U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-21-2010, 02:55 AM
 
Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 3,706,629 times
Reputation: 646

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
So black Chicago = Boston? Interesting. I've never noticed that, only that most black Chicagoans (and Michiganders) don't have the standard Midwest accent. They sound southern to me, and some even use the southern slang (y'all, fixin' to, etc.)

There isn't much of an accent difference between races in Minnesota. Everyone just sounds "Minnesotan," unless they moved here from elsewhere. I'm guessing this is because MN didn't see many gains during the Great Migration, and MN just has less segregation than places like Chicago and Detroit. Am I right?
You may be right. Detroit people tend to say "finna" instead of "fixin" lol but I noticed that blacks from the south and midwest seem to talk so much faster than some other blacks. For example we say GA, FL, MS and even Chicago talk faster than Detroit but a couple of people I know from both the west coast and NY area always tell us to "slow down" or ask us to repeat stuff a million times lol I didn't think we talk that fast but I think it may also be that we don't pronounce every letter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-21-2010, 02:57 AM
 
Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 3,706,629 times
Reputation: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
I don't want to get into like...racial debates and whatnot, but I seriously think black people pass the southern accent on from generation to generation. Some more watered down than others, but like I said earlier, no matter what city you go to it seems like you run into a black person with some twang.
yes true. I know what you mean. I do think its more noticable amongst Southern blacks (of course) then midwestern coming in second. NY/eastcoast sound least southern to me and westcoast sound some-what country depending on where they come from
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2010, 02:59 AM
 
Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 3,706,629 times
Reputation: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
The accent is actually passed down in some cases. You usually see it in more segregated Northern cities (Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, etc.), where most blacks have Southern roots and have remained in segregated neighborhoods since arriving in the North. Blacks from suburban/non-segregated areas near those cities usually don't have the Southern twang.

Minneapolis, Seattle, Portland (OR), and Boston are pretty major exceptions to this rule. You can't really tell someone's ethnicity by their accent in those cities. If someone sounds southern in those areas - chances are they're actually from the South.
well some suburban blacks in southeast MI (Detroit area) sound no different than Detroit people. I actually can't tell the difference, except minor slang terms, between Detroit, Pontiac, Flint, Benton Harbor, Southfield etc we basically sound the same
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2010, 03:12 AM
 
Location: 602/520
2,441 posts, read 5,943,783 times
Reputation: 1815
I can hear distinctive differences between the way black Detroiters and Chicagoans talk, but no difference between white Detroiters and Chicagoans.

I think that black Detroiters speech tends to better match the speech patterns of white Detroiters than black Chicagoans match white Chicagoans.

For example, Judge Mathis has a strong Detroit accent that is laced with much of the same nasally tones that you would expect to hear from white Great Lakes residents. Words such as "mom, are, car" are prime examples of a couple of words that white and black Detroiters pronounce almost identically.

I think black Chicagoans, in many cases, have really held onto speech patterns from rural Alabama and Mississippi. There are many times where I hear a native black Chicagoan speak and think to myself that they could honestly be from Hattiesburg, MS. Some black Chicagoans have adopted a subtle Great Lakes speech pattern, such as Michelle Obama, but it is not nearly as strong as the accents of blacks in Milwaukee, Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo, Rochester, or Syracuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2010, 03:15 AM
 
Location: Cleveland bound with MPLS in the rear-view
5,530 posts, read 9,806,498 times
Reputation: 2365
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
So black Chicago = Boston? Interesting. I've never noticed that, only that most black Chicagoans (and Michiganders) don't have the standard Midwest accent. They sound southern to me, and some even use the southern slang (y'all, fixin' to, etc.)

There isn't much of an accent difference between races in Minnesota. Everyone just sounds "Minnesotan," unless they moved here from elsewhere. I'm guessing this is because MN didn't see many gains during the Great Migration, and MN just has less segregation than places like Chicago and Detroit. Am I right?
This isn't true at all in my experience, in fact, everyone I know here who is not white has an accent, and any black friends or acquaintences are no exception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2010, 04:21 AM
 
3,645 posts, read 8,668,689 times
Reputation: 1787
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
I can hear distinctive differences between the way black Detroiters and Chicagoans talk, but no difference between white Detroiters and Chicagoans.

I think that black Detroiters speech tends to better match the speech patterns of white Detroiters than black Chicagoans match white Chicagoans.

For example, Judge Mathis has a strong Detroit accent that is laced with much of the same nasally tones that you would expect to hear from white Great Lakes residents. Words such as "mom, are, car" are prime examples of a couple of words that white and black Detroiters pronounce almost identically.

I think black Chicagoans, in many cases, have really held onto speech patterns from rural Alabama and Mississippi. There are many times where I hear a native black Chicagoan speak and think to myself that they could honestly be from Hattiesburg, MS. Some black Chicagoans have adopted a subtle Great Lakes speech pattern, such as Michelle Obama, but it is not nearly as strong as the accents of blacks in Milwaukee, Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo, Rochester, or Syracuse.
So true. I was just gonna bring up Judge Mathis as an example but you beat me to it. He's the perfect example of a black person with a Midwestern accent. It's not rare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2010, 10:15 AM
 
Location: Southern Minnesota
5,990 posts, read 11,219,487 times
Reputation: 3200
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
well some suburban blacks in southeast MI (Detroit area) sound no different than Detroit people. I actually can't tell the difference, except minor slang terms, between Detroit, Pontiac, Flint, Benton Harbor, Southfield etc we basically sound the same
Ya, but what about (black) people from Novi, or Livonia or Portage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2010, 10:17 AM
 
Location: Southern Minnesota
5,990 posts, read 11,219,487 times
Reputation: 3200
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
This isn't true at all in my experience, in fact, everyone I know here who is not white has an accent, and any black friends or acquaintences are no exception.
Are you sure that they are actually from here, and not from away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2010, 12:49 PM
 
Location: Cleveland bound with MPLS in the rear-view
5,530 posts, read 9,806,498 times
Reputation: 2365
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Are you sure that they are actually from here, and not from away?
Well I went to grade school with them when I was young....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2010, 05:48 PM
 
169 posts, read 325,907 times
Reputation: 73
well im a black male from chicago and if u think we sound country then you couldn't have been to places like memphis,arkansas, mississippi,etc..

i got fam in memphis and we don't sound NUTHIN a like..like some one said before, we may have a mild southern twang or whatever, but you can find that all over the country..its cats out east in D.C and baltimore that sound country as hell..but i notice that blacks on the west coast tend to sound real proper..

my ex from LA and the onlything that stuck out for her as far as how i spoke was how i pronounced "car"..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top