Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 09:50 PM

117 posts, read 127,824 times

Advertisements

Ok heres the story.

Simply, I dont like the cold the older I get. When I lived in Florida, my blood thinned so any cold climate is now going to bother me more whether its New England, even the Pacific NW has bothersome weather for my nerves.

I am debating to go to 4 warm climate areas. Only problem is one of them I know (Tampa/St Pete area) and the other 3 I really don't. It will be a case of the devil i know vs 3 that I don't but am currently closer to the other 3 by far in distance yet mentally and spiritually, Florida is trying to pull me back. Hurricanes and all, some risky situations included too that I dealt with last time that maybe I can avoid this time but I know one thing.. I NEED A WARM CLIMATE. I hate all this cold and its just getting worse.. even the northeast wasn't this cold 10 years ago. The NW now has caught up to the northeast weather of 10 years ago Id say. I am in the Portland area to say the least and I didn't put it in here deliberately because it has the least comparisons to any of these.

Financially I am strapped right now though.I get SSI. I have to work for at least a few years to get the desired amount of money so I can move out, away from where my mom and stepdad are. Things are in a very rocky situation.

So yes can someone tell me the differences you think for someone like me, remember, the devil I know (Tampa/St Pete but prefer Tampa or other to Pinellas County) vs 3 that I don't know or have experience with or even been to but they're all closer to where I currently am.

I hear some good about Tucson but also quite a bit of bad too.

Phoenix, Maricopa county, one of the worst racism areas in the USA, even above Florida I think but a lot of jobs, more than Tucson it seems like. Mesa I considered, but might be too sleepy and too small. I don't want Tempe I know that. I know one thing, I don't wanna be called or assumed to be a muslim just because I have olive toned skin or sport a beard at times.

The thing I fear about Tucson is that it would mirror St Pete or have some of the traits St Pete has that I didn't like, high crime, poverty, bad economy, college town feel being even more also. I don't want a college town, big or small. Thats probably out for me.

Now onto VIVAA Las Vegas now.. what is intriguing to me about Vegas is its an all night town.. ALL NIGHT still, more singles probaby.. more than Tucson I'd imagine also. Smaller, less traffic than Phoenix as well.. GOOD FOOD. Cigar scene. Diverse enough to where you can live in a run down neighborhood but the crime be not so bad at the same time especially around the ethnic eateries. I like some of the areas not on the strip for living from everything I seen, I just don't want Summerlin or any of those places in gated communities. Henderson maybe I'd be open to.

Then theres Tampa which is where I would pick or immediate outskirt like Valrico, I might even be open to Pasco County if I am buying. Not sure which way I will go on this but its out there if I want it probably and want to save money as I don't want yuppie filled areas that are going up in cost so as "crappy" as some say Pasco is, I'd rather have it than Largo or any of those craphole Pinellas areas near St Pete. Plus I knew of more than a few people who moved to Pasco and have been encouraged to try it too but never have. It MIGHT just be the answer.. or around Tampa somewhere in a cheaper suburb, maybe even Zephyr Hills in Pasco which is closer to Tampa. I do want to at least be on the Hillsborough side though or into Pasco maybe. Tallahassee I never been to so I will stick with TB on this as its the devil I know. I also won't consider Sarasota to live. Been there done that too.

But about Tampa, I like the scene, Ybor, some of the older parts, the stores, some of the areas, the layout, still gun friendly enough. Better than the St Pete side..

SO I'd appreciate opinions or if anyone has been to all 4 of these, excellent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 09:22 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,508,020 times
I personally would pick the Tampa/St. Petersburg area. Would you consider Lakeland? It's a little farther from the Gulf Coast, but it costs less, has a beautiful lakefront downtown, great access to Orlando and its offerings, yet still in the TSP area and its offerings. I have friends who live there and love it. I lived in Orlando for a year and was surprisingly impressed with that corridor between Orlando and Tampa. Good luck wherever you land!

Old 02-05-2019, 09:38 PM

58 posts, read 88,500 times
You have some interesting cities on your list. I had all of these same cities on my list when I was planning to move away from the cold in the Chicagoland area 5 years ago.

I'm black so I was concerned about facing racism or just an overall lack of my community in Phoenix. So although it seems like a nice city I passed on that one too.

I've always found the Southwest to be gorgeous and intriguing. Tucson has its issues too but it's so super affordable that I decided to give it a try. Some other circumstances changed in my life to make me end up in Atlanta instead so I never got the chance (but it's amazing here)

Las Vegas seems like the perfect combination of the rugged and uniquely Southwestern beauty along with the glamour of a well developed city with tons of things to do and see, yet still not a place everyone moves to, although its a popular vacation spot. And it's actually more affordable than I ever realized. If I were you, I'd pick Vegas.

Florida in general started to fade from my list mostly because everyone goes there and it seems crowded. But Tampa is still nice and probably the best metro in Florida so if it's in your heart then I think it's worth making sacrifices for. But if you want a less difficult move and a new adventure, I'd say Las Vegas. I would forget about Phoenix and Tucson. Just my opinion.

Old 02-06-2019, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
I personally would pick the Tampa/St. Petersburg area. Would you consider Lakeland? It's a little farther from the Gulf Coast, but it costs less, has a beautiful lakefront downtown, great access to Orlando and its offerings, yet still in the TSP area and its offerings. I have friends who live there and love it. I lived in Orlando for a year and was surprisingly impressed with that corridor between Orlando and Tampa. Good luck wherever you land!

I'd probably pick Pasco if I wanted a lower COL area honestly. It runs down Alt 19. I like that ride overall from or to more north of Pinellas. If I had to live there I could lets put it that way.

Lakeland seems good if you want to be between Tampa and Disney.. I seen that ride before and ya I don't think I'd want to live there honestly. Pasco at least runs along the water somewhat. I never knew FL life without a beach either haha so it felt weird going to Lakeland area plus having to go through Plant City, it wasn't my cup of tea really.

Tampa area, outside of St Pete is fine. St Pete has like a few good parts but the rest not so much. Not including some of Pinellas Park either which some people like living there in parts or Seminole.

So you pick Tampa hands down over these other areas huh? Very useful to know. I really don't think I'd like AZ at the end of it all honesty after doing some research. Even around their big cities or Mesa too possibly.

Old 02-06-2019, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androcles View Post
You have some interesting cities on your list. I had all of these same cities on my list when I was planning to move away from the cold in the Chicagoland area 5 years ago.

I'm black so I was concerned about facing racism or just an overall lack of my community in Phoenix. So although it seems like a nice city I passed on that one too.

I've always found the Southwest to be gorgeous and intriguing. Tucson has its issues too but it's so super affordable that I decided to give it a try. Some other circumstances changed in my life to make me end up in Atlanta instead so I never got the chance (but it's amazing here)

Las Vegas seems like the perfect combination of the rugged and uniquely Southwestern beauty along with the glamour of a well developed city with tons of things to do and see, yet still not a place everyone moves to, although its a popular vacation spot. And it's actually more affordable than I ever realized. If I were you, I'd pick Vegas.

Florida in general started to fade from my list mostly because everyone goes there and it seems crowded. But Tampa is still nice and probably the best metro in Florida so if it's in your heart then I think it's worth making sacrifices for. But if you want a less difficult move and a new adventure, I'd say Las Vegas. I would forget about Phoenix and Tucson. Just my opinion.

I may not be black but I still come to the same conclusion it seems like. I also don't think Phoenix or Tucson would work out well. Scottsdale for sure not. Mesa no. Flagstaff for sure not. Arizona pretty much out.

Vegas or Tampa this boils down to I'd say. I also been to the other Vegas, the cold one.. ManchVegas.. that was my type of city too I'd say albeit smaller and colder. It was actually Manchester airport I got assumed to be a muslim at the airport.. had to go into extra screening. In AZ that would be abundant I bet. No shortage of that crap I'd imagine. Thats the modern day version of Jim Crow, probably worse. Its us vs THEM. Thats it. Illegals over there, Americans over here but I know the language they're speaking all too well and its code word-ism. My take is if you're black in AZ you have to "tow that line".

It sounds like you didn't like Tucson very much though if at all.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:27 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,508,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingNewEngland View Post
I'd probably pick Pasco if I wanted a lower COL area honestly. It runs down Alt 19. I like that ride overall from or to more north of Pinellas. If I had to live there I could lets put it that way.

Lakeland seems good if you want to be between Tampa and Disney.. I seen that ride before and ya I don't think I'd want to live there honestly. Pasco at least runs along the water somewhat. I never knew FL life without a beach either haha so it felt weird going to Lakeland area plus having to go through Plant City, it wasn't my cup of tea really.

Tampa area, outside of St Pete is fine. St Pete has like a few good parts but the rest not so much. Not including some of Pinellas Park either which some people like living there in parts or Seminole.

So you pick Tampa hands down over these other areas huh? Very useful to know. I really don't think I'd like AZ at the end of it all honesty after doing some research. Even around their big cities or Mesa too possibly.
Yeah, I can understand. Pasco is closer to the beaches, so that would be a good consideration for you. I loved Lakeland because it was near the Orlando theme parks, near Tampa, very affordable, neat so much, and still not too far from the beaches. My friends in Lakeland like it for the same reasons I do. Whatever meets those needs for you is best. My parents-in-law have friends in New Port Richey (Pasco Co.) and they like it a lot.

Old 02-06-2019, 03:29 PM

58 posts, read 88,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingNewEngland View Post

It sounds like you didn't like Tucson very much though if at all.
Yeah it's just a cheap place to live but I realized it wasn't for me. I still like the Southwest, but if I ever move out that way this time I'll only be looking at Las Vegas.

Old 02-06-2019, 05:10 PM

10,053 posts, read 14,414,649 times
I lived in Tucson for 7 years, and have also spent a lot of time in Phoenix.

If you are not into a "college town," then Tucson is probably not for you. Tucson is an amazing city, and has a lot to offer in terms of activities, proximity to mountains, low cost of living, great warm year-round weather, sunshine more than 3/4 of the year, and not too big, not too small. However, the University of Arizona dominates a large part culturally, socially and economically in Tucson.

Even though Tucson is much larger than a "town," its 530,000 population still does not feel like a large city, and in many neighborhoods, you feel like you are in a smaller place.

Phoenix is large, sprawling and has many of the exact same features and activities Tucson offers, but just on a much larger city scale. With 4 pro sports teams, a major airport and tons of things to do, there is no shortage of anything you would need.

Add in 24/7 gambling and world class entertainment to Tucson or Phoenix, and you pretty much have Las Vegas. Vegas is very similar in terms of housing, layout and weather to both cities.

I have only spent time in the Bradenton/Sarasota areas, a bit south of Tampa/St Pete. I really enjoyed my time there, as I stayed with relatives in a retirement golfing community. I could see enjoying the activities there, but it does get extremely humid, with a huge issue with constant bugs and some snakes--alligators too haha. So, it depends if that even matters to you or not.

Old 02-06-2019, 06:21 PM

23,438 posts, read 44,044,945 times
Quote:
Would you consider Lakeland? It's a little farther from the Gulf Coast, but it costs less, has a beautiful lakefront downtown, great access to Orlando and its offerings, yet still in the TSP area and its offerings. I have friends who live there and love it. I lived in Orlando for a year and was surprisingly impressed with that corridor between Orlando and Tampa. Good luck wherever you land!
Winter Haven is another often overlooked gem in the Orlampa Corridor. A vestige of Old Florida, and so few remain.

https://www.visitflorida.com/en-us/c...ter-haven.html

Old 02-06-2019, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I can understand. Pasco is closer to the beaches, so that would be a good consideration for you. I loved Lakeland because it was near the Orlando theme parks, near Tampa, very affordable, neat so much, and still not too far from the beaches. My friends in Lakeland like it for the same reasons I do. Whatever meets those needs for you is best. My parents-in-law have friends in New Port Richey (Pasco Co.) and they like it a lot.

Yea and like anything, theres parts not to be in. Moon Lake I heard bad but some parts might be good too. I know someone in Pasco though, from WA state, says he likes it better than anywhere hes been. Same with this other guy who took off, moved to Montana and he came right back. To Pasco. I had another person even suggest for me to come out that way but I wasn't ready to leave St Pete at the time but now that I saw how bad St Pete got, lets say its more competitive and I'd have way less desire to live there if theres a next time around to return to TB area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City