Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2010, 09:44 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,234,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USASportsBlogs View Post
What cant you do in NYC?
NYC obviously has the most to do in any US city, so what other cities have lots to do?

I was about to say that NYC lacks beaches until I remembered Coney Island (although I didn't go there when I visited in '08).

Central Park is great, but Portland's Forest Park is THE park for hikers (and it's the largest park within a city in the US, with numerous trails, one of them 30 miles long. . This is 'real' hiking in the wooded hillsides ~ not flat trails.)

There are other parks, including Washington Park, which houses the zoo (an excellent one, has the best elephant exhibition in the nation), Rose Garden, archery range, Hoyt Arboretum, Japanese Gardens, many tennis courts, outdoor theater, a forestry museum, children's museum, and many trails. This connects to Forest Park.

We have a pretty good art museum, OMSI (Oregon Museum of Science and Industry, which I think is merely okay). We have theater and performing arts like most cities.

We're app 80 miles from our beautiful coastline, app 80 miles for skiing (Mt. Hood) app 80 miles from the Pacific Crest Trail, and app 100 from some of the best wind-surfing in the nation (Hood River, Cascade Locks, etc.).

Things unique to Portland:

2nd largest blues festival in the nation, held on the waterfront every 4th of July for 4-5 days.

Home of the Micro-Brews! There is a minimum of 120 micro-brewers in Portland, And there are many micro-brew festivals.

3rd largest air show in the west coast (In the burbs about 20 miles out).

It isn't in Portland, but McMinnville (app 35-40 miles out) is home to the Evergreen Air Museum (which houses the Spruce Goose). And I'll go ahead and mention that it's also home to the UFO Festival in May.

Terrific salmon fishing, even downtown Portland.

We may not compete with NYC, but we're respectable for our size. And we have better weather, as far as I'm concerned (although I prefer Calif climate over Oregon's).

Old 05-26-2010, 11:20 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,802,913 times
even i can admit new york has nature. the bronx river area comes to mind, and doesn't staten island even have farms?....

but new york doesn't have affordability, laid back/easy going population, modesty, an atmosphere of faith, good sense of humor, and last but not least, it doesn't have the south ....NY is a pretty smooth city, but i can't imagine being happy without the above things in my life

the city has been described as disney world for adults, which it probably is, but it just takes itself way too seriously

Old 05-26-2010, 11:31 PM

37,733 posts, read 40,776,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
This includes the 9,000+ acre Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refugee, the only wildlife refugee operated by the National Park Service.
Why is that? Is it a wildlife refuge or a park? The other national wildlife refuges are operated by US Fish and Wildlife Service, Dept of the Interior.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:47 AM

9,096 posts, read 13,110,836 times
Default Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Why is that? Is it a wildlife refuge or a park? The other national wildlife refuges are operated by US Fish and Wildlife Service, Dept of the Interior.
New York City changed some of its public lands in the Jamaica Bay area into a wildlife refugee. However, the area is so significant for wildlife and is pretty large so the National Park Service decided to add it directly to the Gateway National Recreation Area. Today it is operated as one of the units of Gateway.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:05 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,289,192 times
Quote:
New York City changed some of its public lands in the Jamaica Bay area into a wildlife refugee. However, the area is so significant for wildlife and is pretty large so the National Park Service decided to add it directly to the Gateway National Recreation Area. Today it is operated as one of the units of Gateway.
Is this the place adjacent to JFK?

Old 05-27-2010, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post

Nature? If you consider parks and sculpted landscapes "nature", sure. Mountains? Nope. Killer views which have a balance of urban AND nature? Nope. Wildlife beyond the random pidgeon, squirrel, and falcon? Nope.

Don't even TRY to compare nature, you're looking like a fool. Just go to the Grand Canyon and see for yourself what NYC is lacking.
Well not many cities have anything like the Grand Canyon in them.

As for nature, alot of people only know New York as the tourist eye view of Manhattan. And they think New York parks are either small public squares or are all planned like Central Park.

One of the best places of course to find very diverse wildlife is when land meets water. And that certainly is true about a seaport city like New York with its bays, coves, marshland and creeks.

So in addition to the "random pidgeon, squirrel, and falcon" you can add hawks, opreys, egrets, herons, otters, beaver, wild turkeys, pheasants, red fox, deer, sharks, dolphins & porpoise, harbor & grey seals, oysters, crabs, clams, bluefish, flying squirrels, sea turtles, striped bass, brant geese, sturgeon, seahorses, oystercathers, etc.

A occasional whale, Bald Eagle or even a Florida Manatee can make an appearance. And Brooklyn has its own Parrot, the Monk Parakeet.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Is this the place adjacent to JFK?
A good part of it.

But when the planes are landing you can see other parks surrounding the airport like Brookville, Woodmere, Edgemere and the Inwood Country Club.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:31 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,289,192 times
Quote:
A good part of it.

But when the planes are landing you can see other parks surrounding the airport like Brookville, Woodmere, Edgemere and the Inwood Country Club.
Thanks, I assumed it was.

There are areas visable on certain arrival/departure paths that look like solid marsh. I always figured from maps I've seen that it was part of the Gateway area.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:17 AM

8,488 posts, read 20,542,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
like i said, if you want to find out more about nature in nyc then find out for yourself.

what do i look like trying to prove your point? prove your own point.

and it doesn't matter if you're my mother's age, if you never left your block then you never left your block. doesn't mean that nyc doesn't have nature, because we do.

well its like 5 against one. 4 and a half sound like they've never been to nyc at all and the other sounds like he never left his stoop.

no one said that nyc had the best wildlife in the country or the best nature in the country. all i'm saying is that we have nature and wildlife.

its not about ny being on top.
I have been all over NYC but it is you that seems as if you have never left the city.

Once you go somewhere that is actually abundant with wildlife maybe you will see the difference that some of us are talking about.

I am done with this subject.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:20 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,693,957 times
its a good thing you're done because you've been proven wrong by multiple posters from ny.

for the record, i've been to southern germany, italy, northern mexico, austria as far as out of the country and i've been all over the u.s. as far as inside of the country.

so you can stop with the never leaving the city bull.

i'm an avid birdwatcher as well. so you can cut the crap. anything else you want to be proven wrong on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City