Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 07:45 PM

198 posts, read 261,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Charlotte should not even be mentioned. The downtown is such a small area. There is no density, aside from a few tall buildings, the skyline is nothing impressive in the manner it would need to be to be close to the level of Manhattan.
After viewing the pictures of NYC above, why not Charlotte, Charelston, or even Jacksonville. Nothing else in the country comes close to Manhattan.
And Manhattan is not NYC its just the CBD of NYC or maybe the entire nation.
Anyone who seriously makes a comparison of Midtown ATL, Bricknell Mami or uptown Charlotte to Manhattan evidently has never been to Manhattan.
But the OP statement is not asking for a compariosn of these areas to Manhattan but what area between these three southern locales would be Manhattan of the South based upon its urban vibe. I don't have a answer since it has been over ten years since I was in Miami and I am sure each area has its own vibe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 07:56 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crider View Post
After viewing the pictures of NYC above, why not Charlotte, Charelston, or even Jacksonville. Nothing else in the country comes close to Manhattan.
And Manhattan is not NYC its just the CBD of NYC or maybe the entire nation.
Anyone who seriously makes a comparison of Midtown ATL, Bricknell Mami or uptown Charlotte to Manhattan evidently has never been to Manhattan.
But the OP statement is not asking for a compariosn of these areas to Manhattan but what area between these three southern locales would be Manhattan of the South based upon its urban vibe. I don't have a answer since it has been over ten years since I was in Miami and I am sure each area has its own vibe.
Well it would be somewhere in NOLA which is the most urban city in the South.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:48 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Why does this thread always get revived around April/May for past 2-3yrs?

Old 06-03-2012, 05:42 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
what's a brickell?

is that like key biscayne?

Old 06-03-2012, 09:41 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Why is it hard for people to just simply read the question? lol
"Manhattan of the South" meaning what urban area in the south is the closest to resemble Manhattan.

My answer: Brickell
https://www.google.com/maps?q=Bricke...79.07,,0,-2.24

https://www.google.com/maps?q=Bricke...40.45,,0,-2.11

https://www.google.com/maps?q=Bricke...89.22,,0,-7.12

Old 06-04-2012, 11:20 PM

640 posts, read 1,225,843 times
Here's the thing. Manhattan is an entire county of 20 square miles. These places (Midtown ATL, Brickell, etc) are neighborhoods of small areas. I think the urban core of NOLA is probably the most similar (in terms of walkability, urbanity, and layout) to Manhattan. The urban core of NOLA (my own calculation consisting of the oldest, densest, most walkable neighborhoods) is 20 square miles also. The area follows a linear pattern similar to Manhattan with entire uptown and downtown directions of the city just like Manhattan. And honestly, the CBD of New Orleans itself looks the most similar to Manhattan than any of these places (especially those pics of Brickell above)

I know most people will disagree with me but I say this because NOLA is really the only city in the South that can be compared to any true urban city in the country even if it obviously doesn't have the same density as NYC.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:36 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
I hate to say it but these South vs. North threads simply are not fair, lmao. A few reasons:

1. The North and the Midwest ate the South's lunch in the industrial arena. Cities like St. Louis, which had potential, always lost out to cities like Chicago, there is one infamous example in which Chicago was able to leverage itself over St. Louis in ways that were unfair because of the advantages they had. The few truly industrial cities you find down South are minuscule in comparison to cities like New York that were once industrial, but have moved on into finance, biotechnology and information services.

2. In the South, the counties are often a lot larger so your metropolitan area is not just the city, it is the entire county. The South has counties that 400, 500, 800 square miles in area. It would take several trillion dollars to develop these areas out the same way that Manhattan is.

3. There are too many interesting neighborhoods in the South, entirely too far from each other to create that urban canyon effect. No one really cares about downtown in the South, regardless of the city. The up and coming neighborhood is usually some suburban place that at best, offers a mid-rise experience. So you may get something a lot closer to Brooklyn, or Queens, than you would Manhattan.

4. There will never be another Manhattan, not enough money, not enough time.

5. Southern cities are stuck on the infill; making exurbs out of the country, suburban areas out of rural areas and urban areas out of suburban areas. You simply do not have this problem in the North and the Midwest.

6. Money. Southern cities simply do not have the money, not enough residents to tax and a lot of the rich in the South still live out in the country somewhere.

7. The migration has not been to the city, but to the suburbs. In a lot of Southern cities the true growth has been in suburbia, not the city proper. Until some of these cities begin to grow into each other there will be no impetus for true urban development.

8. The people do not want it.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:55 AM

300 posts, read 524,570 times
I haven't read this whole thread, but what about New Orleans?

Honestly, I think this is the closest southern city to NYC. New Orleans has the narrow streets and the street-level fabric you see in NYC.

Places like Brickell or Midtown ATL don't feel anything like NYC, IMO. The only similarity is skyscrapers. But they feel totally different, and more like a dense suburbia, IMO. They're mostly auto-oriented, master planned, and have the wide streets and newer feel.

Honestly, Brickell has almost no pedestrians. It's basically gigantic towers on top of huge podiums for parking and pools/recreation. At street level, it couldn't feel more different from Manhattan. South Beach would be the closest Florida equivalent to NYC. There are no parking podiums in Manhattan.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:46 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Street View Post
I haven't read this whole thread, but what about New Orleans?

Honestly, I think this is the closest southern city to NYC. New Orleans has the narrow streets and the street-level fabric you see in NYC.

Places like Brickell or Midtown ATL don't feel anything like NYC, IMO. The only similarity is skyscrapers. But they feel totally different, and more like a dense suburbia, IMO. They're mostly auto-oriented, master planned, and have the wide streets and newer feel.

Honestly, Brickell has almost no pedestrians. It's basically gigantic towers on top of huge podiums for parking and pools/recreation. At street level, it couldn't feel more different from Manhattan. South Beach would be the closest Florida equivalent to NYC. There are no parking podiums in Manhattan.
Agreed. SouthBeach operates more like an urban neighborhood in Manhattan than anything in Miami proper.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:57 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Street View Post
While not impossible, it's not economically feasible to put parking underground in Miami. As for the pools and recreation associated with the condos] towers, well....that's because it's warm enough to use them all year long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City