Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 12:40 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
It doesn't seem that far at all. It reminds me of Dallas/Fort Worth, and Miami/Fort Lauderdale/West Palm Beach.
Yeah it's not, and the best part is, it's a very scenic drive. You see the coast it's beautiful with mountains and tree's everywhere. Very green, the valley is very nice.

You should definitely check it out man!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 12:41 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Yeah, both my cousins and their families moved from Chicago to the Bay Area this past decade. One of them moved there in 2001 with his wife and kids, and the other moved there 2007 with her husband and kids. And One works in Google (Mountain View) and the others works in Adobe (San Jose downtown- and once a week has to go to his San Francisco office in downtown SF) and basically the people who live in places like Mountainview, Palo Alto, Berkeley, from my experience they never have to really go to the city for anything besides airport or sports.
There's places for bars, entertainment, ethnic food, colleges and schools, big companies, shopping, clubs and all that. Like those people can get through their lives without having to go to any of the big 3 Bay Area cities of Oakland, San Jose, and San Francisco.

That's what I love most about the Bay Area, so much variety!!! It's insane, endless amount of things to do, and every city has something cool to do!!

With Atlanta it's a different story. It's the only principle city in it's metropolitan area, which means that suburbs have less power and less influence.

Bay Area is comparable to DFW, Miami/Fort Lauderdale, New York/Jersey City/Newark, Minneapolis/St. Paul.

Atlanta is more like Houston, Phoenix, Philadelphia, Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles.
I see what you mean. But I'd group LA with the former, because of Long Beach, Orange County, Riverside, San Bernardino, etc. I know people who live in SoFla who go almost a year without going to Miami. Fort Lauderdale and West Palm have there own International Airports and there own News Stations. I imagine that's EXACTLY how it is in The Bay.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:42 AM

3,717 posts, read 8,184,507 times
Man, I need to hit Cali up asap. I want to see what all the fuss is about lol.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I see what you mean. But I'd group LA with the former, because of Long Beach, Orange County, Riverside, San Bernardino, etc. I know people who live in SoFla who go almost a year without going to Miami. Fort Lauderdale and West Palm have there own International Airports and there own News Stations. I imagine that's EXACTLY how it is in The Bay.
That's true but LA has a huge influence on it's suburbs. Even Long Beach (which isn't a suburb). LA's massive size alone puts everything else in the shadows.

For the Bay Area, SF isn't even the largest city, SJ is and Oakland is large also and still growing. There's no clear cut winner. Same thing with DFW.

With Los Angeles it's the economic stronghold, the media stronghold, for most parts the sports stronghold (NBA, NCAA, etc.) and it's got Hollywood. It completely dominates it's CSA.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:49 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
That's true but LA has a huge influence on it's suburbs. Even Long Beach (which isn't a suburb). LA's massive size alone puts everything else in the shadows.

For the Bay Area, SF isn't even the largest city, SJ is and Oakland is large also and still growing. There's no clear cut winner. Same thing with DFW.

With Los Angeles it's the economic stronghold, the media stronghold, for most parts the sports stronghold (NBA, NCAA, etc.) and it's got Hollywood. It completely dominates it's CSA.
Yes, this is all true about LA. It's dominance does tend to overshadow all the other urban areas.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:54 AM

What do you guys think is better, one city in the area that dominates? Or a bunch of cities in an area that pretty much do their own thing?

Old 05-22-2010, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
What do you guys think is better, one city in the area that dominates? Or a bunch of cities in an area that pretty much do their own thing?
I'm actually split on this one. I'm the worst person to ask, since generally I like every city I go to. (Not even lying- I never see the downside to any city much)

I like the diversity of the Bay Area, you have so many different places you can go to, and so many options, changes in scenery, change in feel, everything varies, and it's extremely nice!

Then there's the one city and it's suburb group like Chicago, the benefit is, you know where everything goes down, you know where everything is, it's a bit more organized, it's got a uniform feel throughout it's metro, and it's massive- meaning so many possibilities of things inside the city.

For me, it can go either way. I can see myself living in a city like Boston (One principle city) or like Miami (Multiple principle cities).

How about you?

Old 05-22-2010, 01:03 AM

Quote:
I'm actually split on this one. I'm the worst person to ask, since generally I like every city I go to. (Not even lying- I never see the downside to any city much)

I like the diversity of the Bay Area, you have so many different places you can go to, and so many options, changes in scenery, change in feel, everything varies, and it's extremely nice!

Then there's the one city and it's suburb group like Chicago, the benefit is, you know where everything goes down, you know where everything is, it's a bit more organized, it's got a uniform feel throughout it's metro, and it's massive- meaning so many possibilities of things inside the city.

For me, it can go either way. I can see myself living in a city like Boston (One principle city) or like Miami (Multiple principle cities).

How about you?
I'm pretty split too, I think having multiple principle cities is pretty unique, but it is nice to have one principle city where the "life" of the metro is.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
I'm pretty split too, I think having multiple principle cities is pretty unique, but it is nice to have one principle city where the "life" of the metro is.
Yeah I freakin love our country man, got everything you could possibly need.
Hell we even have a replica of the Eiffel Tower in Vegas! Lol Even though the real one is more impressive.

Want to feel like you're in China, go to China Town San Francisco.
Want to feel like you're in India, go to Devon Avenue Chicago.
Want to feel like you're in London, go to Boston or NYC.
Etc..

We've got most things, granted it's on a smaller scale than the rest of the world, but we're probably the only country to have diversity like that, in people, in culture, in languages, in shopping, in ethnic enclaves, and natural scenery all put together make USA awesome!!

Old 05-22-2010, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Yeah I freakin love our country man, got everything you could possibly need.
Hell we even have a replica of the Eiffel Tower in Vegas! Lol Even though the real one is more impressive.

Want to feel like you're in China, go to China Town San Francisco.
Want to feel like you're in India, go to Devon Avenue Chicago.
Want to feel like you're in London, go to Boston or NYC.
Etc..

We've got most things, granted it's on a smaller scale than the rest of the world, but we're probably the only country to have diversity like that, in people, in culture, in languages, in shopping, in ethnic enclaves, and natural scenery all put together make USA awesome!!
Yep, thats why so many people come here to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City