Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 10:16 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,248,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
well, we live on the east coast. many of us in ny have lived in the south or visited often...whereas (from my own personal experience), there aren't too many ppl from detroit in the south. i have never met anybody from detroit that lives in the south...

my point is that during my time in the south, i didn't meet too many ppl from the mid west. most transplants were from the north east or other areas in the south.

But you said you spent a lot of time in Charlotte, a city with a large amount of Northeastern transplants. Atlanta, Nashville, Texas, and the West Coast of Florida (if you consider that the South) get the larger share of Midwestern transplants. I've met many Detroit and Michigan transplants here in Atlanta. Matter of fact, one of my friends is dating a lady from Detroit who joined a church full of Detroit transplants because the pastor was from Motown. Michigan has one of the larger outbound migration patterns in the country, and many of them are heading south (a lot heading west too):

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 12:12 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
This list is just one person's opinion. Everyone argues why my city is 40 and not 4 or 8 and not 5.

It is like saying how can you like pepperoni better than sausage on your pizza; well because they do...

Old 05-26-2010, 02:34 PM

132 posts, read 390,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
This list is just one person's opinion. Everyone argues why my city is 40 and not 4 or 8 and not 5.

It is like saying how can you like pepperoni better than sausage on your pizza; well because they do...
Thank you.Someone with sense.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:37 PM

132 posts, read 390,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
Lol, all you have to do is look at the OP's username "Memphis1"...if you haven't caught on by now this whole site is full of bias opinions, but it's still entertaining.
In My opinion Kansas city was nothing special.Just like every other mid western city.St.louis was a lot better.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:42 PM

645 posts, read 1,451,895 times
what about DC ??

Old 05-26-2010, 05:13 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,392,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
well, we live on the east coast. many of us in ny have lived in the south or visited often...whereas (from my own personal experience), there aren't too many ppl from detroit in the south. i have never met anybody from detroit that lives in the south...

my point is that during my time in the south, i didn't meet too many ppl from the mid west. most transplants were from the north east or other areas in the south.

so basically we have more "experience" with the south, so we make the comments that we do about the south from our experience and/or word of mouth (because lets be honest, a lot of ppl believe in stereotypes without ever stepping foot in said areas). for example, you don't really hear a lot of opinions negative or positive from nyers about areas that are not on the east coast (in real life). i think most east coast ppl stick to the east coast and most west coast ppl stick to the west coast. america is really large but we are pretty limited ppl when it comes to moving, visiting family, etc. we tend to just move up and down our coasts. mid west ppl might do things differently, tho.

nycricanpapi is right IMHO, from a northern point of view. most southern metros ARE boring. the only ppl that think that certain cities that i will not name are exciting are ppl from smaller cities.

i used to talk to a girl from rock hill, sc that thought that charlotte was real large and had too many ppl and was too hectic.

but to me, charlotte is very small and there isn't a whole lot thats interesting to do. we had two different perspectives on the same thing because she's from a small area in sc and i'm from queens, ny.

we (nycricanpapi and myself) know that atl isn't boring but the majority of southern metros are nowhere near atl (or miami, dallas/houston, dc, etc.) in terms of things to do, the music scene, sports, etc.
this far from the truth. There are plenty of Detroit people who live down south, visit and orginally are from the south. Atlanta, Houston, Dallas etc have plenty of Detroit people especially Atlanta. FL has plenty of MI people period. So to say NYers have more "experience" with the south is wrong. Majority of our families are from the south and have been visiting relatives in the south since before people started moving down there. I have been to some places in the south that are far anything like Atlanta or Houston metros, like Greenville, MS for example, and still had fun. I've also been to plenty of cities in GA from Atlanta, Decatur, College Park, Eastpointe and even Thomasville and was able to find something to do. Just like I've been to Chicago plenty of times and LA as well and have been doing nothing but staring at the ceiling all day. It depends on what YOU make of it.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:06 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,181,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1 View Post
In My opinion Kansas city was nothing special.Just like every other mid western city.St.louis was a lot better.
It's cool man, these are your opinions, but sometimes you have to keep it equal, you're from Memphis so ofcourse your going to put it where you think it should go because you enjoy it there, but other people see it differently.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:41 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,400,203 times
Quote:
Heres my list in order. 50- BORING, 1-FUN
50 San Bernardio
49 BirmingHam
48 OKC
47 Raleigh
46 San Jose
45 Sacremento
44 Houston
43 Buffalo
42 Jacksonville
41 Salt LakeCity
40 Charlotte
39 Cinci
38 Indianapolis
37 Tampa
36 Pheniox
35 Milwakee
34 St.Louis
33 Kansas City
32 Cleaveland
31 Denver
30 Columbus
29 Orlando
28 San Diego
27 Louiville
26 Virginia Beach
25 Hartford
24 Providence
23 Richmond
22 Pittsburg
21 Mineapolis
20 Detroit
19 Austin
18 Nashvile
17 Baltimore
16 Portland
15 Memphis
14 New Orleans
13 Atl
12 San Antonio
11 Washington
10 Boston
9 Seattle
8 Dallas
7 LA
6 Miami
5 San Fransisco
4 Las Vegas
3 Phily
2 Chicago
1 New York
I don’t know what it is about Vegas that people find so appealing. Maybe since I’m just not wired to be a true gambler, there really wasn’t much else to do besides that…and the performances on the strip. The club scene in Vegas was garbage (for a black man like me anyway). I like New Orleans way better. I also agree that Memphis shouldn’t have placed as high on this list. I’ve visited several times, and I didn’t really like anything about it. I haven’t been in several years, but the scene in Memphis was SO ghetto back then which isn’t always necessarily a bad thing. I can handle the occasional “hole in the wall” type spot at times- sometimes they’re the most fun but for my personal taste I would rather do a New Orleans hole in the wall any day. New Orleans locals will agree that someone will eventually “catch that wall”. Locals will know exactly what I mean by that…

Old 05-26-2010, 10:20 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,742,367 times
Quote:
But you ranked KC ahead of St. Louis. I don't understand your list, sorry

Old 05-26-2010, 10:56 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
1. Whole Bay Area
2. Denver.
3. Tucson (Yes I have fun there)
4. Miami
5. San Deigo
6. Chicago
7. Los Angeles
8. NYC
9. Philadelphia
10. Austin
(None in any particular order)

I am done with my list, those are the most "fun" for me. If I listed all the large cities I have ever been to, I would probably have like about 32-35 tops, I haven't been to more than 35 for sure. So I can't really complete the list.
Nowhere that bars take your drink and kick you out the door before 2 AM can be considered tops in any list of mine. This includes all cities in both CA and MA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City