U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 06:39 PM

3,732 posts, read 4,293,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
Definitely. City X versus City Y and City A skyline versus City B skyline over and over and over again.
Yeah I see what you mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 06:56 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,807,117 times
I find fun things to do in every city I live in.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:19 PM

196 posts, read 344,906 times
Well, if you're interested, there was a correlation of 0.51251 between rank of the metro population-wise and rank in fun-ness on the OP's list. Less than I would have expected. The least fun metros for their size were Houston and San Bernardino; most fun for their size were Vegas and New Orleans. Cities whose fun rank was equal to their population rank were New York, Boston, and Pittsburgh.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:58 AM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 2,278,769 times
the most boring lame place I have ever been IMO is Daytona Beach, FL. If I wasn't in school I would have been even more bored. Everything close at 10, even McDonalds (well they changed ONE to 24 hr my second yr). There are not many real clubs. I think I was more upset and disapointed because I believed it would be like how they show on MTV and BET. Contrary to what the media shows the majority of the people living on the opposite side of beachside (the majority of the city) are black and well I wouldn't say poor but it does not seem they have money. A lot of areas are ghetto. The AIDS/HIV/STD rates are CRAZY! to the point they advertise it on buses and billboards. The majority of beachside is majority if not all white. They live in nice homes or the affluent stay in Ormand (majority white as well). They close everything on beachside for all black events and keep them open for later for all white events. I think this surprised me the most because I live in Detroit and I thought we were the only place that had these type of race relations. That here was the only place where the relationship between blacks and whites was very strained. (But even in Detroit there are majority blacks living in the affluent neighborhoods.) Esp because the media shows everybody partying on the beach everytime they show Daytona. The only good thing about it is its a college town so there were a lot of school events and during Spring Break and BCR there would be celebrities there on beachside to go to the clubs. Other than that Daytona sucks to me. Oh and lets not forget how I was scared out of my life because it was a serial killer killing local women around my school and apartment and from what I know they never caught him. Matter of fact they didn't even know what he looked like besides being tipped that he was a white male. I know what your thinking "but your from Detroit" right? I don't care I was SCARED!

Old 05-25-2010, 07:06 AM

1,858 posts, read 2,952,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
So seriously, you have been to all 50 of these cities and have spent significant time in each one? You must be over 60 years old. I do not get this list. What is the criteria anyway.
I agree, I highly doubt you've been to all 50 metros (I counted 14 that I've been to from your list), and unless you have, not sure it's fair to rate all of them.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:40 AM

94 posts, read 251,800 times
I live in Houston and don't find it to be all that exciting...

BUT, pretending like Dallas is more exciting than Houston, especially that much more exciting (where Dallas is one of the top 10 most exciting metros in the country) is idiotic. There's little you can do in Dallas you can't do in Houston...and both cities have little areas of advantages over the other...

...but aside from an honest difference in the overall "personality" of the cities (Dallas more of a keeping up with the Joneses attitude, Houston more of a laid back drive; though again, both cities have factions of all types)...Houston and Dallas are really very similar, as large, spread out, Texas sprawling cities, with relatively flat geographies, tons of freeways and shopping, variety of restaurants and nightlife...but nothing all that special.

My guess is the OP either hasn't been to both Houston and Dallas, or has but has nonetheless fallen victim to the general national stereotype of Houston as more of a hick town and Dallas as more of an upscale place...

...when in reality, both places, by virtue of their sheer sizes, have plenty of stuff to do and keep you entertained, but neither really have anything that sticks out as truly awesome and memorable from a non-boring perspective.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:30 AM

415 posts, read 645,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1 View Post
Heres my list in order. 50- BORING, 1-FUN
50 San Bernardio
49 BirmingHam
48 OKC
47 Raleigh
46 San Jose
45 Sacremento
44 Houston
43 Buffalo
42 Jacksonville
41 Salt LakeCity
40 Charlotte
39 Cinci
38 Indianapolis
37 Tampa
36 Pheniox
35 Milwakee
34 St.Louis
33 Kansas City
32 Cleaveland
31 Denver
30 Columbus
29 Orlando
28 San Diego
27 Louiville
26 Virginia Beach
25 Hartford
24 Providence
23 Richmond
22 Pittsburg
21 Mineapolis
20 Detroit
19 Austin
18 Nashvile
17 Baltimore
16 Portland
15 Memphis
14 New Orleans
13 Atl
12 San Antonio
11 Washington
10 Boston
9 Seattle
8 Dallas
7 LA
6 Miami
5 San Fransisco
4 Las Vegas
3 Phily
2 Chicago
1 New York
Charlotte and Raleigh are surprisingly low I know plenty more cities that dont have no where near where what either Raleigh or Charlotte has thats on this list! Charlotte should be around 15 or so, have you never been to Charlotte or Raleigh?!

Old 05-25-2010, 11:37 AM
eek

3,576 posts, read 4,081,279 times
charlotte is pretty boring and so is raleigh. 40's boring? i dunno, but they should be low on the list, definitely.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:22 PM

1,858 posts, read 2,952,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
charlotte is pretty boring and so is raleigh. 40's boring? i dunno, but they should be low on the list, definitely.
More boring than Providence, Hartford or Detroit to name a few?? Don't think so; if nothing else, the fact that you aren't snowed in half the year should make Charlotte & Raleigh more exciting than those 3 metros!

Old 05-25-2010, 01:14 PM

3,235 posts, read 4,926,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
More boring than Providence, Hartford or Detroit to name a few?? Don't think so; if nothing else, the fact that you aren't snowed in half the year should make Charlotte & Raleigh more exciting than those 3 metros!
Haven't spent much time in Detroit , but I'd put Providence and Hartford ahead of Charlotte and Raleigh minus the major league sports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City