Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which megapolis would come first?
Texas triangle 109 52.91%
Piedmont Atlantic 97 47.09%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 02:22 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
I really don't care how you feel about me adavi. I gave the Piedmont its props. It isn't some economic sham. It's an economic powerhouse within the US, just not as big as the TT. If you take offense to that, then that's you.
Re-read my post and think about some of our post in other threads. I clearly have had your back. Your statements in this thread have been more boosterish and less impartial.

That being said, TT is an enormous powerhouse and should be noted. The cohesion of that region is amazing, especially considering how Houston anchors the Gulf as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 02:42 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
I'm from TX, and to say the TT and PA are incomparable is ridiculous. I think the TT comes out on top, but I don't think the PA can't compare. It most definetley CAN compare it's self to the TT. It shouldn't be a blow-out.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:51 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Re-read my post and think about some of our post in other threads. I clearly have had your back. Your statements in this thread have been more boosterish and less impartial.

That being said, TT is an enormous powerhouse and should be noted. The cohesion of that region is amazing, especially considering how Houston anchors the Gulf as well.
Yeah, after re-reading a couple of my posts, I did get a little carried away.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:04 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Quote:
Just because both of them are economic powerhouses does not make them comparable. Houston is an economic powerhouse and so is NYC...doesn't make them comparable. After seeing the cities that were left out of the list (that chiatldal added), the Piedmont is closer to the TT economically than I had thought.
Great post! I just love it when someone can admit an oversight or that he has been enlightened. It's a very mature reaction, and one not commonly found on city-data.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:12 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
My dear Texas friend. You are giving Texas a sour taste in my mouth. You know how much I love Houston and how often I have defended it as well. On this one, you're making your making your homerism way to evident.

First, Texas Triangle has 2 global powers to PAMs 1. That gives Texas a GDP advantage of $500 plus Billion. Now, when you add the medium metros of both regions, that gap narrows to approximately $200 billion. So, the question is, how does PAM not compare to TT when it is closer to TT in terms of GDP with less global power houses? Especially considering the gap DFW and Houston have over Atlanta.

I think this speaks volumes about PAM. This area is a global megaregion with a city that is barely a global power.

Also, you have to keep in mind that the history of PAM economic output is cheap manufactoring labor. This explains why the GDP is lower because it has a higher but cheaper labor pool that is geared towards producing mass products due to mass labor. This is of course before globalization and cheaper labor became available abroad and now this has crippled many PAM cities. PAM is a mixture of thriving metros in Charlotte, Atlanta, and Raleigh-Durham, and struggling metros in the Triad, Hickory, and Upstate.

The other thing, which common sense will tell you, is the Texas Triangle is in one state, so that cohesion perhaps is easier to form versus PAM which is spread out over 5 states.

In conclusion, PAM is comparable to TT because it is close to its GDP with less global cities. The GDP is lower due to a transitioning PAM economy from cheap manufacturing to 21st century economies. Texas has a huge advantage in Houston and DFW; meaning it has a significant port, and inland port with railroads.

So the question is, how is PAM competeting with TT with less global cities and resources?
I won't say PAM can't compete with TT because it can. However, Houston and Dallas give TT the edge and on top of that, TT offers everything PAM offers and a little more.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:31 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,299,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I won't say PAM can't compete with TT because it can. However, Houston and Dallas give TT the edge and on top of that, TT offers everything PAM offers and a little more.
I'm not so sure. I think the only thing TT may have more and better of than PAM is upscale shopping. Outside of that I'm not convinced TT is that much ahead. I think its GDP is definitely ahead of PAM, but other than that, I don't see it. Can you name some things TT has that PAM may lack?

Old 05-26-2010, 01:41 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
Quote:
I'm not so sure. I think the only thing TT may have more and better of than PAM is upscale shopping. Outside of that I'm not convinced TT is that much ahead. I think its GDP is definitely ahead of PAM, but other than that, I don't see it. Can you name some things TT has that PAM may lack?
Besides a city with a port, I really can't name anything else.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:43 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Besides a city with a port, I really can't name anything else.
Strong energy industry? Continued growth and not a large slowdown like in the Piedmont? A stronger economy among its cities?

Old 05-26-2010, 01:46 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
Quote:
Strong energy industry? Continued growth and not a large slowdown like in the Piedmont? A stronger economy among its cities?
I didn't think about the growth or the companies that call the region home. Because PAM can talk about their media companies like CNN and a few others like The Weather Channel.

I was just thinking towards the line of immediate physical differences between the two.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:01 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Ports and Energy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City