U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 10:27 PM

3,142 posts, read 3,629,197 times

Advertisements

Detroit's accent is harsher than Cleveland or Chicago, Chicago is the softest sounding, and Cleveland is like a mix between the two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 12:36 AM

4,801 posts, read 3,451,682 times
Chicago Blacks can sound more country than DC or Baltimore Blacks in many ways. They tend to have STRONG glide deletion (white becomes waht and like becomes lahk), and very non-rhotic (car becomes cah). In DC and Baltimore, Blacks pronounce their R's and don't have as much glide deletion to the degree the Deep South roots Blacks of Chicago do. However, Blacks in Chicago don't front their O or U sounds like the Baltimore and DC Blacks. So in some ways MD Blacks sound less country and in other ways they do. But, being from the most Southern of Southern states, the Mississippi ties Chicago Blacks have make them have some of the strongest Southern accents of any Northern city I've ever been to.

Detroit is a different story. Detroit Blacks sound Northern in my opinion and probably more Northern sounding of all Blacks in the US. Chicago Blacks joke how Detroit Blacks sound all proper. Can you find Blacks in Chicago with Northern Cities Vowels? Maybe. Never have met any myself. None that were native. All NCVS Black speakers I've met were from Detroit. For those who listen to V103, Doug Banks has Northern Cities Vowel Shift and he's certainly not trying to sound White as most of his audience is Black.

The Chicago Blaccent can range from full-on Deep South, non-rhotic, full glide deletion, to partial glide deletion, somewhat Midland sounding accent that could be from anywhere ala "General American". In DC and Baltimore it ranges from Upper Southern to the same "General American" sound that can't be traced. Neither city has Northern speaking Blacks. Not in large numbers. I've never met a Black Marylander who spoke Northern unless transplanted. Same in Chicago. The educated Blacks of Chicago speak General American/Midland and never adopt NCVS. I don't know why, but they don't. You want Northern sounding Blacks, go to NYC suburbs, Boston, New England, and Upstate New York near New England. Outside of the Northeast Coast, Detroit has many Northern speaking Blacks.

The West Coast also has many General American/Midland sounding Blacks. Maybe some Southernisms persist but not enough to trace the accent to anywhere. Point of this post is: Northern speaking Blacks exist but are present only in Northern cities (and not wannabe North like DC or Baltimore), but even in true Northern dialect territory, some Southern carryover is seen, even if light. Some Blacks exhibit NCVS but are not the rule of Northern cities by any means. Even in NYC, where Blacks can at times sound identical to Whites (due to less Southern heritage), partial glide deletion exists in words like "my" pronounced "mah" and "on" rhyming with "dawn" and not "don", like in the South. This is even seen in Cleveland Blacks, too.

Last edited by EddieOlSkool; 07-19-2015 at 12:56 AM..

Old 07-19-2015, 03:23 PM

1,422 posts, read 1,363,506 times
Dialects of Illinois | IDEA International Dialects of English Archive

Dialects of Michigan | IDEA International Dialects of English Archive

Ohio 1 | IDEA International Dialects of English Archive

Whites in Detroit speak in 4 different dialects. One is the nothern shift vowel, the second is a flat generic northern accent, the third has a slight Canadian rising, and the fourth one is located "down river" blue collar suburbs south of Detroit where they have a slight southern influence due to the Great Migration of people from the south who settled there. African American accent in Detroit is best exemplified by Melinda Brown Duncan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrH-TnmZEy8

Old 07-20-2015, 08:18 AM

186 posts, read 149,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
I don't want to get into like...racial debates and whatnot, but I seriously think black people pass the southern accent on from generation to generation. Some more watered down than others, but like I said earlier, no matter what city you go to it seems like you run into a black person with some twang.

There's no debate here, homie. To this day, a lot of black folks in the Chicago area are 1-2 generations, at most, removed from MS, AR, and other points due south. The HBCU's U of A - Pine Bluff, and the Mississippi schools Jackson State, Alcorn, and MS Valley State have MASSIVE alumni bases in Chicago. Plus many are now leaving Chicago for their roots in those areas.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:21 AM

1,699 posts, read 1,482,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
Whites in Detroit speak in 4 different dialects. One is the nothern shift vowel, the second is a flat generic northern accent, the third has a slight Canadian rising, and the fourth one is located "down river" blue collar suburbs south of Detroit where they have a slight southern influence due to the Great Migration of people from the south who settled there. African American accent in Detroit is best exemplified by Melinda Brown Duncan.
Blacks in the midwest generally have southern accents, this is not just true for Detroit. If you talk to most blacks in Detroit, you will find that their grandparents were originally from the south who came north for a better life. Ghettoization and non-assimilation has allowed them to preserve much of this accent.

But I don't know any native white Detroiters with a southern accent.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:35 AM

589 posts, read 584,261 times
i never thought i had an accent, but i recently met a lady from LA who said pop like pop, while i say pahp as do most people i know. same thing with shop.

Old 07-20-2015, 02:11 PM

1,422 posts, read 1,363,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Blacks in the midwest generally have southern accents, this is not just true for Detroit. If you talk to most blacks in Detroit, you will find that their grandparents were originally from the south who came north for a better life. Ghettoization and non-assimilation has allowed them to preserve much of this accent.

But I don't know any native white Detroiters with a southern accent.

Go to Ecorse, Taylor, River Rouge, Melvindale, and Allen Park. They speak in a different accent that people from Grosse Pointe or Bloomfield Hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City