U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: (Las Vegas NV) vs. (Pittsburgh PA)
Las Vegas, NV 34 36.17%
Pittsburgh, PA 60 63.83%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 06-02-2010, 02:25 AM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
11,687 posts, read 10,423,097 times
Reputation: 14122
Default Pittsburgh

PA is one of my favorite states and my wife is from Pittsburgh. Don't care for the desert feel of Vegas. It feels like an empty, hollow city full of bright lights but lacking substance.

Pittsburgh, easy.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-02-2010, 08:17 AM
 
515 posts, read 460,706 times
Reputation: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
The winner:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._city_pano.jpg

^^^ Pretty nice, huh? I thought so too.
Wow - amazing pano!

In this comparison, Pittsburgh is the winner as it is a more well-rounded, established city. However, I get tired of people calling the western desert a barren wasteland, because there really is quite a bit of beauty in it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2010, 08:45 AM
 
Location: Macao
12,442 posts, read 18,395,848 times
Reputation: 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
Wow - amazing pano!

In this comparison, Pittsburgh is the winner as it is a more well-rounded, established city. However, I get tired of people calling the western desert a barren wasteland, because there really is quite a bit of beauty in it.
I quite like Pittsburgh as well.

But, with Las Vegas...amazing scenery all around.

Red Rock Canyon, Mt. Charleston, Valley of Fire...all VERY close to Las Vegas city...than further out you have Death Valley, Grand Canyon, Zion National Park, etc.

I mean, to just dismiss all of that beauty...as many have been doing on this thread....I mean, wow.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2010, 09:19 AM
 
515 posts, read 460,706 times
Reputation: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I quite like Pittsburgh as well.

But, with Las Vegas...amazing scenery all around.

Red Rock Canyon, Mt. Charleston, Valley of Fire...all VERY close to Las Vegas city...than further out you have Death Valley, Grand Canyon, Zion National Park, etc.

I mean, to just dismiss all of that beauty...as many have been doing on this thread....I mean, wow.
So true - the desert is beautiful in its own way, and really quite unique.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2010, 09:46 AM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
3,806 posts, read 3,302,333 times
Reputation: 1767
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
So true - the desert is beautiful in its own way, and really quite unique.
It's not for a lot of people when they think of beauty though.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2010, 02:22 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX/Chicago, IL/Houston, TX/Washington, DC
10,180 posts, read 4,494,272 times
Reputation: 4047
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
So true - the desert is beautiful in its own way, and really quite unique.
Agreed, Tucson is my favorite city. And it's in the desert.

Hell, take it up a notch, I'm sure many people around the world can now say Dubai is their favorite city, and it's in the desert!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2010, 08:27 PM
Status: "Fall is in the air-too soon!" (set 25 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
68,591 posts, read 57,229,522 times
Reputation: 19412
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Do you realize the weather can consider a day cloudy even if there is some sunshine?
Here is the National Weather Service's defintions of cloud cover:

National Weather Service - Missoula MT

Term Cloud Cover
Cloudy 8/8
Mostly Cloudy 6/8 - 7/8
Partly Cloudy or
Partly Sunny 3/8 - 5/8
Mostly Clear or
Mostly Sunny 1/8 to 2/8
Clear or Sunny less than 1/8


Mod Note: This is a govt. website.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 04:24 AM
 
Location: In the heights
11,047 posts, read 9,350,482 times
Reputation: 4747
I choose Pittsburgh for many of the same reasons listed, but I have hope for Vegas. I want it to become a parody of the rest of the world with high kitsch running everywhere. No more of these bland "cosmopolitan, upscale, etc." themed crap. It's got to be specific themes taken to their extremes lining the strip everywhere. Even the low-rise off-strip shouldn't be immune. Every single neighborhood in Vegas needs to be a facade of somewhere else. It should all be mandatory.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2010, 08:13 AM
 
Location: Macao
12,442 posts, read 18,395,848 times
Reputation: 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I choose Pittsburgh for many of the same reasons listed, but I have hope for Vegas. I want it to become a parody of the rest of the world with high kitsch running everywhere. No more of these bland "cosmopolitan, upscale, etc." themed crap. It's got to be specific themes taken to their extremes lining the strip everywhere. Even the low-rise off-strip shouldn't be immune. Every single neighborhood in Vegas needs to be a facade of somewhere else. It should all be mandatory.
I have hope for Vegas as well!

I like both cities equally as much.

I am surprised though the love Pittsburgh is getting on this thread, and the almost no love that Las Vegas is getting!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2010, 01:26 AM
 
Location: Savannah GA
8,050 posts, read 5,862,906 times
Reputation: 4980
Las Vegas truly is one of the ugliest places on the face of the earth.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/ca/November_1951_nuclear_test_at_Nevada_Test_Site.jpg/250px-November_1951_nuclear_test_at_Nevada_Test_Site.jpg (broken link)

Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top