Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2010, 09:36 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,693,957 times

Advertisements

YouTube - Tiger In Harlem apartment

Old 05-26-2010, 09:38 AM

2,710 posts, read 6,073,076 times
An NBA franchise.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:42 AM
eek

true story. st johns should suit up instead.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:43 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,835,148 times
"....so I says to my brudderinlaw, "I saw a bald eagle down on toidy-toid street"..and he goes... "Fuggetaboudit!"...so I says "no, really, I saw him, an' he wus choipin and everthin'...I tells ya ..I couln' effin' believe it.."

A New Yorker has a brush with "nature"...

Old 05-26-2010, 09:44 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,458,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
ha! can't view youtube at work, but i remember that guy. he obviously
had emotional issues. didn't the tiger almost rip off his arm but he still
wanted to keep it? lol

btw, there was a nut in phillywho kept an alligator in his rowhome. the exterminator found it in the basement.

Alligator, Piranhas Found In South Philadelphia Home - cbs4denver.com (http://cbs4denver.com/watercooler/Alligator.Piranhas.Philadelphia.2.1048010.html - broken link)

imagine being an exterminator, just heading down to the basement to spray and see this guy hanging out what's wrong with people?

Old 05-26-2010, 10:33 AM

8,488 posts, read 20,542,091 times
Quote:
nyc wildlife;
(poor, poor turtle)
(prospect park)
nature?
(flower in queens. the man believes the flower resembles ganesh)
but i guess we don't have wildlife and nature, tho. rolleyes
If you want to fool yourself into believing that a few birds equal nature then go right ahead. There is no place in the world that is devoid of nature when looked at in those terms.

Of course most people are not going to look at it in those terms.

When a website for the Bronx River touts about having one beaver sighted, it is definitely nice to see a comeback possible but sorry I wouldn't view that as NYC having wildlife.

I may not have been so critical in the past but after reading a multitude of posts in other threads about how Florida is devoid of any culture, etc., mainly from NYers, I am just posting in kind.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:45 AM

8,488 posts, read 20,542,091 times
Quote:
because nyc can't have one of nothin' more:
before i go on, can you whale watch in your city???
but we don't have nature tho. nope. rolleyes
And please tell me where in NYC you can go whale watching.

If you want to count that then anyone in any city has everything because all they have to do is get on a boat or plane and go to it.

I think all of those tours go out of Montauk anyway so not even in NYC.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:17 PM

11,327 posts, read 20,245,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Haha it isn't a few blocks from the N/W train, def further than that. I lived in the neighborhood for a while. It's more like a mile and a half from the subway, lol.
Lol yeah, I knew it was either 1 block or 1 mile. Guess it was 1 mile lol.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:23 PM
eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
If you want to fool yourself into believing that a few birds equal nature then go right ahead. There is no place in the world that is devoid of nature when looked at in those terms.
ok then. so when ppl sit there and say that ny doesn't have nature, its bull and they deserved to get called out for it.

and ny is more than just a few pigeons here and there. there are hawks in nyc. there are swans, mallards, etc.

if you want to fool yourself in thinking that ny is just a bunch of buildings, one tree and a squirrel chillin with a rat and a pigeon then go ahead. it doesn't make it true.

we have many parks and we have wildlife and nature outside of these parks as well.

Quote:
Of course most people are not going to look at it in those terms.
i don't care what ppl look at, but tell the truth.

if you or someone else doesn't know about nyc just say it. why make stuff up based on things you heard about?

unless you have been through the boroughs and have or have not seen it you shouldn't say anything about nyc when it comes to this.

we have a wildlife refuge, beaches, botanical gardens, parks, etc. but now all of that isn't good enough because ppl don't want it to be.

how many inches will the goal post be moved??

Quote:
When a website for the Bronx River touts about having one beaver sighted, it is definitely nice to see a comeback possible but sorry I wouldn't view that as NYC having wildlife.

I may not have been so critical in the past but after reading a multitude of posts in other threads about how Florida is devoid of any culture, etc., mainly from NYers, I am just posting in kind.
get at me when the bronx river is the end all be all of nature in nyc.

i guess because the bronx river lacks beavers that the entire city, all of the boroughs doesn't have nature.

and, i personally never said anything about florida not having culture so...find somebody else to quote "in kind."

if you want to find out about nature in ny, do so yourself.
i've posted examples of the nature you can find in ny. why don't you find information to prove your point?

and nyc is more than a few birds, lol.

smh at this. a bunch of ppl with preconceived notions on what nyc is like and they all have no idea.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:33 PM

11,327 posts, read 20,245,100 times
Quote:
both are garbage but at least sonic has decent drinks.

cici's is absolute unadulterated pure trash. i wouldn't even feed it to a stray dog.
Blasphemy.

CiCi's is banging (depends on the time of day), Sonic is good too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Cow Pasture. Cheap housing. Great driving conditions. Palm trees. Hunting grounds. I was going to say dead skunks in the road, but I think you do see those in NYC on occasion.
Cow pastures, NYC has a farm (or farms) so I guess there's cows & pastures but idk.

Cheap housing, well you can find a cheap place to live in any city. That doesn't mean it'll be all big and fancy.

Great driving conditions, yeah, people act like traffic is just backed up 24/7. There's plenty of highways that offer "smooth sailing".

Palm trees, yes they're in NYC. Of course there's not a lot but plenty of species are from climates with colder Winters than NYC. You can google zone 7/8 Palm trees and see what you come up with.
One example (The Windmill Palm):
http://www.geographylists.com/trachycarpus_fortunei.jpg
http://www.seabreezenurseries.com/Tr...unei-snow2.jpg

Hunting grounds, not too sure about that one, there's fishing if that counts as hunting. I doubt the city would want people running around with rifles, that's just more guns on top of what's already there.

Wow I'm nice lol.

And yes NYC has nature, there's forests in Staten Island, Queens, and The Bronx. Queens also has that huge Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge/Sanctuary, which I bet is larger than Manhattan, its run by the National Parks system if I remember correctly, its the only wildlife refuge in the National Park system I believe. Coyotes show up in NYC too, I'm sure Staten Island probably has Deers, I know its part of the logo on one of the MTA's bus depots there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City