atlanta - Google Maps

Near? heck I put in dangerous neighborhoods, again trees!!!!

Atlanta - Google Maps

Atlanta - Google Maps
Atlanta may very well be the city with the most trees, but if these are the pictures you're showing...they're just not impressive to me. I mean those neighborhoods don't look much more tree covered than suburban new york or philadelphia, which is probably roughly as dense the areas being shown here.

I mean here's a few from right outside philadelphia, honestly some of them look to be more densely tree covered than the pictures you're showing me of Atlanta:

Google Maps

Google Maps

Google Maps

Google Maps

So again, Atlanta may in fact be number one here, but so far the pictures I've seen just don't support that. All they show is that when a lot of land is left open and undeveloped, lots of trees grow in that land... which honestly, i mean kind of a given. The pictures I've been shown so far don't seem to be any more densely filled with trees than other areas I've seen that have lawns and room to grow trees like that.

To me it's much more impressive to have a truly urban environment that is none the less covered by trees.

like here:

Google Maps

or here:

Google Maps

or here:
Google Maps

Old 09-13-2011, 11:56 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,894,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
What about Pittsburgh, there is toons of trees there.
True - I've always said Pittsburgh is about as "Pacific NW" Green as you're going to get in the East.

Last edited by Blackbeauty212; 09-13-2011 at 12:16 PM..

Old 09-13-2011, 12:03 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
Those are really nice pics of the Pitts

Old 09-13-2011, 12:17 PM

1,348 posts, read 2,857,849 times
I agree. Pittsburgh looks awesome. I want to visit now. Yes, I agree it is underrated.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:20 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,127 times
Quote:
Atlanta may very well be the city with the most trees, but if these are the pictures you're showing...they're just not impressive to me. I mean those neighborhoods don't look much more tree covered than suburban new york or philadelphia, which is probably roughly as dense the areas being shown here.

I mean here's a few from right outside philadelphia, honestly some of them look to be more densely tree covered than the pictures you're showing me of Atlanta:

Google Maps

Google Maps

Google Maps

Google Maps

So again, Atlanta may in fact be number one here, but so far the pictures I've seen just don't support that. All they show is that when a lot of land is left open and undeveloped, lots of trees grow in that land... which honestly, i mean kind of a given. The pictures I've been shown so far don't seem to be any more densely filled with trees than other areas I've seen that have lawns and room to grow trees like that.

To me it's much more impressive to have a truly urban environment that is none the less covered by trees.

like here:

Google Maps

or here:

Google Maps

or here:
Google Maps
Do you know home lots are? because you are so not pay attention. Most major US cities intowns are made with dense shoulder to shoulder homes, the South doesn't have many rowhouses, but instead densely shut gun houses. What I'm trying to point out even with little room to work with, In neighborhoods with more side walk then yard Atlanta still appear as if it's a dense forest And you fail for it.

There's was a reason why I posted New Orleans most people consider New orleans as pretty urban enough. Again

heck here's Chicago, look at home lots size

Chicago - Google Maps

Chicago - Google Maps

Chicago - Google Maps

Here's Detroit
Detroit - Google Maps

Detroit - Google Maps

Most American urban cores are made of Dense single homes on small lots

Again look a the home lot size. the same size as New Orleans in link and etc

atlanta - Google Maps

You posted this, look at how much yard this IS, look at how drive away this, Your Philly surburb link is that NOT like the Atlanta above, or any the link above. The home lot link in this Philly Surburb is not even close to how small the home lots in the link of Atlanta I posted. The link I posted about Atlanta the home were actually shoulder to shoulder. Your really not pay attention.

Your Philly suburb link
Google Maps

Again Atlanta. notice the shoulder to shoulder homes, A look of trees in Atlanta are taller than homes.
Atlanta - Google Maps

Old 09-13-2011, 02:22 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,338,208 times
Quote:

Google Maps

Google Maps

Google Maps

Google Maps

like here:

Google Maps

or here:

Google Maps

or here:
Google Maps
Well that's neither here nor there as the subject of this thread isn't about which cities have the most trees in an urban area, it's about which has the most trees period.

And no it is not just a "given" that its sprawled areas would be very green. The sheer amount of tree cover and height is truly incredible. You'd have to have actually been to Atlanta to know what everyone is talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City