U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-19-2010, 12:36 AM

1,248 posts, read 1,021,042 times
We try to tell some of you no one truly LIVES in Manhattan. . . Lol.

Alot of Transplants live there (and hate it) and then leave because they thought that was "The City". . . Far from it. Then they think they can tell you "How NYC is. . " because they "lived here for several years. . ."

NY isn't the center of everyone's universe, you're correct but it is for about 8 Million of us so why keep bring up the same thing? We love our city just as much as you would (should) love yours. It's not our fault that you guys read/watch/believe everything that's printing/taped. Get over it. Go contribute to your cities and find out how you can make a difference. Stop trying to prove anything to us because at the end of it all, we all get it you don't like it here. Cool. Next. Bye. It still doesn't change anything.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:29 AM

151 posts, read 161,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
New York City is really a dump for ordinary people who have been fleeing. And they have been starting to flee (and this is from your media):
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/24/ny...york.html?_r=1

Four tales of city dwellers who fled New York

wgrz.com | Buffalo, NY | Report: New York Losing Population to Other States

New York aside from finance and certain cultural tenets...is really for the better off tourists. Middle class aspirations...are elsewhere.

But since you vain NY Super Boosters have been in denial or hiding under rocks, it's not up to me to reveal how Houston and Texas have been gaining quite impressively in population.

"Quality of life" is not something that can be measured? Really? Groceries, rent, other cost of living..., red tape, endless nocturnal noises, dirty immediate environment (the Hudson River is one large conveniently shaped toilet seat compared to Houston's overall much greener environs).

There is more to the Montrose than "American Apparel" and "Buffalo Exchange." This goes to show how certain East Coast Snobs are too freaking blind and IGNORANT to notice the plethora of INDEPENDENT boutiques that exist in the Montrose, not that the Montrose is the only area for eccentric and eclectic shopping in the greater Houston area. Nothing more to say on this obviously. We can have converted commercial cottages or Victorian mini-mansions alongside conventional business buildings in some of Houston's commercial areas. Can't really say that about New York City's commercial constructs.

In the modern world, Houston IS one of the best US restaurant cities:

We got the dish from food columnist John Mariani - 2010-Feb-24 - CultureMap Houston

Best cities for restaurants,America's Best Restaurant Cities | News Blog

Can't believe Houston could be a top five US restaurant city, eh? Man, how provincial and behind the times many "Yankees" are...

Does it make you NY Super Boosters and other assorted "Yankees" mad that other cities across the world are starting to look at other US cities RATHER THAN New York to start noteworthy businesses and franchising? Such as Modena, Italy (city of Ferrari) which used Houston to open its first wave of Minuti Coffee, as an example?

NY isn't the center of everyone's universe. Accept it.
Wow, I've must have hit a nerve. And how ironic that I'm in Houston at this moment. Finally I can "rant"!

1. Houston is ugly. Jesus Christ. I mean, really my eyes hurt. I've had a migrane since I've left the airport and arrived at my hotel. Miles and miles of hideous and depressing highways, run down strip malls as far as the eyes can see, devoid of even an ounce of architecture, filthy looking air, overweight people waddling about. Just a poor environment. I've always hoped the "Houston is ugly" complaints were exaggeraed, until work started to sending me to this godforsaken dump. Oh well, at least I'm compensated very well and can afford to live in a glorious house in one of NYC's fabulous suburbs and get to rub it in your face!

2. Houston is extraordinary low class. I'm sitting in this alleged luxury "Hotel Derek" I've experienced more luxury in Jersey City. LOL. Last month, I was at the Four Seaons in Downtown Houston. Downtown Houston is a barren wasteland.

What do people eat here? There is absolutely no decent grub at all, no wonder the people here themselves go. Like everyone is fat. Never in my life have I seen such a thing. And the Galleria? What a lousy mall, but Houstonians clearly have low standards so it will do I suppose.

"Uptown". I went to Hermes earlier today and I lauged the second the chauffeur dropped me until I arrived back to this dumpy hotel. Never in my life have I ever seen a Hermes so offensive.. a Hermes in a stucco stripmall? So nasty. So tacky. So low class, so....Houston.

I took a photo with my phone and sent it to my friends in NYC and we all had a good laugh. The humor certainly brightened up otherwise depressing day. It was definately an "uh oh Toto, we aren't in New York or Greenwich anymore!" moment. Hah!

"Montrose". In a nutshell: Run down antique furniture shops, bargain basement recycled clothing outlets, bootleg hipsters who are too poor to afford Brooklyn, tattoo parlors, crackheads roaming about, cracked pavement with weeds growing about, rows of bungalows sprinkled with a random try hard modern home here and there (in typical Houstonian taste -- low rent) . A great neighborhood, really? Yes, sure and I'm Prince Charles.

3. Houstonians are uncouth. This "middle class influx" has done absolutely noting to improve the city. Houston doesn't have many rich people to finance the arts, etc like New York City. Because let's be honest with ourselves here -- nobody successful in their right mind would ever live in Houston. This is what you Southerners don't understand -- It's not about fast growth, it's about high quality growth. Hence the New York City metropolitan area trumping any other metropolitan area one it comes to wealth and Houston being at the very bottom. Great!

I hate myself for it, but every time I set my foot in this toilet I can't help but to always feel so elitist and superior, like I'm somehow culturing these animals. I'm clearly much too above this cesspool. And you wonder why Houston is incredibly cheap, and New York is incredibly expensive. Google "Law of Supply & Demand"

Last edited by Yankee.; 12-19-2010 at 02:01 AM..

Old 12-19-2010, 01:35 AM

59 posts, read 45,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee. View Post
Wow, I've must have hit a nerve. And how ironic that I'm in Houston at this moment. Finally I can "rant"!

1. Houston is ugly. Jesus Christ. I mean, really my eyes hurt. I've had a migrane since I've left the airport and arrived at my hotel. Dirty depressing highways, run down strip malls as far as the eyes can see, devoid of even an ounce of architecture, filthy looking air, overweight people waddling about. Just a poor environment. I've always thought the "Houston is ugly" complaints were exaggeraed, until my job started to sending me on assignments in this godforsaken dump. Oh well, at least I'm compensated very well and can afford to live in a glorious house in one of NYC's fabulous suburbs and get to rub it in your face!

2. Houston is extraordinary low class. I'm sitting in this alleged luxury "Hotel Derek" I've experienced more luxury in Jersey City. LOL. Last month, I was at the Four Seaons in Downtown Houston. What an ugly downtown.

What do people eat here? There is absolutely no decent grub at all, no wonder the people here themselves go. Like everyone is fat. Never in my life have I seen such a thing. And the Galleria? What a lousy mall, but Houstonians clearly have low standards so it will do I suppose.

"Uptown". I went to Hermes earlier today and I lauged the second the chauffeur dropped me until I arrived back to this dumpy hotel. Never in my life have I ever seen a Hermes so offensive.. a Hermes in a stucco stripmall? So nasty. So tacky. So low class, so....Houston.

I took a photo with my phone and sent it to my friends in NYC and we all had a good laugh. The humor certainly brightened up otherwise depressing day a bit. It was definately an "uh oh Toto, we aren't in New York or Greenwich anymore!" moment. Hah!

"Montrose". What a dump. Independent boutiques? LOL, what? Would you like to repeat that?

Think about it for a second. You're gloating to someone who lives around NYC, Fashion Capital, home of famous neighborhoods like Greenwich Village. And you for a second think I would be impressed with Montrose? Really? Like really really? Hmm, where should I start with Montrose. Run down antique furniture shops, bargain basement recycled clothing outlets, bootleg hipsters who are too poor to afford Brooklyn, tattoo parlors, cracked pavement with weeds growing about, bungalows mixed with a random "try hard" modern building here and there (and in typical Houstonian taste -- low rent) . A great neighborhood, really? Yes, sure and I'm Prince Charles.

3. Houstonians are uncouth. It's not about fast growth, it's about high quality growth. Hence the New York City metropolitan area trumping any other metropolitan area one it comes to wealth and Houston being at the very bottom. Houston is great for the poor and low skilled, but it certainly is no place for a highly educated/highly paid/cultured "worldly man" (which you are clearly not). Houston seems to get lots of trash from the East and West Coast, which is great as the East Coast now dominantes every sort of wealth statistic. Great!

I hate myself for it, but every time I set my foot in this toilet I can't help but to always feel so elitist and superior, like I'm somehow culturing these animals. I'm clearly much too above this cesspool.

And you wonder why Houston is incredibly cheap, and New York is incredibly expensive. Google "Law of Supply & Demand"
You are brutal man.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:05 AM

9 posts, read 4,302 times
To

mrwest

He is not brutal by any count he is just ashamed we all on here could say because wordlyman admitted some hard evidence and facts. Anyone would resort to such harsh words you really think this individual is in Houston guess again. He got owned by wordlyman completely by true evidence of what he thought new york had but does not.

Personally I was blown away by some of what wordlyman had posted and stuff that was current and accurate about new York’s decline in population with in the last couple of years. It is something I can see alot of people have been trying to get theme to understand on here. Especially since this thread was started about stuff that new york does not have. Well anyone with enough since to not stick there hand in fire knows the country let alone other cities has way more to offer and way more stuff than new york.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
New York City is really a dump for ordinary people who have been fleeing. And they have been starting to flee (and this is from your media):
New York aside from finance and certain cultural tenets...is really for the better off tourists. Middle class aspirations...are elsewhere.\
No ****. Cities like New York, Paris, London, Rome, San Francisco and the other great cities in the world ARE NOT the type of places people go with middle class aspirations. In general, they all attract the rich, youth and immigrants.

People with huge aspirations trying to make it in NYC (London, Paris, etc) is what gives them unparalleled culture. So many talented people in one city trying to be a "somebody".

All that population growth in Houston but nothing to show for it. Not many high paying jobs. Lacking culture. Still boring. Still a largely ignored city.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:13 AM

Hey mrwest you live in Seattle right. I had a question I have a buddy of mine who lives out there stationed in the military and he and his family are in love with the city and want to stay out there.

In the next year he is getting ready to retire and wants to make that his home how is real state out there right now I know we can always go on the internet but it would be nice to have some insight from someone who lives out there if you do not mind.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dushriny View Post
To

mrwest

He is not brutal by any count he is just ashamed we all on here could say because wordlyman admitted some hard evidence and facts. Anyone would resort to such harsh words you really think this individual is in Houston guess again. He got owned by wordlyman completely by true evidence of what he thought new york had but does not.

Personally I was blown away by some of what wordlyman had posted and stuff that was current and accurate about new York’s decline in population with in the last couple of years. It is something I can see alot of people have been trying to get theme to understand on here. Especially since this thread was started about stuff that new york does not have. Well anyone with enough since to not stick there hand in fire knows the country let alone other cities has way more to offer and way more stuff than new york.
No, he was brutal and owned you..oops I mean "worldlyman" (your other screen name I'm guessing since this is clearly a troll account). Come on, Houston couldn't even be compared to Seattle, let alone NYC.

And NYC has actually gained more people than any city in the United States this past decade. It is NOT losing population. Like all older large cities in the United States, (NYC, SF, LA, Bos,), they might all have had a net domestic decrease but they gain from international immigration.

Numerical Gains From 2000-2010:
- + 438,210: New York City
- + 328,644: Houston
- + 311,286: Phoenix
- + 247,907: San Antonio
- + 218,024: Fort Worth
- + 159,923: Charlotte
- + 148,899: Los Angeles
- + 138,978: Austin
- + 138,679: Atlanta
- + 136,524: Raleigh
- + 129,396: Dallas

Old 12-19-2010, 02:31 AM

Well I will say I have been to alot of cities in the united states and also to London. But one thing is for sure and that is you are right no one goes to a big city to have just a normal life in a lot of fields they want to be someone big.

Being that is I think a lot of people on here turn to compare new York with tourism since most of us regular middle class people cannot live in big cites in if we do it depends on what city it is. So we turn to what other cities have to offer in terms of luxury and fun and I think this whole thread has been about people sharing there opinions as to what many other cities have to offer new York does not have. In when I say things new York does not have it means things that may appeal to different types of people who might enjoy themselves better in some other place or big city versus new York.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dushriny View Post
Well I will say I have been to alot of cities in the united states and also to London. But one thing is for sure and that is you are right no one goes to a big city to have just a normal life in a lot of fields they want to be someone big.

Being that is I think a lot of people on here turn to compare new York with tourism since most of us regular middle class people cannot live in big cites in if we do it depends on what city it is. So we turn to what other cities have to offer in terms of luxury and fun and I think this whole thread has been about people sharing there opinions as to what many other cities have to offer new York does not have. In when I say things new York does not have it means things that may appeal to different types of people who might enjoy themselves better in some other place or big city versus new York.
This thread isn't about everyone wanting to move to NYC. It's about NYC being the best city in the US. And that's obvious. Well it was actually about "what other cities have something NYC doesn't have" that got derailed by new account anti- NYC trolls (probably one or two people behind this with too much time on their hands)

I don't want to live in NYC or Paris now at least because they're really expensive, but I still think they're hands down the best cities in the world.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:44 AM

Oh well I don’t think this individual made this stuff up when it was on links straight from a lot of magazines and publishers out of new York. Ok I am sorry but just on a positive level I can say one thing is one hundred percent true new York city by itself is not really the main immigrant capital of the united states anymore.

As I told you I have been to many cities and I have been more than blown away by the amount of immigrants just in the last ten years from 2000 to 2010 in other cities all across America. So if you or anyone does not think it is true thane they need to go to the papers in new York and find out why they printed it or even on there websites representing there city. I am not insulting you I just do not know why they would say that when I think we are all educated enough to say the united states today has grown so big there are millions of other things to offer.

1.better living.
2.cheaper real state.
3.better school systems.
4.not as crowded better jobs.
5. more available jobs.

In all kinds of other good stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.