Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Boston 94 59.49%
Houston 64 40.51%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 01:42 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,783,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Yes, we give up. You are right, everyone else is wrong.
You basically said there's no history of any importance in Houston -- I gave evidence that's untrue, so untrue in fact that a huge monument was built (the D.C. monument comparison given as perspective, yet you automatically assume it's only meant as brag because of your self-admitted stereotypes of Texans) -- yet now that we state facts to refute your incorrect claims, but we can't do that because it's show of an "inferiority complex" and other such cliched foolishness.
Whatever. Same old, same old on C-D....
Yes, of course, cry foul. Because that's what happens. Someone argues with you, and you don't like it.

When a Texan says, "x is bigger then y..." what is the natural conclusion to be thought? You didn't present it so much as fact, but as a bragging right, so please. How many hundred of thousands of times, do we unfortunate non-Texans hear, "Everything is bigger in Texas."? I drew the only natural conclusion.

What facts were being prclaimed, btw? I wrote about the US-Mexican War. Read about that. I said that was the bigger deal. That war was more important to US history than the Texas Revolution. But again, not good enough. If I had come out and blindy stated, "Yes, the Texas Revolution was a pivotal moment in 19th century America." You wouldn't argue with that. You'd say, "Of course it is!" and pat yourselves on the back.

But rather, I said, the TR/BoSJ were merely important to Texas history rather than the bigger picture. Because of them, Texas won its independence...but really what bearing does an independent Texas have on the United States, at that moment? None, really. That the really importance comes during the US-Mexican War. Are you guys not familar with that?

And that yes, history is just history. But sometimes, when considering important events, some of them are SO important to the fabric and identity of this nation, that they stand above others. In this case, the Boston Tea Party, or Massacre, or Lexington.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:57 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
Yes, of course, cry foul. Because that's what happens. Someone argues with you, and you don't like it.

When a Texan says, "x is bigger then y..." what is the natural conclusion to be thought? You didn't present it so much as fact, but as a bragging right, so please. How many hundred of thousands of times, do we unfortunate non-Texans hear, "Everything is bigger in Texas."? I drew the only natural conclusion.

What facts were being prclaimed, btw? I wrote about the US-Mexican War. Read about that. I said that was the bigger deal. That war was more important to US history than the Texas Revolution. But again, not good enough. If I had come out and blindy stated, "Yes, the Texas Revolution was a pivotal moment in 19th century America." You wouldn't argue with that. You'd say, "Of course it is!" and pat yourselves on the back.

But rather, I said, the TR/BoSJ were merely important to Texas history rather than the bigger picture. Because of them, Texas won its independence...but really what bearing does an independent Texas have on the United States, at that moment? None, really. That the really importance comes during the US-Mexican War. Are you guys not familar with that?

And that yes, history is just history. But sometimes, when considering important events, some of them are SO important to the fabric and identity of this nation, that they stand above others. In this case, the Boston Tea Party, or Massacre, or Lexington.
Dude, I'm not going to argue with you because Boston does play a larger role in our nations history. Boston and Philadelphia, IMHO are the parents to our country's history.

Now that thats settled let's review why what the real reason for the Mexican-American War was:

"The Mexican–American War was an armed conflict between the United States and Mexico from 1846 to 1848 in the wake of the 1845 U.S. annexation of Texas, which Mexico considered part of its territory despite the 1836 Texas Revolution."

Quote:
The Mexican government had long warned the United States that annexation would mean war. Because the Mexican congress had refused to recognize Texan independence, Mexico saw Texas as a rebellious territory that would be retaken. Britain and France, which recognized the independence of Texas, repeatedly tried to dissuade Mexico from declaring war. When Texas joined the U.S. as a state in 1845, the Mexican government broke diplomatic relations with the United States.
The war was an international stage, Britain and France were allies with the Republic of Texas. If you look into the history, Britain was because of the rebellious nature of the USA which led them to favor Texas more at the time. And France simply because the USA and France had a calm time period in which they both strongly supported Texas over the Mexicans.

Anyways, etc etc... the war went on blah blah blah, and the result gave the USA 1/3 more territory thus finishing the American dream of "Manifest Destiny".

See our history goes hand in hand with each other, but yes, Texas's history is pretty meaningless to the rest of the country on the East the Mississippi River.

I'm not really trying to offend you but yeahh just thought I throw the real history in there lol.

Last edited by DANNYY; 05-31-2010 at 02:32 PM..

Old 05-31-2010, 02:44 PM

^My good lord, does no one know how to read?
That is exactly what I said.

For everyone's info, I think the whole idea of manifest destiny is fascintating. Heck, I'm going to California in a week...how else would that be achievable if not for that concept. So yeah, I do get it.

I never once said, it was meaningless to American history, but to put it in the same category as you put it "the parent of our country" yeah, it's a little contrived.

Old 05-31-2010, 02:57 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
Quote:
^My good lord, does no one know how to read?
That is exactly what I said.

For everyone's info, I think the whole idea of manifest destiny is fascintating. Heck, I'm going to California in a week...how else would that be achievable if not for that concept. So yeah, I do get it.

I never once said, it was meaningless to American history, but to put it in the same category as you put it "the parent of our country" yeah, it's a little contrived.
No I never said you thought it was meaningless, lol. I just read I can see why the history in Texas doesn't appeal to those on the other side of the Mississippi.

Lol and I'm not trying to argue either, because like I already said, historically Boston > Houston.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:28 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
Quote:
When someone insists on arguing for the sake of arguing, in a condescending and holier-than-thou way, then no, I don't like it and don't really care to be a part of it.

Not only do you do the exact same thing you accuse the "Texans" of doing with all of your posts in the thread loaded with bragging of Boston's "largest, wealthiest, oldest, yada yada yada", but you do it in a very condescending way.
No thanks.

Quote:
Sure it is. It is the oldest continous port in the western hempishere.

It's certainly older than Houston's. I know, I know, it's yet another plus about Boston that upsets you.
Quote:
Open a book about this country. Oh wait, Texas is rewriting history.
Quote:
Oh please, if it happened in Houston, you wouldn't let us forget it, and you, I, and everyone knows that.

Again, the Port of Boston-which in the 21st century is one of the largest ports on the eastern seaboard. But given the fact the city is 400 years old, and that the fact you are American is directly tied to the Port of Boston. That's the fact. That's pretty damn important.
Quote:
We all get it, everything is bigger in Texas...and no one else cares. I know it's pretty difficult to understand, but we really don't care.

As for NASA-ever hear of Massachusetts Institute of Technology? Yup, thought so.
Quote:
That this is all about some inferiortiy complex Texans are infamous for. It's in the same vain as saying, "my monument is bigger than your monument."

We'd all HAVE to care if they took place in Houston, wouldn't we?
^Case in point.

Sometimes I really have to wonder, with all of the attention some regions of the country are getting regarding economy, housing market, relocation, etc... that perhaps some of the slower growing or more stagnant areas are the ones developing an "inferiority complex" with some people who don't like these trends.

Last edited by AK123; 05-31-2010 at 03:37 PM..

Old 05-31-2010, 03:53 PM

well that study you quote says nothing negative about New England, other than tha it's cities are "skilled anchors."

Everything you quoted by me, is fact. All relative to debating Boston and Houston.

Just think of that inferiorty complex the next time you're standing beneath that monument.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:27 PM

882 posts, read 2,244,491 times
Just on a further note, this is mainly how it all went down.

Due to TX's independence at San Jacinto, TX became its own republic, which a few years lated, opted to be annexed by the US instead. The US annexed it, despite Mexico saying that doing so would mean war. Then a conflict occured over the border, the US claimed the Rio Grande as the border, while MX claimed the Nueces River. On April 25, 1846, a 2,000-strong Mexican calvary detachment attacked a 70-man U.S. patrol that had been sent into the contested territory north of the Rio Grande and south of the Nueces River. And thus, the Thornton Affair ensued, resulting in the spilling of American blood, which caused the Mexican-American War, in reality, just provided an excuse for the US to get into war with Mexico, but whatever. Which then lead to the US winning the war, and the Mexican Cession.

So that's how the Battle of San Jacinto paved the way for the US to complete its manifest destiny. Not comparing it to Boston's historical significance, but just making sure lmckin knows that that wasn't just important to TX. You can still acknowledge the historical significance of other cities, without downplaying its importance. Some people act like Boston was the birthplace of mankind with their superior attitudes.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:41 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
We as in you, not we as in me. I would still live in the United States.

The Battle of San Jacinto was part of the Texas Revolution, not as important to US history as the war that would follow a generation later-which leads to your actual point.

As for westward expansion...We as in the United States were expanding regardless of Texas' annexation. If Texas lost its Revolution, We would have just expanded around Texas...very simple-besides, wasn't it an independent nation for a while anyway?

The states you list, were given up by Mexico after it lost the US-Mexican War a full decade after the Texas Revolution. The war began because the US annexed Texas as a territory, and Mexico wasn't too keen on this idea-which hadn't recognized the validity of Texas' independence.

Ergo, if We the United States lost the US-Mexican War, than yes, Texas, California, et al, would have remained Mexican Territory, in all likelihood.

All I'm saying is that the Texas Revolution/Battle of san Jacinto has little to no bearing on US history as a whole-of course Texas history and by association US history. And that the events in Boston in the latter half of the 18th century led directly to the creation of the United States.
You don't realize how wrong you really are. If Texas had not won the Battle of San Jacinto, then it would have remained Mexico (as well as the states I mentioned). The reason why the US got into a war with Mexico was because the boundaries of Texas were being disputed between the US and Mexico, therefore giving the US an easy reason to go into war. I don't know how the US could have "gone around Texas", when Texas would have just been one small part of the Mexican empire. Stop trying to downplay this historical event just because it did not happen in Boston.

Quote:
ps..not discrediting NASA-but it's existence is based on technology and brain power from MIT [and other top universities]. NASA didn't fall from the sky.
And? You don't know where most of the NASA workers went to school. Boston is a great city with great universities, but you are really giving WAY too much credit to Boston and think it plays a part in everything.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
but you are really giving WAY too much credit to Boston and think it plays a part in everything.
It very well might...

It is a global economic engine-top 20 power city, 3rd largest financial center in the country [14th in the world, up three spots since 2008], center of western education. Home to some of the largest financial companies in the world [and outside London and New York]. Second largest concentration of high tech jobs and companies in the US after SFB.

http://www.mori-m-foundation.or.jp/e...09_English.pdf

Welcome to Z/Yen (http://www.zyen.com/long-finance/global-financial-centres-index-gfci.html - broken link)

I think I give Boston plenty of credit. Maybe more people should pay attention to it.

Oh yeah, they managed to beat the British Empire and found a nation.

Is there nothing that city can't do?

Old 05-31-2010, 05:38 PM

965 posts, read 1,884,510 times
^^I'm glad someone's putting those Texans in their place

Houston does have great restaurants though. Lots of delicious food. Probably explains why so many are so morbidly obese down there. Oh well. Some of the folks in Boston looked sickly and pale with the frigid weather and their propensity to consider a "boiled dinner" as the height of their cuisine. I can throw down in the kitchen, so something like that would be revolting to me. I'll throw some Tony Chachere's seasoning on that food and watch those Bostonians scream and head for the hills. Too spicy for them, LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City