U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2010, 09:14 PM

5,530 posts, read 9,802,922 times

Advertisements

If it means anything when I spent time working on Cabrini Green with some churches the local leaders there said that a large percentage of Chicago residents came from Mississippi and Louisiana, as opposed to MS, AR, AL. I don't know which is true, maybe all?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 09:34 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 3,705,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
If it means anything when I spent time working on Cabrini Green with some churches the local leaders there said that a large percentage of Chicago residents came from Mississippi and Louisiana, as opposed to MS, AR, AL. I don't know which is true, maybe all?
I mean I have a lot of family in Chicago...its basically like my second home. My family is origanlly from MS. half in Detroit other in Chicago. I think it may be both. I know people who came from the Great Migration were from MS, AR and AL and I've heard that later a lot of ppl from LA migrated to Chicago as well

Old 05-20-2010, 09:34 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,664,062 times
I'm from Memphis and I know so many people who are originally from Chicago, and almost everyone has relaitves there. It's mostly the black folks, but also a few white folks too.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:41 PM

3,375 posts, read 7,055,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
I think youre talking about black people. Yeah they dont sound the same. Detroiter actually pronounce their "r's". While chicago and cleveland dont lol. But yeah alot of chicagoans ( ESPECIALLY the older folks) sound country maybe a lil watered down.

For those that dont know just listen to kanye's earlier music or twista or bone thugs. And compare that to royce da 59 lol thats the only thing i can think of

LOL Every black person from another city or region say the same thing about Black Chicagoans. My family pronounced it with "caa". My family(at least on the maternal side) been living in Chicago/Cook County since the 50s, yet there is still a noticeable southern twang. My grandfather pronounce funeral "fuin". The southern twang among Black Chicagoans is definitely watered down since most of our families been up here for decades now. My sister's husbands is from Jackson, MS. When they come up to visit, we sound "proper" to them.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:28 PM

5,654 posts, read 13,617,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
Chicago, Detroit, and Cleveland (along with Milwaukee and Buffalo) all have a northern cities vowel shift accent that is typical of the Great Lakes region.

Northern cities vowel shift - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Inland Northern American English - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Having lived in Cleveland and now Chicago I can tell you the accents are similar, but there are some differences and I can tell them appart. I'm not even sure that I can explain how I can tell them apart, but I know it when I hear it. I think people from Cleveland talk faster and a bit sharper than people from Chicago for one thing.
I agree. I 'm from Rochester originally and was surprised when I moved to Milwaukee to hear many similarities in the accents (but also many differences). As for "y'all", that's a Southern thing, imported to Great Lakes cities by blacks and white Southerners who immigrated there over the past half century. You won't hear a Great Laker whose family goes back more than a couple generations say y'all.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:46 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,215,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
LOL Every black person from another city or region say the same thing about Black Chicagoans. My family pronounced it with "caa". My family(at least on the maternal side) been living in Chicago/Cook County since the 50s, yet there is still a noticeable southern twang. My grandfather pronounce funeral "fuin". The southern twang among Black Chicagoans is definitely watered down since most of our families been up here for decades now. My sister's husbands is from Jackson, MS. When they come up to visit, we sound "proper" to them.
So black Chicago = Boston? Interesting. I've never noticed that, only that most black Chicagoans (and Michiganders) don't have the standard Midwest accent. They sound southern to me, and some even use the southern slang (y'all, fixin' to, etc.)

There isn't much of an accent difference between races in Minnesota. Everyone just sounds "Minnesotan," unless they moved here from elsewhere. I'm guessing this is because MN didn't see many gains during the Great Migration, and MN just has less segregation than places like Chicago and Detroit. Am I right?

Old 05-20-2010, 11:26 PM

3,732 posts, read 6,903,144 times
I don't want to get into like...racial debates and whatnot, but I seriously think black people pass the southern accent on from generation to generation. Some more watered down than others, but like I said earlier, no matter what city you go to it seems like you run into a black person with some twang.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:49 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,215,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
I don't want to get into like...racial debates and whatnot, but I seriously think black people pass the southern accent on from generation to generation. Some more watered down than others, but like I said earlier, no matter what city you go to it seems like you run into a black person with some twang.
The accent is actually passed down in some cases. You usually see it in more segregated Northern cities (Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, etc.), where most blacks have Southern roots and have remained in segregated neighborhoods since arriving in the North. Blacks from suburban/non-segregated areas near those cities usually don't have the Southern twang.

Minneapolis, Seattle, Portland (OR), and Boston are pretty major exceptions to this rule. You can't really tell someone's ethnicity by their accent in those cities. If someone sounds southern in those areas - chances are they're actually from the South.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:53 PM

3,732 posts, read 6,903,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
The accent is actually passed down in some cases. You usually see it in more segregated Northern cities (Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, etc.), where most blacks have Southern roots and have remained in segregated neighborhoods since arriving in the North. Blacks from suburban/non-segregated areas near those cities usually don't have the Southern twang.

Minneapolis, Seattle, Portland (OR), and Boston are pretty major exceptions to this rule. You can't really tell someone's ethnicity by their accent in those cities. If someone sounds southern in those areas - chances are they're actually from the South.
Yeah, I know what you mean.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:49 AM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 3,705,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
I agree. I 'm from Rochester originally and was surprised when I moved to Milwaukee to hear many similarities in the accents (but also many differences). As for "y'all", that's a Southern thing, imported to Great Lakes cities by blacks and white Southerners who immigrated there over the past half century. You won't hear a Great Laker whose family goes back more than a couple generations say y'all.
well white people in MI tend to have a more flat accent than inner city Detroit and even some Metro blacks. We definitely say "yawll" though lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City