Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which megapolis would come first?
Texas triangle 109 52.91%
Piedmont Atlantic 97 47.09%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 12:14 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
You guys must live in the NORTHERN ATL suburbs to get to Charlotte in only 3hrs. Either that, or you guys are going 75 the whole way on I-85.
Nope, I live in the city of Atlanta south of downtown. I also don't go into Charlotte, but bypass it on the new beltway (or whatever they call it).

You can go 75 mph most of the way since the speed limit is 70 mph...so you're right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Exactly. The Piedmont doesn't compare to the Texas Triangle economically.
The TT obviously has a higher GDP than the Piedmont, but it's irresponsible statements like this one that cause arguments. OF COURSE the two are comparable - we're comparing them, aren't we???

With limited knowledge of the TT, I would guess that it is a little larger and outperforms the Piedmont...but neither by a very wide margin.

Last edited by DeaconJ; 05-25-2010 at 12:34 PM..

Old 05-25-2010, 12:33 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,949,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
I’m looking at the same numbers and it don't compare. Nobody is dissing the Piedmont but with all respect it doesn't compete very well economically with the Texas triangle.
Especially when the Piedmont is larger in population, yet the Texas Triangle still has a considerably larger GDP.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:51 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
I’m looking at the same numbers and it don't compare. Nobody is dissing the Piedmont but with all respect it doesn't compete very well economically with the Texas triangle.
The Piedmont 711,435 maybe hold 780,000 doesn’t compare to the Texas Triangle 972,964? ) again yall talking like it’s a Piedmont 400,000 to the Triangle 900,000. The difference is 2/9 or the piedmont is 80% of The Texas Triangle GDP. The Texas Triangle GDP is larger but the Piedmont is comparable, you want to know what isn’t comparable? New York and Los Angeles GDP, that why I ask are we looking at the same thing? or are yall just being funny

Quote:
Especially when the Piedmont is larger in population, yet the Texas Triangle still has a considerably larger GDP.
Ok yall are basically boosting and exaggerating. This is the margin 8:10 GDP in 19:17 pop WOOOW what a gap there so incomparable.

Last edited by chiatldal; 05-25-2010 at 01:01 PM..

Old 05-25-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Ok yall are basically boosting and exaggerating. This is the margin 8:10 GDP in 19:17 pop WOOOW what a gap there so incomparable.
Proving even more than the TT is more of an economic power than the Piedmont. That's not saying the Piedmont isn't an economic power, just not as much as the Texas Triangle.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:26 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times
Quote:
Proving even more than the TT is more of an economic power than the Piedmont. That's not saying the Piedmont isn't an economic power, just not as much as the Texas Triangle.
"This is the margin 8:10 GDP in 19:17 pop WOOOW what a gap there so incomparable"

And I'm not saying the Piedmont is the same size and I said the TT is larger but they're comparable, it's not a blow out.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:36 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
Quote:
My dear Texas friend. You are giving Texas a sour taste in my mouth. You know how much I love Houston and how often I have defended it as well. On this one, you're making your making your homerism way to evident.

First, Texas Triangle has 2 global powers to PAMs 1. That gives Texas a GDP advantage of $500 plus Billion. Now, when you add the medium metros of both regions, that gap narrows to approximately $200 billion. So, the question is, how does PAM not compare to TT when it is closer to TT in terms of GDP with less global power houses? Especially considering the gap DFW and Houston have over Atlanta.

I think this speaks volumes about PAM. This area is a global megaregion with a city that is barely a global power.

Also, you have to keep in mind that the history of PAM economic output is cheap manufactoring labor. This explains why the GDP is lower because it has a higher but cheaper labor pool that is geared towards producing mass products due to mass labor. This is of course before globalization and cheaper labor became available abroad and now this has crippled many PAM cities. PAM is a mixture of thriving metros in Charlotte, Atlanta, and Raleigh-Durham, and struggling metros in the Triad, Hickory, and Upstate.

The other thing, which common sense will tell you, is the Texas Triangle is in one state, so that cohesion perhaps is easier to form versus PAM which is spread out over 5 states.

In conclusion, PAM is comparable to TT because it is close to its GDP with less global cities. The GDP is lower due to a transitioning PAM economy from cheap manufacturing to 21st century economies. Texas has a huge advantage in Houston and DFW; meaning it has a significant port, and inland port with railroads.

So the question is, how is PAM competeting with TT with less global cities and resources?

Old 05-25-2010, 01:58 PM

I really don't care how you feel about me adavi. I gave the Piedmont its props. It isn't some economic sham. It's an economic powerhouse within the US, just not as big as the TT. If you take offense to that, then that's you.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:

A few minutes ago you stated that the two "aren't even comparable"...now they are both economic powerhouses. Which is it?

It seems that to most people, the two are very comparable.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
A few minutes ago you stated that the two "aren't even comparable"...now they are both economic powerhouses. Which is it?

It seems that to most people, the two are very comparable.
Just because both of them are economic powerhouses does not make them comparable. Houston is an economic powerhouse and so is NYC...doesn't make them comparable. After seeing the cities that were left out of the list (that chiatldal added), the Piedmont is closer to the TT economically than I had thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City