U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 10:31 PM

3,732 posts, read 4,293,849 times
Oh ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 10:34 PM

3,070 posts, read 7,637,055 times
If you think about it I'm sure there are thousands of famous people from small towns that noones heard of.

For example, Charles Barkley is from Leeds, Alabama, a small town with a population of 10,500 fifteen miles east of Birmingham.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:38 PM

153 posts, read 224,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I also think there are some people that have association with an area not necesarily more famous

to me
Gates/Seattle
Trump/NYC
Ben Franklin/Philadelphia

etc.

Trump/NYC not so much, but agree with Franklin/Philadelphia & Gates/Seattle. Honestly, wouldn't give Seattle much attention were it not for Gates (Redmond, to be precise), and to a lesser extent, Howard Schultz/Starbucks and Bezos/Amazon.

Old 05-22-2010, 11:20 PM

2,978 posts, read 2,883,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelieveInCleve View Post
If you think about it I'm sure there are thousands of famous people from small towns that noones heard of.

For example, Charles Barkley is from Leeds, Alabama, a small town with a population of 10,500 fifteen miles east of Birmingham.
True, but I think the point of the thread is to list cities that are home to people whose degree of fame far exceeds the degree to which their city is known to people outside of it. Let's consider your city (which also happens to be my hometown) for example: Halle Berry is an internationally recognized A-list celebrity, whose fame arguably far exceeds the relative degree of international recognition the city itself has. In my case, the same can probably be said of Beyonce vis-a-vis Houston, though the "fame gap" is probably smaller in this case, as Houston becomes more internationally renown.

Old 05-22-2010, 11:50 PM

13,856 posts, read 13,173,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelieveInCleve View Post
Exactly. I once worked on articles on little towns and it was interesting finding the famous people who came from some of them. Like...

Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle - He came from Smith Center, Kansas which has about 1931 people. He left at a young age though.

Dick Armey - Apparently raised in Cando, North Dakota which has a population of 1,342. The town where he went to college for his B.A. apparently has around 15,000.

Norman Borlaug - Nobel Peace Prize Laureate known for the "Green Revolution" came from Cresco, Iowa which has 3905 people. Although actually it looks like he came from a town near Cresco that's a bit smaller than 3900.

Sissy Spacek - From Quitman, Texas which only has two or three thousand people.

Henry A. Wallace - Vice-President under FDR and Progressive Party nominee for President in 1948. He came from Orient, Iowa which has a population of around 400.

Robert Penn Warren - He won a Pulitzer Prize for All the King's Men. He was born in Guthrie, Kentucky (population 1469) and died in Stratton, Vermont (population 136)

Last edited by Thomas R.; 05-23-2010 at 12:16 AM..

Old 05-23-2010, 01:25 AM

13,856 posts, read 13,173,715 times
Although if what's more desired is really famous people who are from cities which aren't as famous as them.

W. Mark Felt as "Deep Throat" is better known than Twin Falls, Idaho.

Both Langston Hughes and Dennis Weaver are likely more known than Joplin, Missouri.

Both Ashton Kucher and Elijah Woods are likely more famous than Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

Toni Morrison is almost certainly better known than Lorain, Ohio.

Oscar-winner Elizabeth Shue might be more famous than Wilmington, Delaware.

John Steinbeck is probably better known to the world than Salinas, California or Salinas, California is largely known due to him.

Hilary Swank might be better known internationally than Lincoln, Nebraska or Bellingham, Washington.

Then there are some very famous singers, like Johnny Cash and John Mellencamp, who came from what would be deemed "small towns." (Cash's is a small town by my standards at under a 1000) Gary Cooper came from the medium-sized towns of Helena and Bozeman, Montana.

I still might be getting into the spirit of what's desired though.

Last edited by Thomas R.; 05-23-2010 at 01:42 AM..

Old 05-23-2010, 05:33 AM

9,807 posts, read 5,807,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Although if what's more desired is really famous people who are from cities which aren't as famous as them.

W. Mark Felt as "Deep Throat" is better known than Twin Falls, Idaho.

Both Langston Hughes and Dennis Weaver are likely more known than Joplin, Missouri.

Both Ashton Kucher and Elijah Woods are likely more famous than Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

Toni Morrison is almost certainly better known than Lorain, Ohio.

Oscar-winner Elizabeth Shue might be more famous than Wilmington, Delaware.

John Steinbeck is probably better known to the world than Salinas, California or Salinas, California is largely known due to him.

Hilary Swank might be better known internationally than Lincoln, Nebraska or Bellingham, Washington.

Then there are some very famous singers, like Johnny Cash and John Mellencamp, who came from what would be deemed "small towns." (Cash's is a small town by my standards at under a 1000) Gary Cooper came from the medium-sized towns of Helena and Bozeman, Montana.

I still might be getting into the spirit of what's desired though.

In your world maybe.

I know a lot and have heard a lot of many of those cities on your list-----Lincoln Nebraska, Bellingham Washington,Cedar Rapids Iowa,Wilmington Deleware, Twin Falls Idaho, Joplin Missouri,-----

I , frankly , have heard little about those people who came from there.

Everybody is different.

Not everybody remembers every Tom, Dick, and Harry's 15 minutes of fame .

Old 05-23-2010, 06:01 AM

1,771 posts, read 1,844,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
I don't know if anybody has said it yet, and honestly I'm a little too lazy right now to go back and look but Michael Jackson was born and raised in Gary, Indiana. That might not fit the criteria though since I doubt when MJ got famous he stuck around there.
Since MJ was most famous person on the planet, could he be compared to LA & NY's fame?

Old 05-23-2010, 06:24 AM

9,807 posts, read 5,807,508 times
--W.Mark Felt--

I'll bet if you stopped people on the street and asked if they ever heard of Twin Falls Idaho, there might not be a lot.

It still would be more than those who knew who W.Mark Felt was.

Old 05-23-2010, 06:33 AM

1,666 posts, read 1,904,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Oak Park -vs- Frank Lloyd Wright is the only one that really comes to my mind. And thats only because its a suburb of Chicago so most people think Chicago not Oak Park.

It would go something like:
Chicago -> Frank Lloyd Wright -> Oak Park
Frank Lloyd Wright >Spring Green, WI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City