U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 04:57 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 3,714,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
all black people sound the same to me - ebonics, ::shutters:::

"This is who we is"

and a lot of double negatives - "I don't want no ___" "I didn't mow no lawn"

first your post is ignorant or should I say "ignit" in sooo many ways. You do know slang and ebonics differ from city to city and by region???? "this is who we is" really? since when do blacks talk like that besides doing slavery???? Having an accent or speaking in ebonics does not =stupid smh. Now get off my thread with that bs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 05:31 PM

well here is what Detroiters usually sound like
*esp when she says comfortable (conf-table lol) I have no idea where it came from but plenty do say it like that. Some tend to say coupon like "kuu/Q pon" lol

YouTube - Jasmyn's Detroit accent

Old 05-23-2010, 10:12 PM

3,070 posts, read 10,508,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
The Chicago "blaccent" definitely retains a strong southern quality.

Perfect example:
On the other hand the Cleveland blaccent, like Detroit, manifests a strong midwestern tendency couched in the traditional black dialect. IMO, Detroit and Cleveland are barely distinguishable.

YouTube - Bizzy Bone XXL Interview
I grew up on Bone Thugs-n-Harmony (although I haven't really kept up with them in 9 years), and I don't think Bizzy Bone is a good example. Bizzy grew up mostly in Columbus until he was 12 I believe, and when they left Cleveland and got famous he was only 16-17. The other members are better examples as they all grew up in Cleveland from when they were born.

I looked for some interviews with the others talking and found these:
This is a Layzie Bone interview from 1-2 years ago, his mom and dad are also there:

YouTube - Layzie Speaks about Flesh
As you can see there's a noticeable difference.

And here's an interview with Krayzie Bone and Wish Bone from 1996:

YouTube - Krayzie Bone and Wish Bone on east 1999 and eazy
Again, a noticeable difference.

I'm looking for others. Steve Harvey is also from Cleveland (the same neighborhood as Bone Thugs) and he has a more southern accent. Halle Berry is from a suburb I believe and she does have a more northern nasally accent.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:39 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,487,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelieveInCleve View Post
I grew up on Bone Thugs-n-Harmony (although I haven't really kept up with them in 9 years), and I don't think Bizzy Bone is a good example. Bizzy grew up mostly in Columbus until he was 12 I believe, and when they left Cleveland and got famous he was only 16-17. The other members are better examples as they all grew up in Cleveland from when they were born.

I'm looking for others. Steve Harvey is also from Cleveland (the same neighborhood as Bone Thugs) and he has a more southern accent. Halle Berry is from a suburb I believe and she does have a more northern nasally accent.
Cleveland happens to be my hometown as well (East Cleveland to be exact). Bizzy's accent reminds me of how many of my cousins speak. I think all five respective manners of speaking represent slight variations on pretty much the same theme. Steve Harvey's southern accent probably has to do with the fact that he is actually a native of West Virginia.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:50 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,487,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
well here is what Detroiters usually sound like
*esp when she says comfortable (conf-table lol) I have no idea where it came from but plenty do say it like that. Some tend to say coupon like "kuu/Q pon" lol
Haha, I used to say "conftable" all the time. My mother still pronounces it that way. We're both Cleveland natives. I really think Detroit and Cleveland are much more similar to each other than either of them are to Chicago.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:16 AM

169 posts, read 326,616 times

YouTube - Bizzy Bone interview on new album, situation w/ Bone Thugs

i hope people from cleveland don't sound like this

Old 05-24-2010, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Haha, I used to say "conftable" all the time. My mother still pronounces it that way. We're both Cleveland natives. I really think Detroit and Cleveland are much more similar to each other than either of them are to Chicago.
lol I say it like that every now and then. Yea I'm guessing so because Layzie in the video above sound just like some people here

Old 05-25-2010, 03:12 PM

3,070 posts, read 10,508,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMEN VII View Post

YouTube - Bizzy Bone interview on new album, situation w/ Bone Thugs

i hope people from cleveland don't sound like this
No lol. I already explained this, Bizzy Bone lived in Columbus until he was 12 I believe, and only lived in Cleveland for around 4 years before they left to LA and got famous. Plus I don't know what's wrong with him in some of the new interviews but he's just acting weird and it seems like he's talking like that on purpose. I heard he went crazy lol.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:39 PM

3,732 posts, read 6,921,054 times
That makes sense that they moved to LA. For the longest time before I knew Bone Thugs were from Cleveland I always thought they were from Cali.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:09 PM

4 posts, read 5,044 times
clevelanders (?) sound kinda like easterners
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City